ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-21-17, 03:16 AM

AcctUhd456 is on a distinguished road
Psychiatrist and Provigil

I have been taking stimulant medication for 3 years this May and I want to taper off and quit it for good(Right now I'm on 50mg Vyvanse). How do I tell my Psychiatrist about trying Provigil?

I have done my research on it 1-2 years ago and have tried Nuvigil(Armodafinil) as a 30 day FREE trial from my pcp but I didn't have insurance at the time. Now I do.

This time I would like to start Provigil(modafinil) because I would suspect it would be cheaper since they're is a generic in case Nuvigil will still be expensive even with insurance and also because Nuvigil made me jittery and nauseated and tasted so horrible(OMG that's the first thing I remember).

I had mentioned to my Psychistrist about trying Provigil very briefly while he was writing a script a couple times just to let him know I would want to talk about it next appointment but he didn't seem to care and said its not for ADHD.

--oh and this is random--

I asked my general doc one time when I was sick that he could prescribe me medications for now on for my ADHD because the psychiatrist down stairs has way too many patients and that my appointment is always 1 hour after the time I am scheduled and of course the psychiatrist visit is cost more(I literally go to my psychiatrist almost every month-is that the same for you guys and gals?)and he said 'sure just ask him if you could start going to him quarterly or biannually to maintain diagnosis,etc. and have me prescribe medication every month' or something like that lol. I than mentioned it to my psychiatrist the next appointment and he said "why do you want to do that....than I said cause its too crowded and than be gave me script without an answer. He is kind of old school.It got me kind of angry when I went home. Other than that he is nice I just don't really know how to talk to him even after 14 months or so.

1.Why did my general doctor prescribe me Nuvigil with trust and confidence while Psychiatrist didn't even care to ever talk about it again?

2.My next appointment is 3/13 and I am going to bring it up. Can you give me pointers and advice as what to say and talk about to my psychiatrist?

Old 02-21-17, 05:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,327 Times in 12,770 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Psychiatrist and Provigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctUhd456 View Post
I have been taking stimulant medication for 3 years this May and I want to taper off and quit it for good(Right now I'm on 50mg Vyvanse). How do I tell my Psychiatrist about trying Provigil?

I have done my research on it 1-2 years ago and have tried Nuvigil(Armodafinil) as a 30 day FREE trial from my pcp but I didn't have insurance at the time. Now I do.

This time I would like to start Provigil(modafinil) because I would suspect it would be cheaper since they're is a generic in case Nuvigil will still be expensive even with insurance and also because Nuvigil made me jittery and nauseated and tasted so horrible(OMG that's the first thing I remember).
Why provigil? You dont want to try any other stimulant medication?What makes you want to stop a stimulant?
Nuvigl and Provigil are both similar but Nuvigil is missing an isomer that Provigil has which makes it work a little differently. Dont get me started on my opinion about why Cephlan decided to magically make Nuvigil right around the time that Provigil would be going generic.....

Quote:
I had mentioned to my Psychistrist about trying Provigil very briefly while he was writing a script a couple times just to let him know I would want to talk about it next appointment but he didn't seem to care and said its not for ADHD.
Well its not for adhd but there were some promising studies about how it could be good for adhd. It used to be prescibed off label for adhd until a patient-a child- developed Stevenson-Johnson syndrome and Cephlan had to stop promoting it off label for adhd.

Quote:
I asked my general doc one time when I was sick that he could prescribe me medications for now on for my ADHD because the psychiatrist down stairs has way too many patients and that my appointment is always 1 hour after the time I am scheduled and of course the psychiatrist visit is cost more(I literally go to my psychiatrist almost every month-is that the same for you guys and gals?)and he said 'sure just ask him if you could start going to him quarterly or biannually to maintain diagnosis,etc. and have me prescribe medication every month' or something like that lol. I than mentioned it to my psychiatrist the next appointment and he said "why do you want to do that....than I said cause its too crowded and than be gave me script without an answer. He is kind of old school.It got me kind of angry when I went home. Other than that he is nice I just don't really know how to talk to him even after 14 months or so.
It is unusual that after a long time of being on stable meds you would still have to go monthly. Most doctors have you come every 3 months at that point.
Quote:
1.Why did my general doctor prescribe me Nuvigil with trust and confidence while Psychiatrist didn't even care to ever talk about it again?
What did the general doc prescribe the Nuvigil for?
I dont know how you are going to convince a psyche that you should be allowed to see him every 3-6 months or why you should be able to ask for a narcolepsy medication instead of an adhd medication.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 02-21-17, 08:29 PM

The reason for provigil is because I've seen that its a alternative that lots of people have success with long term than previous stimulant medication. I guess me and them are one of those that can't handle stimulant meds long term due to side effects, habit forming,etc.

