ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 12-08-09, 11:25 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light
Lack of clarity is a huge barrier

I've slowly come to realize that lack of clarity is an ENORMOUS barrier for me. I absolutely have to have a string of crispy tasks in front of me if I want to be anywhere near efficient & productive. I've found that a lot of my motivational struggles come from "skimming" over the thinking of what I have to do to actually complete tasks, when in reality all I really need to do is do the work of clearly defining what I want to have happen, and what the exactly steps are to make that happen. The second part of that is simply to dig in for a few minutes - actually put myself in place & START doing the task - so that I can auto-engage my hyperfocus.

I've found I mostly do a lot of thinking about the idea of doing things, instead of actually doing things and thinking about how I can best complete the task at hand. And that whole "thinking about the idea" of things bit is usually on somewhat of a superficial level, which can sometimes de-motivate me based on how I feel about it. I dunno, that's kind of going off on a tangent, but my point is yeah, I tend to over-analyze things, and part of that is that I don't clearly define what I want and what needs to happen to achieve that. I tend to drop off in motivation very quickly simply by thinking about something, especially if I perceive it to be kinda hard & vague.

Crispy tasks, on the other hand, really help me to know what exactly I'm supposed to do to complete my given task. I really have to force myself through that barrier of just thinking in a little bit more detail lol. I don't know how much sense all of this makes, I'm just trying to say that defining EXACTLY what I want to accomplish & how to accomplish it is a tremendous help to me actually getting started, and feeling okay about it, if that makes sense.
APSJ (12-09-09), fatefm (12-10-09), fraa (12-10-09), wsmac (12-10-09)
Old 12-10-09, 11:40 AM
Jr Member

AlfromGA is on a distinguished road
Re: Lack of clarity is a huge barrier

I totally get it. It causes me to procrastinate in a lot of situations. I like to have a game plan and a comfortable level of understanding before I take on new task. Handyman projects are the worst for me, if it involves something that I've never encountered before. It took me 4 or 5 months to get started laying tile in my bathroom because I had never removed a toilet before. Sometimes I spend so much time thinking about how to get something done, when the time comes to actually get started I've lost interest.
Old 12-10-09, 11:49 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Lack of clarity is a huge barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfromGA View Post
I totally get it. It causes me to procrastinate in a lot of situations. I like to have a game plan and a comfortable level of understanding before I take on new task. Handyman projects are the worst for me, if it involves something that I've never encountered before. It took me 4 or 5 months to get started laying tile in my bathroom because I had never removed a toilet before. Sometimes I spend so much time thinking about how to get something done, when the time comes to actually get started I've lost interest.
Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. People think it's no sweat to do taxes, laundry, take your car into the shop, order a sandwich from Subway, etc., but all of those things were SUPER overwhelming to me because I hadn't done them before. I guess I'm not the type of person who picks up things on a line-by-line basis, but rather a whole-idea basis. Subway (restuarant) used to be super overwhelming for me - I hated going there because I felt like an idiot because there were 50 zillion choices and I just had no idea, no idea at all!. Until I learned enough to place my order in a relatively efficient manner, it was actually stressful lol.

I think I create a lot of my own barriers, kind of build mountains out of molehills. But not of the task itself, but of the enabling tasks to DO that task - like you said with the tile thing, you had never removed a toilet before, so that killed progress and you lost motivation. I totally hear that.
fraa (12-10-09)
Sponsored Links