ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-11, 01:37 AM
Contributor

dopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nice
Simultaneously living in the moment and the future?

Im just wondering if others here feel the same way. Basically i live completely in the moment which is annoying because it makes my life really inconsistent. at the same time tho i feel like my mind is always 5 minutes ahead of my body.

example, i go to my friends house and sit down to chill and hangout. Even tho 5 minutes ago i was thinking it was enough just to be with friends now that im here im bored and wondering what were gunna do next. then we decide on something and as soon as we start doing that im like "what are we gunna do next?"

its like im rushing through things just to do something else, i cant just be happy soaking up the moment... unless ofcourse its exciting/risky/drug related.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dopestep For This Useful Post:
renka (06-02-11), Spacemaster (06-02-11)
Old 06-02-11, 05:25 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

mushookees will become famous soon enough
Re: Simultaneously living in the moment and the future?

im the same

rather i think its us seeking more stimulation. Its not really thinking about the future as its only 5 minutes, its really still the present tbh. It sounds like you are getting bored fast because the activities you are doing arent really that stimulating, they may ease the bordem somewhat but they arent fully satisfying your ADHD brain. Your looking forward to doing something more stimulating so thats whats giving the impatient feeling like your rushing through things

er ,maybe im rambling, anyway im the same way, when my friends want to just chill out its like im restless, i dont like watching something im not interested in on tv, i dont like talking about stuff that i dont care about. I end up feeling like a 3rd wheel or something and then i start thinking about what we are gonna do later and when they are gonna get tired of chilling out and weather or not i should make an excuse and go home and do such and such.

er i normally edit and re-read my posts over and over untill they get my message across, atm im pretty tired so ill just leave this as is, hope it helps
Old 06-02-11, 05:57 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,273 Times in 8,603 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

For me I think the biggest problem is being stationary. I often feel that I would rather be on the move instead. Sitting in one spot can make me very restless. When I am moving, no matter where, that makes me feel I am on a mission.
Old 06-02-11, 03:35 PM
Forum Guru

Mesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to all

i do feel like i live in the moment, and tend to care about what is going on "right now", but then again, i also feel constantly ahead of myself.

for example, when i am writing i always skip words, because my mind is going faster than my hand, or i'll start with the 2nd/3rd/whatever letter, and i won't notice until i reread what i've written.

i also get in situations cuz i think they will be fun, but then end up thinking about what we're gonna do next, unless the present situation is extremely chaotic/stimulating/overwhelming, and it's all i can think about because the situation is just that crazy.
Old 06-02-11, 04:07 PM

renka is on a distinguished road

I have the feeling of living in the present and in the future at the same time, but it's more related to decisions. I don't really mind doing "nothing" - sometimes I even regret going out with friends because my bedroom and my TV seems to provide me much more, although I'm aware of how socialization is important to me.

What really bothers me and I have a hard time trying to cope with is being unable to make a decision because it compromises the present or the future. It's completely normal, it's a trade-off, you travel now so you don't buy your fancy TV etc. But it seems whatever decision I take, well, I always regret in the end. Ok, not always, but I think I made a point.

It just sucks.
"Itís just that Iím the kind of person,' Rebecca continued, 'that thinks if you took a map of the whole world and put a pin in it for every person, there wouldnít be a pin for me." ó Elizabeth Strout (Olive Kitteridge)
Old 06-02-11, 04:10 PM

renka is on a distinguished road

Oh, and I didn't mention: I'm ADD-PI, not hyperactive at all. I think this counts when I say "doing 'nothing' doesn't exactly bothers me".

What sarek said in his post, wow... I don't know what it is to feel like that.
"Itís just that Iím the kind of person,' Rebecca continued, 'that thinks if you took a map of the whole world and put a pin in it for every person, there wouldnít be a pin for me." ó Elizabeth Strout (Olive Kitteridge)
Old 06-02-11, 04:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same problem. I am in need of constant stimulation, although I am not hyper. My boyfriend tells me "it's not my job to be your entertainer". I have nothing to say to that because, he's right. I get so bored just hanging with friends doing nothing, to the point where I avoid doing things with them because I get bored. I feel bad for my poor family when it's vacation time, and they just wanna lie on the beach by the ocean. My mom can spend hours just laying there soaking up the sun and relaxing, but I'm like "what next? i'm bored!" She'll tell me to just relax and enjoy yourself, but I CAN'T.