ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 12-17-08, 01:11 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

As we head into the second year of a recession that quite possible prove to be the worse since the Depression I urge the posters and readers of this thread and to my fellow ADDers to be ready to take whatever steps that are necessary for personal survival. Yes by all means continue searching for work. But also start using the resources that are out there to ensure that you can at the least stay fed and sleep indoors.

If you are out of work then apply for food stamps. Period. You should not be spending your limited money on food. Not only will this help you pay for those items that are not available at your local food bank -- you are using it, right? -- but it will enable you to be eligible for other services. Such as assistance to pay your telephone bill. (Landline only, sorry.) How can you look for work without at least a telephone and e-mail? I myself just signed up on this program. (Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.)

The sad reality is that you need to sign-up for assistance before you absolutely need it. So if you are coming to end of your unemployment -- if you were in fact eligible in the first place -- by all means keep sending your resume out and start your application for disability benefits. You have nothing to lose. Yes the odds of being approved for benefits solely on the basis of being diagnosed with ADD are low. However the odds of being approved for benefits based on the presence of clinical depression are much higher. Do I need to say that some situational depression is to be expected when you are out of work?

If any "cash only" work comes your way by all means take advantage of it. Just don't plan around it -- especially in these times.

If you are AD(H)D you already have a strike against you. Don't compound it by blindly sticking to a course of action dictated by moralistic rigidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjar View Post
NickL30
My career is anything but perfect. I struggled to find a job between June 2001 to Nov 2003. I scraped by with freelance work. Scraped. I spent more time looking for work than actually freelancing. But I kept looking and posting my resume on websites. I was discouraged and depressed and wanted to give up. But I finally found something in Nov 2003 and worked there ever since. Though my future is now uncertain.

Having a gap is not fatal, just a challenge. i am saying is keep searching and you'll find something. It is not easy. It wasn't easy to get my current job! There is no bubble in my area! I didn't want the OP to simply wait for the pie-in-the-sky disability that might not come. I wanted to motivate the OP to just keep trying and not lose heart in job searching.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (01-25-09), soulangel200 (04-11-10)
Old 01-24-09, 11:49 PM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Moving you may want to humm actually try for a secondary diagnosis not too many people get disability on ADD alone - the process of applying for disability here in the states is long a tedious process - it is harder with a mental disability than it is a physical one.
I may but I am still in the process of filling out my application and speaking with a psychologist that is a bit attuned to how the system works. I am not claiming ADD but another aide effect of ADD - social anxiety as my illness.
I am working on the application to make sure it has everything I need to have in it correctly the best way I can before I submit it.

The more I read these threads about people with degrees and stuff that can't get a job - it makes me sick to imagine myself and others in the unemployment line (which I will be in monday morning - cause I can't get a-hole of anyone on the phone for 2 weeks of calling every day) - with plenty of intellectual ability and are very employable.
Old 01-25-09, 04:40 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823
the process of applying for disability here in the states is long a tedious process
Considering you began this thread 2/5/2008 which will be a exactly one year in 11 days and you are still in the applying process and are not yet not receiving any disability I would say my case has been made

In any case I hope things get better for you movingshadow. . .

Quote:
I am not claiming ADD but another aide effect of ADD - social anxiety as my illness.
Probably a wise move - as I have not met any one to date who has received disability having ADD as a sole diagnosis -

Glad you came back and let us know how things are going . . . .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 04:50 AM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Considering you began this thread 2/5/2008 which will be a exactly one year in 11 days and you are still in the applying process and are not yet not receiving any disability I would say my case has been made

Probably a wise move - as I have not met any one to date who has received disability having ADD as a sole diagnosis -

I have waited a while as well..the reason is I've waited so long is because I got a job in between the time and then lost it again! Also - its hard - you can be doing ok for a while then you loose a job and the stability is gone in the wink of an eye and your back trying to get assistance. I was happy to have the job for the sole reason that I would not have to try to get government help! I could care less at that time about the duties or otherwise.

