ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 09-10-18, 10:00 AM

Vandeluca will become famous soon enough
Teen Girl ADHD questions and med questions

I have got question about medication for ADHD/general questions. We have made it to age 14 without meds. Not that this is a medal, but the reason I had not was because I was really trying without moreso, because she has another condition that really needed figuring out/lots of attention and I never wanted to add 'one more variable' in when trying to figure out those meds. That is ok, so I'm considering so I have some questions

1. In general do these meds help kids to improve executive functioning/planning or is it just for focus?

2. We have another condition here that runs hand in hand with ADHD (epilepsy) which is very controlled, but still we are on meds. I was wondering, in teen girls, when the period/puberty arrives, do ADHD girls ever become less focused? (in general). I swear that mine has become a bit less focused since that time. It is not Bart Simpson runing around or anything, just 'unfocused' more than normal to me.

3. I find I have Negative Nellie/Looking at the glass empty/Ms Complainer-can meds help shift this?

4. Over the years, the girls adhd/social component was my biggest concert. Though it's a lot better...I feel like I am always coaching/giving 'scenarios' that my daughter swears never happens in any other household except ours. I was wondering...Do the meds help this social piece. Have any of you just been so happy that you did it?

5. Lastly--are adhd meds the kind of thing that are 'structured' when they get it? For example, if she miss a seizure meds, she may get one. It is almost like they are addictive for lack of better word. What about the adhd meds. I feel like I hear people give them or not always, or not on weekends or summer, etc.

Thanks in advance..I don't even know what med to start with -as I plan to talk to the doctor. The med merry go round was stressful with the other condition. I wonder if I have what it takes this time around
V
Old 09-10-18, 11:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,718 Times in 11,998 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teen Girl ADHD questions and med questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandeluca View Post
I have got question about medication for ADHD/general questions. We have made it to age 14 without meds. Not that this is a medal, but the reason I had not was because I was really trying without moreso, because she has another condition that really needed figuring out/lots of attention and I never wanted to add 'one more variable' in when trying to figure out those meds. That is ok, so I'm considering so I have some questions

1. In general do these meds help kids to improve executive functioning/planning or is it just for focus?

2. We have another condition here that runs hand in hand with ADHD (epilepsy) which is very controlled, but still we are on meds. I was wondering, in teen girls, when the period/puberty arrives, do ADHD girls ever become less focused? (in general). I swear that mine has become a bit less focused since that time. It is not Bart Simpson runing around or anything, just 'unfocused' more than normal to me.

3. I find I have Negative Nellie/Looking at the glass empty/Ms Complainer-can meds help shift this?

4. Over the years, the girls adhd/social component was my biggest concert. Though it's a lot better...I feel like I am always coaching/giving 'scenarios' that my daughter swears never happens in any other household except ours. I was wondering...Do the meds help this social piece. Have any of you just been so happy that you did it?

5. Lastly--are adhd meds the kind of thing that are 'structured' when they get it? For example, if she miss a seizure meds, she may get one. It is almost like they are addictive for lack of better word. What about the adhd meds. I feel like I hear people give them or not always, or not on weekends or summer, etc.

Thanks in advance..I don't even know what med to start with -as I plan to talk to the doctor. The med merry go round was stressful with the other condition. I wonder if I have what it takes this time around
V
Hi, welcome to the forum.

1. I think my main benefit of meds for my granddaughter was focus.
She still struggled to turn in assignments that she had finished the night before.
Finally she switched to online school and that problem was solved.

2. Puberty is a change for boys and girls, whether they have adhd or not.
They start having different feelings which can be distracting.

Foggy brain a few days before the period happens to all girls and women.
It's just a bigger problem for those with adhd.

3. We saw a huge change in the way my granddaughter felt about herself and
the world in general after starting meds.

Before meds, she would argue with everything we said to her, whether it made
sense or not. She would beat herself on the head, saying she was stupid.

After meds, she had the space in her mind to hear what we were saying and to
decide whether she agreed or not.

She was still down on herself, but not as badly. Depression and anxiety are
often comorbid with adhd (as if you don't have enough to consider already)
and my granddaughter who is 20 now still struggles with both of those.

4. I can't really say whether the meds helped my granddaughter with social
skills. Maybe if we'd started them sooner, instead of waiting until puberty?

5. Addictive isn't the right word here, it's dependent. Just as a person who is
nearsighted is dependent on contacts or glasses.

You will find a lot of different opinions on taking the meds every day, or taking
weekend and vacation "med breaks."

I'm in the camp that says adhd doesn't take a day off, so why put our bodies
through the constant adjustment between having the meds on board or not.

Yes, I said bodies. The meds don't just affect our minds, there can be side
effects and just as we begin to get used to them and they aren't as bothering,
if you stop you have to adjust to that change, and again to the change when
you start taking them again.