I don't think my general doc should have ever prescribed me provigil. I got confused on some questions he was asking including did you ever do a study research(or something along those lines)?When he meant study he meant if I submitted a sleep study. I said yes because I seriously thought he meant did you do your research on this particular drug lol. So I was prescribed it by accident.

I've been taking these meds for 26 months and it is just not for me. I don't want to see a doctor especially Psychiatrist forever and ever when I could change my behaviors. So I thought maybe after months of tapering slowly off Vyvanse I could take provigil a few days a week since ADHD behaviours may still be there that I could use a medication for that is more effective than coffee but less strong than amphetamine based medications.

Tell me what you think..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-17, 05:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The reason for provigil is because I've seen that its a alternative that lots of people have success with long term than previous stimulant medication. I guess me and them are one of those that can't handle stimulant meds long term due to side effects, habit forming,etc.

I don't think my general doc should have ever prescribed me provigil. I got confused on some questions he was asking including did you ever do a study research(or something along those lines)?When he meant study he meant if I submitted a sleep study. I said yes because I seriously thought he meant did you do your research on this particular drug lol. So I was prescribed it by accident.
I hear you on this, I think Provigil shows a lot of promise for people that cant handle stimulants or who can kinda handle them but not enough to tolerate the side effects. If you are worried about habit forming or something like that I think you should consider being more open to traditional stimulants. Only because we cant be afraid to treat our very real disorder just because the potential for abuse exists. The potential for abuse exists with a lot of medications that relieve symptoms that are very impairing, including chronic pain and pain meds. And some people would say that they do not want to be reliant on something like antidepressants because they think they shouldnt be affected by something like bipolar, but in reality it could be the thing that saves their lives. I think it would be good for you to consider a sleep study regardless because there are many people that have hidden sleep issues apart from obvious signs of stuff like narcolepsy, that could be helped by medication. Plus if it turns out you would clinically benefit from provigil AND it helped your adhd you would be golden.

Quote:
I've been taking these meds for 26 months and it is just not for me. I don't want to see a doctor especially Psychiatrist forever and ever when I could change my behaviors.
What do you mean by this? What behaviors do you think you can change? If you have adhd, alot of those things are not limited to "behaviors" and medication can be a lifesaver. Medication can help us make those positive behavior changes that we couldnt do unmedicated.

Quote:
So I thought maybe after months of tapering slowly off Vyvanse I could take provigil a few days a week since ADHD behaviours may still be there that I could use a medication for that is more effective than coffee but less strong than amphetamine based medications.
No matter what med you take, the importance of consistency cant be overlooked. I know some people will tell you that breaks prevent tolerance or you dont want to have to increase over time, or stuff like that but, adhd is a 24/7 thing and for me, I would rather treat that everyday then risk the impairments that would be devastating.

Impairments do not go away, even with good behavior changes, most of us will still have areas that suffer. This suffering is not the same as the suffering a NT person might have because of a last minute project. We suffer with the daily stuff and the complicated stuff. I have no issue taking whatever medication I need for bipolar and adhd, even if its a big bad controlled substance.
I also understand that you dont want to see a psyche forever but generally they are the best to manage psychiatric meds.
I think provigil should be studied a lot more for adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 02-25-17, 02:22 AM

Psychiatrists are the best to manage psychiatric meds if their condition is crippling and/or they plan to take it long term. IMO PCP's can handle ADHD,Anxiety,Depression meds. I'm having my PCP manage mine starting May.I won't suffer from the burden of feeling mentally ill for seeing psychiatrist all the time.I won't have to wait 45-90 minutes after my scheduled appointment to walk in his office for a 15 minute appointment, and the best reason,my appointment cost will reduce significantly.There you have it, 3 reasons to see your PCP instead of Psychiatrist to manage your ADHD with medication if you don't have other disorders and you've been diagnosed by a Psychiatrist already.

Me and you have different opinions regarding ADHD and its effect on those that are diagnosed with it. And I respect that.

I'll think about taking Provigil daily or 5+days week but I really don't want to.
Old 02-25-17, 09:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Psychiatrists are the best to manage psychiatric meds if their condition is crippling and/or they plan to take it long term. IMO PCP's can handle ADHD,Anxiety,Depression meds. I'm having my PCP manage mine starting May.I won't suffer from the burden of feeling mentally ill for seeing psychiatrist all the time.I won't have to wait 45-90 minutes after my scheduled appointment to walk in his office for a 15 minute appointment, and the best reason,my appointment cost will reduce significantly.There you have it, 3 reasons to see your PCP instead of Psychiatrist to manage your ADHD with medication if you don't have other disorders and you've been diagnosed by a Psychiatrist already.

Me and you have different opinions regarding ADHD and its effect on those that are diagnosed with it. And I respect that.

I'll think about taking Provigil daily or 5+days week but I really don't want to.
Fair enough. For the record, I think PCP's get the shaft sometimes when it comes to their ability to manage certain conditions.

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-25-17)