ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-05-03, 07:56 PM

jbdrichey is on a distinguished road
Anyone been on a waiting list to see Dr. about starting meds?

Hi. I am new here. I have a ds who's 7. He was diagnosed in May as PDD, ADHD, and expressive/receptive language disorder. We didn't get the report back until school was out so the school would put him into any special help classes until he failed since he passed the IQ test last year.

Well now we have decided that it might be time to try some meds so I make an appointment and meet with someone, not the DR.,at the physc office and now they will gather the info from the lady talking with him and after she reads the report and will take it to a weekly meeting to discuss with all the Drs. what treatment is best for my son. He will then be put on a waiting list to see the Dr. to actually get the meds.

He is failing tests now so I would like things to start happening ASAP. She did say that the waiting list is based on need so I can get him bumped up if he fails more tests.

Any suggestions? Change Dr. offices? My ped. does not prescribe ADHD meds. Thanks, Brandy
Old 10-05-03, 08:10 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,038 Times in 577 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have an IEP set up for your son in school?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 10-05-03, 08:17 PM

Yes but it is just for speech therapy 1 time a week. The special support teacher has been coming into the room some to help him because his teacher states that he is able to do the work if someone is constantly redirecting him. I just found this out last week from the principle and I was thinking that has been what I have been telling you all along!!!

He also has trouble paying attention in one on one sessions with his outside of school speech therapist and with hockey practices and games.

I need to set up a new IEP but I am waiting to speak with his teacher this week to get a better idea of his needs.

Brandy
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-03, 08:53 PM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone been on a waiting list to see Dr. about starting meds?

Quote:
Originally posted by jbdrichey
Hi. I am new here. I have a ds who's 7.

He is failing tests now so I would like things to start happening ASAP. She did say that the waiting list is based on need so I can get him bumped up if he fails more tests.

Any suggestions? Change Dr. offices?

Thanks, Brandy
What is a "ds?"

Set a date for things to happen. Find a doctor who will "do something" by then by teling them that is what you are looking for! Don't keep that a secret.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-03, 05:46 AM

ds is short for dear son. When I made this appointment I stated that I wanted medication for him. I think I will give her a call before the metting on Wednesday and tell her that the school said he is doing worse and that he has a special support teacher in the classroom to help him sometimes. Maybe that will bump him up on the list if not I guess I will be looking for a different Dr.

I just didn't know if this was the norm for phys. Drs. or not.

Thanks, Brandy
Old 10-08-03, 08:23 PM

I called the Dr. office today. It'll be 1 to 2 more weeks until they even bring his case up at the staffing meetings. Then she will try to get him edged up on the list. She also stated that I could call her with any additional information that she could add to take to the meeting (failed tests, problematic school behavior). She said to try to call his pediatrician and let them know that he is on a waiting list and ask if he can start some medication until he gets in to the psch. Dr. The scheduler at the ped. office is asking the Dr. and getting back to me tomarrow.

Brandy
Old 08-16-04, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Alexa is on a distinguished road
My 11 yr old daughter was tested by a Ph.D in May (took 2 months to get THAT appt!) then we decided to to take her to a GP for the meds. That took another 6 wks. (new patient, etc...) It took ME almost 2 months for one Dr. appt and only 1 day for another! I would think if the pediatrician is anti ADHD medication it would be moot point and time to look for another one or get referred by whoever did the testing. When I made the GP appt for my daughter I told them she had been recently diagnosed and we needed to talk about medication options.