That said, it can be a good idea to take a break for a couple of weeks once a
year to see if you can do as well without them.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
benito (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 01:48 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road

Quote:

V
1. I think they help with all of the above. This is my personal opinion, but I believe that by helping my executive function, the meds also give me better focus. I can prioritize what is most important and focus on that. Otherwise I try to do 20 things at once, get stressed out and end up completing none of the tasks.
It is not a magic focus pill though, things that are boring are still going to be boring, but it definitely helps. Can you expect to stay entirely focused all the way through a 3 hour lecture? Absolutely not. But I definitely get wayyy more out of it on meds than I would without. But everyone is different.

3. This is definitely how I am when off meds, or was for a lot of my life before being prescribed. I would spend countless time complaining about everything and ranting about how it wasn't fair, impossible etc., instead of just doing it. Looking back I feel as though at times the only way I knew how to socialize was through complaining. The meds definitely greatly changed this, as it gave me the ability to see everything was not so bad and I could just get things done and move on instead of dwelling on them.

4. I think the meds definitely helped me socially. I was not diagnosed unit I was 18 years old. This was the result of traditional old fashion parents and a doctor saying you do not have ADHD, not believing in medication etc. etc. I think I am much more confident on the meds which allows me to socialize better. I am actually present to the moment and can actually contribute to conversations because I am LISTENING and can think about it. I think I was pretty anxious and depressed a lot of the time due to my ADHD, which made me afraid of everything and not fit in.Being able to focus on one thing at a time definitely turned all that around. I can't undo the effect of this first 17 years on my self confidence but better late than never.

5. It depends on the med, the doctor etc. Everyone is different as I said. For me personally, if I am not on meds I turn into a plant and will do close to nothing productive. My mood is definitely not as good and I feel low energy. That being said, if you take the meds too much you can build up a tolerance which I think happened to me and forced me to switch meds a couple times. But tolerance is a very controversial topic and it is different for everyone. If you don't need to do anything important, e.g. it's a weekend or vacation, it can be a good idea to give your body a break. You will find what works best.

Hope this helps. It all works out in the end!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-18, 01:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,942 Times in 14,763 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Vandeluca and welcome. I will share what I know having raised 2 kids to adulthood with the youngest at age 15. (oldest is 22, then 18)
I like to think that the executive function/focusing goes hand in hand with each other. One cant be good without the other IMO. So for her to have good executive function, she needs to focus better and vice versa. Meds when they are the right kind and dose, do help with this.

Quote:
Hormones wreak havoc on adhd and meds too. I know for me, right around the time of my period I can be off the wall whether or not I have taken my meds.

Quote:
This is a tough one. On one hand the amount of complaining, apathy,sighing,grumbling and obstinence is very appropriate and common. On the other hand having adhd with those common things can make them worse. I'd like to say meds do help with this.

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this so I understand?

Quote:

V
People say they are addictive. I would say they are prone to abuse because of the euphoria that can come with taking high doses. When taken as directed they actually reduce the chances of drug and alcohol problems. I do not personally believe in taking breaks from meds because my adhd never takes a break however I have heard of parents giving their kids a break and I did with one of mine and both ways there were no problems.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-11-18, 11:00 AM

Vandeluca will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the responses.
To clarify the about social: Probably like a lot of teen girls with ADHD, I do't have one that is fidgety every second and bounding off the walls. Instead she is probably one of those 'classic' at times distracted, missed some conversation. Instead and perhaps due to missing some conversations, there can be a bit of immaturity, social awkwardness, type of kid..Therefore mostly appearing as a social sign. If that makes sense.

Regarding the mes..Addicting probably was not the best word to use. With the seizure meds, they are very time regulated. You don't want to miss one and should be taken at the same time daily. It takes time to titrate or wean them. Can take lots of time. I was wondering if ADHD meds are the same.

Thanks and hope this clarifies what I was trying to state.
Old 09-11-18, 11:30 AM

DanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of light

ADHD meds are best taken in the morning, and they can wear off after like 8 hours. Your body metabolizes them. It's not like other psychiatric meds where there's a tolerance built up.

If you need focus, etc. in the evening, say you have a dance class at night, you can also take a smaller "booster" dose in the early evening.

I would talk to a doctor that specializes in ADHD if you have more questions.

D.

I cease trying to be perfect, and instead stay faithful to my psychological and spiritual practice. - Dr. David Richo

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

DG
Old 09-11-18, 11:33 AM

DanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of light

It takes time to titrate or wean them. Can take lots of time. I was wondering if ADHD meds are the same.

[/quote]

In my experience you don't have to wean. If one isn't working you switch to another right away, and can adjust the dose pretty easily up or down until you find the "Goldilocks Zone".

Obviously addiction and abuse with amphetamines is a problem. You can, at most, get 30-34 at a time with no refills, and have to show ID at the pharmacy each time.

I cease trying to be perfect, and instead stay faithful to my psychological and spiritual practice. - Dr. David Richo

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

DG
Old 09-11-18, 11:40 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGoldberg View Post
ADHD meds are best taken in the morning, and they can wear off after like 8 hours. Your body metabolizes them. It's not like other psychiatric meds where there's a tolerance built up.