I have had enough of this! I can't take it anymore I will NOT get a job again like before and wait to get fired! I would rather die it seem than deal with a constant lack of job stability. I have some good skills damnit! Ok so i can't spell - but you get the idea!

Last edited by meadd823; 01-25-09 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: GD word not family freindly - sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to movingshadow For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (02-18-09)
Old 01-25-09, 05:11 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish you luck - I know people on disability and it takes a long time especially considering most who apply for it have no job, steady source of income or who are unable to stay employed long enough to make any real money to pay for housing untilites ect. . . .

Gary and I personally have a friend with a physical disability who was declared 100% disabled by a doctor He has already waited seven months and he is still counting -

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 01-25-09, 07:48 AM
Contributor

Quote:
I just wish you luck - I know people on disability and it takes a long time especially considering most who apply for it have no job, steady source of income or who are unable to stay employed long enough to make any real money to pay for housing untilites ect. . . .

Gary and I personally have a friend with a physical disability who was declared 100% disabled by a doctor He has already waited seven months and he is still counting -
I expect to wait a year to get rejected then up to another year to get approved. God knows what I'll do to maintain food and shelter in that period of time. That's what concerns me obviously. So I guess I am keeping faith by "applying"? What a load of crap right? Well what else can I do? I only want to be on disability for a year as it is! But the thing is- if you use a lawyer you can get back pay although most will have to go to the lawyer - if you don't use one - you can still get back pay for the that period of time you have waited.

Anyway
Old 01-25-09, 08:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jillette is a jewel in the roughJillette is a jewel in the roughJillette is a jewel in the rough

I used to work with people with disabilities and it is hard you need a lot of documentation the more you have the better. If you have school records of difficulties or can get them go for it as I said before the more you have the better. I used to help my clients and if you get rejected (which will happen always on the first time) re-apply and if rejected again get yourself an attorney that gets paid only if you win and they will have to pay you back money from the date you first applied to present. Yes that is how it works so say you finally win 2 years later they will owe you from the date you first applied. Good Luck. Jill
meadd823 (01-25-09)
Old 01-26-09, 01:24 AM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

It may be the only avenue for many people. You know if you don't have the perfect work history that everyone (even with rising unemployment) and his brother seems to have -- continuous employment with a name company, no period of unemployment, perfect & glowing references.

People will do what they need to survive. I for one have to lie about my employment history. I have never seen such a condescending attitude or patronizing behavior toward people who aren't working or don't have that linear corporate career path with the big 'name company'.
Old 01-26-09, 09:59 PM

SnowDogGirl is on a distinguished road

Hi - I didn't see any of your previous posts, but I'd like to hear more about your situation. I'm female, 54, and was diagnosed by a neuropsychologist 4 years ago. I was terminated from my job in 2006. It was a relief but like you I may have wanted in back, if I knew then what was to follow. I'd like to share my story with you and hear yours. I don't know if I can be of any support, but I just last week had my disability hearing, so I have some knowledge of the process and procedures. If you feel I could be of benefit to you, please contact me offline
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnowDogGirl For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (01-29-09), Imnapl (01-26-09), ragarm13 (09-27-09)
Old 02-17-09, 08:38 PM

spaghettibrains will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
It may be the only avenue for many people. You know if you don't have the perfect work history that everyone (even with rising unemployment) and his brother seems to have -- continuous employment with a name company, no period of unemployment, perfect & glowing references.

People will do what they need to survive. I for one have to lie about my employment history. I have never seen such a condescending attitude or patronizing behavior toward people who aren't working or don't have that linear corporate career path with the big 'name company'.
It's entirely possible to be a good worker with a bad work history. In addition to having symptoms of ADHD it is entirely possible to have cr*p luck. When your work history is shot it becomes an anchor around your neck. Even menial jobs ask for referances and a stable work history.

