ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-19, 11:25 PM

Chemist82 is on a distinguished road
Lenten Fasting

As Lent approaches for many Christians, I wanted to share something Iíve stumbled upon, by Godís grace. I actually started fasting early this year, after Septuagesima Sunday, because my father was and is in need of prayer and fasting. To my surprise, I learned it was an ancient tradition to start fasting after Septuagesima Sunday, four days a week, excluding Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, for the 70 days leading up to Easter. Beautiful really.

Iíve always found fasting difficult: hard on the brain. I tried intermittent fasting years ago, but contrary to the reports of its proponents, it did not bring me mental clarity; if anything, it brought fatigue. I fast on Fridays, but Iíve always found myself wore out by the end of the day. This time itís a little different, and Iíve actually started to feel that mental clarity.

Itís important to have a high protein breakfast for those of us with ADD, so Iíve started taking a morning shake with 45 g of whey protein and cashew milk. Itís a little thin, but itís enough to get me to lunch. For lunch, Iíve been having some grape tomatoes, some peppers and Skyr yogurt with about 19 g of protein. I have a normal supper, about 1100 calories.

One benefit of this pattern is that Iím tired and ready for bed at a good hour. I wake up with plenty of time for prayer and Scripture reading, and a little exercise. I hope others might find this routine helpful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chemist82 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-16-19), LeighWolf (03-03-19), Little Missy (02-23-19)
Old 02-23-19, 01:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,487 Times in 12,363 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lenten Fasting

This isn't something I'm familiar with. When I hear 'fasting' I think not eating
anything at all. I didn't realize it can mean abstinence from certain foods.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-01-19, 07:18 AM

Chemist82 is on a distinguished road

It depends on the context , I suppose. Medically, fasting is not eating anything at all (and can sometimes mean nothing to drink). If I understand it rightly, our Muslim friends do not allow anything to pass their lips during Ramadan. (Observant) Catholics and Orthodox reduce their intake, and do not eat meat on Fridays in observance of Our Lordís Passion. Catholics are encouraged to fast by taking two small meals that together are less than one meal, and one normal meal for supper. (Plus prayer, of course.) But what that looks like depends on your state in life. For a religious in a monastery, that could mean only liquids with six hours of prayer. (The Dominicans used to fast on just beer for Lent.). For a professional working 8-10 hours a day with lots of mental work, like me, thatís not realistic, especially not with my flavour of ADD. I go brain dead without food. And I would be fired if I spent the day praying!

But, you know, if you want examples of heroic fasting, look up St. Padre Pio.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chemist82 For This Useful Post:
LeighWolf (03-03-19), Lunacie (03-01-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-19, 11:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,588 Times in 14,079 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

In India there are various types of religious fasting as well. Muslims during Ramadan who eat and drink nothing during sunlight hours. However, Hindus and Jains also fast. Sometimes full fasting (no food) but often it means no rice or no carbs (and almost always no meat)

I used to fast fairly often (water fast) usually for 36h. Not for religious reasons. I found the hunger and tiredness was easy to manage but my cognitive abilities declines drastically on fasting days. I couldn't focus or think clearly. I got fairly cranky as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (03-15-19), Little Missy (03-01-19)