If you need focus, etc. in the evening, say you have a dance class at night, you can also take a smaller "booster" dose in the early evening.

I would talk to a doctor that specializes in ADHD if you have more questions.

D.
XR (extended release) stimulants can last 8 hours (more or less).

IR (instant release) stimulants can last between 2-4 hours.

Yes, you can take an IR booster dose with either kind.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 09-11-18, 11:44 AM

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you for the responses.
To clarify the about social: Probably like a lot of teen girls with ADHD, I do't have one that is fidgety every second and bounding off the walls. Instead she is probably one of those 'classic' at times distracted, missed some conversation. Instead and perhaps due to missing some conversations, there can be a bit of immaturity, social awkwardness, type of kid..Therefore mostly appearing as a social sign. If that makes sense.

Regarding the mes..Addicting probably was not the best word to use. With the seizure meds, they are very time regulated. You don't want to miss one and should be taken at the same time daily. It takes time to titrate or wean them. Can take lots of time. I was wondering if ADHD meds are the same.

Thanks and hope this clarifies what I was trying to state.
What kind of seizure med is she taking? sodium valproate and oxcarbacepine make me groggy and distracted. It may be a bit of a stupid thing what I say, but you would have to value that too.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 30mg and effexor xr 150mg

night: effexor xr 150mg, lamictal 100mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 100mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
Old 09-11-18, 02:37 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

V
I have a 16 year old boy and a 9 year old girl, both ADHD.
1. My son has brain fog. It's like being drunk, he looses the conversation, looses the focus, and can't plan anything. The meds help with this.

2. Age 11 is when I started calling my son a space cadet. That is when puberty kicked in for him and his unknown ADHD seriously kicked up a notch.

3. All teenagers are negative...that's just part of being a teen.

4. The meds keep my son from impulsive saying stupid things. He still says them, but he has adapted by finding younger friends and or ADHD friends. hes still going to sometimes say silly things, that's just growing up. I am 100000% grateful for the meds. He's a more complete person on them than off of them and in a daze.

5. My kids don't take the meds on days they don't have school unless they ask for them. My son had an important baseball game and he wanted to be as present as possible so he asked for them last Saturday.

Any trouble falling asleep? My kids both take Clonidine which is an Rx, and melatonin. It manages to shut their brains off long enough for sleep.
Old 09-11-18, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I have a 16 year old boy and a 9 year old girl, both ADHD.
1. My son has brain fog. It's like being drunk, he looses the conversation, looses the focus, and can't plan anything. The meds help with this.

2. Age 11 is when I started calling my son a space cadet. That is when puberty kicked in for him and his unknown ADHD seriously kicked up a notch.

3. All teenagers are negative...that's just part of being a teen.

4. The meds keep my son from impulsive saying stupid things. He still says them, but he has adapted by finding younger friends and or ADHD friends. hes still going to sometimes say silly things, that's just growing up. I am 100000% grateful for the meds. He's a more complete person on them than off of them and in a daze.

5. My kids don't take the meds on days they don't have school unless they ask for them. My son had an important baseball game and he wanted to be as present as possible so he asked for them last Saturday.

Any trouble falling asleep? My kids both take Clonidine which is an Rx, and melatonin. It manages to shut their brains off long enough for sleep.

3. My granddaughter was 10 when we started seeing self-negativity.
She had just reached puberty (yes, we get there at 9 in my family).
But she was not a teen yet.

5. Her dad had visitation with both girls on weekends. He is the one who would
remind her to pack her meds because no one enjoyed the weekend without them.

Melatonin didn't work for either of my grandkids. The one with adhd began
sleeping better with stimulant meds on board.

Her little sister with autism needed more. She takes Trazadone with dinner
so she can get more than 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

benito (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 07:26 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
3. My granddaughter was 10 when we started seeing self-negativity.
She had just reached puberty (yes, we get there at 9 in my family).
But she was not a teen yet.

5. Her dad had visitation with both girls on weekends. He is the one who would
remind her to pack her meds because no one enjoyed the weekend without them.

Melatonin didn't work for either of my grandkids. The one with adhd began
sleeping better with stimulant meds on board.

Her little sister with autism needed more. She takes Trazadone with dinner
so she can get more than 3-4 hours of sleep a night.
According to my ex husband ADHD is a fake thing, so when he deigns to get them, he gets them unmedicated. The 16 year old is tired of being yelled at for "doing stupid things", I've offered the meds but he's trying to gain weight for sports purposes and doesn't want the meds on the weekends. Not much more I can do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
benito (09-12-18), Lunacie (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
According to my ex husband ADHD is a fake thing, so when he deigns to get them, he gets them unmedicated. The 16 year old is tired of being yelled at for "doing stupid things", I've offered the meds but he's trying to gain weight for sports purposes and doesn't want the meds on the weekends. Not much more I can do.
My son-in-law also said adhd was just an "excuse."
But he's the one who reminded my Gdaughter to pack her meds.
I know, it doesn't make sense. I suspect he also had adhd.

Caco3girl (09-13-18)