If someone makes a diligent effort to find work and can't and truly have a disabling condition why shouldn't they apply? Me personally I have extremely bad luck on top of everything else. I have a perfect driving record. No criminal record. Excellent shape, healthy and a stong work ethic. But my work history is horrific I couldn't get a stable driving job with a reputable company. I take things out of desperation including the OTR job I just got fired from. I knew it wasn't for me. Being in a truck 24/7 and having to keep logs. .

I would be content stocking shelves in a supermarket at this point. If collecting SSI is the only way it beats abject poverty.But I can't file for crap luck
The Following User Says Thank You to spaghettibrains For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (02-18-09)
Old 02-17-09, 09:12 PM
Committee of One

Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but the way the Social Security Disability "mill" works these days you will have to endure up to two years years of "abject poverty" before you become eligible for it. The economy will have to become much worse before it becomes a fall-back option for you and me. Of course if the economy deteriorates further we may be looking at a resurrection of the WPA. That would take care of that pesky work history issue ...

A job stocking shelves at a supermarket? Well if it has a UFCW contract count me in! I have applied without success at my local grocery stores...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettibrains View Post
I would be content stocking shelves in a supermarket at this point. If collecting SSI is the only way it beats abject poverty.But I can't file for crap luck
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 02-18-09, 06:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,638 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

One thing that helped me get my disability was seeking therapy and what ever medical assistance I could get. When I first applied I was so overwhelmed I called disability and they helped me quite a bit with the application so I didnt have to do the whole thing by myself.

As to your work history, I think your disability is based on the past 5 years in terms of amount per month. So, since you have worked quite a bit (if I understand the original few post) you should apply sooner.

They will pay you up to two years back or when the disability began, your recent employment will probably help as it will be a failed work attempt. I had three jobs just before I applied and they were deemed failed work attempts.

A lawyer is a great place to start. They are experienced with disability and will know if they think they can win. They are also free since they get paid so much by the ssd administration for cases they win.

I hope this is not just a repeat of every thing you heard already, and good luck, keep us posted.

Song
firstdesserts (02-18-09), Retromancer (02-18-09), soulangel200 (04-11-10)
Old 02-18-09, 02:24 PM
Committee of One

Thanks for the useful post Song. Although applying for disability is -- not yet -- a serious option for me I do have a friend who is applying for disability. She has an episodic work history with long periods between jobs. I will remind her to describe her work history as a series of "failed work attempts".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of Mercy View Post
...your recent employment will probably help as it will be a failed work attempt. I had three jobs just before I applied and they were deemed failed work attempts.
Song
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
firstdesserts (02-18-09)
Old 02-20-09, 10:26 AM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettibrains View Post
It's entirely possible to be a good worker with a bad work history. In addition to having symptoms of ADHD it is entirely possible to have cr*p luck. When your work history is shot it becomes an anchor around your neck. Even menial jobs ask for referances and a stable work history.

If someone makes a diligent effort to find work and can't and truly have a disabling condition why shouldn't they apply? Me personally I have extremely bad luck on top of everything else. I have a perfect driving record. No criminal record. Excellent shape, healthy and a stong work ethic. But my work history is horrific I couldn't get a stable driving job with a reputable company. I take things out of desperation including the OTR job I just got fired from. I knew it wasn't for me. Being in a truck 24/7 and having to keep logs. .

You are right - and these days there is the gossip & rumor mill specifically social networking sites like Linked In or Facebook which give 'recruiters' & "HR Professionals" license to either recommend somene or trash their reputation. I find this out the hard way when recruiters call me enthusisastic about my resume and then I never hear from them again or they accuse me of lying to them based on different versions of my resume one may be floating in their database from years ago.
Old 02-27-09, 09:01 AM
Jr Member

tomtom is on a distinguished road

I'm about to. be fired after 28 years over something very stupid that I had no clue it was wrong, this is what I get for trusting someone. I'm crushed, not sleeping, cannot perform at work, withdrawing from everyone. I'm at a loss to young to retire, to old to start over, and I will loose my lump sum retirement.....what to do????