ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 06-13-19, 11:03 PM

ToInfinity will become famous soon enough
Modafinil for adhdpi?

Have anyone with inattentive ADHD tried it or am trying it? (I got a feeling it'll be hard to get numbers as people mostly here are struggling, and people with success go on with their own things)

I'm out of options, live in Australia. Tried Strattera even to optimal dose and each dose made me depressed. Horrible! Ritalin made me suicidal. Dexamphetamibe makes me AWAKE BUT NOT ATTENTIVE/LISTENING. I also had trouble sleeping. Doctor suggested the long acting meds won't work since they are just extend release variants of the ones I've tried. Reboxetine made me depressed too.

So I'm looking at Modafinil.
Old 06-13-19, 11:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modafinil for adhdpi?

Sounds like your dextroamphetamine dose was not optimal. Did you do a proper titration? What was your dosage?

Modafinil is for wakefulness, not ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 06-14-19, 01:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I've tried 100 mg daily modafinil for about 1 month. I felt almost no good or bad effect. It caused only very mild arrhytmia. I didn't feel wakefullness, concentaration or focus. It didn't work at me at all. I could sleep even when i was taking it at evenings.
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: concerta
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-19, 10:27 AM

My doctor literally said he doesn't know what to do with me. He's titrated up to optimal for all medications!
Old 06-15-19, 12:06 AM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light

I had heard good things about Modafinil, but it did nothing for me.

You didn't ask about Strattera (because you obviously had a bad experience).

But I want to tell you that I also suffered with Strattera, until I gave it another try paired with Vyvanse or Adderall. THAT made a noticeable difference in concentration and persistence...not effortless by any means, but suddenly the effort was starting to show better results. And there were no more edgy side effects. (BTW this combo was suggested by an internist; my pdoc had no idea but was willing to prescribe. I also was skeptical, but there was no doubt in my case, the combo is more than the parts.)

Good luck
Old 06-15-19, 11:16 AM

Interesting, such a shame and so silly of me to not try dexamphetamibe with Strattera. It's similar to vyvanse.
Old 06-15-19, 01:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToInfinity View Post
Interesting, such a shame and so silly of me to not try dexamphetamibe with Strattera. It's similar to vyvanse.
Not just similar, but exactly the same, except much stronger per milligram than Vyvanse.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 06-22-19, 12:10 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Actually Modafinil Is Widely Used Off-Label As Nootropic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
...Modafinil is for wakefulness, not ADHD....
Didn't work for me, but be aware Modafinil has well-established cognitive effects on attention & motivation, at least in some people, including ADHD and healthy controls:

ADHD: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16623645 A review of the use of modafinil for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Healthy Controls: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6472902/ Modafinil improves attentional performance in healthy, non-sleep deprived humans at doses not inducing hyperarousal across species

I might try it again now that I am a little higher functioning, and in much better shape physically, than I was.