ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-10, 03:14 PM
Jr Member

talper is on a distinguished road
unable to order thoughts causing me to be unpersistent+low motivated? --risperidone

hello,
im 22 years old male.
from a young age, i found it difficult to learn things by myself and persist and be motivated.
especially in computer, which i like but always found it hard to just sit and learn more then an hour.
i u was loosing focus, disoriented and was confused.
i have this impulsivity of buying technical computer books, and other less hard on the mind books, with big motivation, and lose it all away even 1 hour after i buy them.
i also have this impulsivity to go and buy lets say something to eat/icecream as soon as i want it, even if its 12-1 am.......
i always found it hard to be persistent and keep motivated and was helpless.

i finally heared about adhd and went to a doctor today.
i told him about my problems but he seem to think i dont have adhd but a problem of organising my thoughts.
he claim that this problem may be the cause of all the things i felt over the years, the impulsivity and the problem learning bymyself, or read a book.
he gave me the drug risperidone and told meit may help me and also old me i wont need ritelin because he doesnt thing i have adhd.

how did he decided i dont have adhd but problem dealing and organising thought? and what is it exactly?
i though i have all the signs of adhd+i also have a mother with manic depression and ocd.

all i want is find a solution so i will be able to learn, and will go for another consultation, but really would like to know what does it mean what he said.
any of you know risperidone? can it help me deal with my problem?
and can my problem of inconsistent and lack of motivation+impulsive can be cause by that and not adhd?

please forgive me for my english, as its not my main langauge.

thank you.
Old 06-07-10, 03:37 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,111 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unable to order thoughts causing me to be unpersistent+low motivated? --risperido

My suggestion is seek another medical opinion if you're not sure about this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
KnewItAllAlong (06-10-10)
Old 06-07-10, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unable to order thoughts causing me to be unpersistent+low motivated? --risperido

Risperidone is an antipsychotic that's being prescribed off-label for ADD and OCD. It may or may not work for you. My experience with it was bad, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. Keep an eye on your blood pressure.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 12:47 AM
Contributor

michinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nice

i am REALLY not a fan of doctors prescribing medication "on the fly" ...
not because i'm a doctor myself or anything like that, simply because i look at it from a common sense standpoint.

if it works, then you keep coming back for more medication.

if it doesn't work, then you come back anyway. and pay him to take a closer look at you...which he should have done in the first place, right?

just a bit of advice for you: the ability to sit still for long periods of time and learn from books is NOT universal.

i mean that MORE people learn from demonstrations, hands-on learning, and multimedia than from reading. look at the military...they have a huge investment in making sure that the soldiers learn to do their jobs properly, right?

so do they give the soldiers lots of textbooks and written exams?

no, they give them demonstrations, visual aids, live tasks to accomplish, etc.
they also put people together in pairs/teams to maximize and reinforce learning, and repeat things as many times as it takes to stick.

now, you may disagree with my views, but i hope you do come to believe that not being able to read without getting bored does NOT mean that there's anything wrong with you. it's actually more normal than liking to read. @_@ it's unfortunate that education nowadays is completely reading/writing based. that's really not the way to ensure an intelligent, informed population. =(

i advise you to seek activities and a career that involves plenty of human interaction, a strong, respectable mentor figure, and more use of your physical and creative skills. best of luck to you!
Old 06-10-10, 07:04 AM
Jr Member

talper is on a distinguished road

unfortunatelly i find it also really hard to watch a lecture on the computer..... i dont find it hard on the other hand doing something that doesnt demand "attention" that much, like watching tv or surfing the web doing nothing.
Old 06-10-10, 12:53 PM
Contributor

barnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nice

Man, be careful with that stuff. Had a friend on it for a bit, didn't react well with him at all.
http://www.drugs.com/risperidone.html
Old 06-10-10, 01:48 PM

Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

OTOH, I read stuff from people who LOVED it while I was trying to figure out why I didn't. YMMV, always. I wouldn't take it again because it did awful things to me, but that doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.
Old 06-10-10, 03:58 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: unable to order thoughts causing me to be unpersistent+low motivated? --risperido

Uh boys and girls Risperidone is an ANTIPSYCHOTIC. Yes you will be able to stare at a computer for hours. With a sufficient dosage you will also be able to stare at the television in the day room -- or a microwave oven -- for hours.

There is also the small matter of the diabetes link.

(I am not anti-medication. I am against dubious prescriptions from doctors swayed by drug company salespeople.)
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-10-10, 04:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

KnewItAllAlong will become famous soon enough

Listen to Crazygirl79's advice. She's not so crazy afterall
Old 06-10-10, 05:16 PM

Yeah, it's an antipsychotic, but it's not the only medication (including non-psychiatric medications) that's being prescribed off-label. It's supposed to be helpful for OCD and ADD with OCD behaviors, which is why the doctor (whom I didn't like at all) prescribed it for me.

It raised my blood pressure really high, and gave me what can best be described as white-coat syndrome. Problem was that it kicked in while I was driving. Doing anything different, even passing in a safe passing zone, or seeing a police car, even if it wasn't checking for speeding and I was obeying the speed limit, and I felt like I was going to pass out. I felt very much like this was a drug for keeping people in line because of the way it affected me.

But I kept at it for a month, checked what people said about it as an off-label and an on-label prescription. Didn't like it for me even after giving it all that time.