ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-12, 02:03 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of
Re: How did you react to being told you had ADHD?

Relief. I had assumed something was going on and the dx explained alot.

Now however it's depressing at times because even on meds and with therapy it's challenging to function normally in this world. The realization that this disorder is a lifelong ordeal becomes more evident as time passes.

Plus I always get caught in this mindset where I think I can outsmart my ADHD only to find that my ADHD has outsmarted me once again!

Overall relief though. It would be easier if more people understood the disorder.
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
Old 06-26-12, 02:15 AM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

Butterflies!

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-26-12, 02:25 AM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,578 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really remember not having the idea in my head that I had ADHD - my family would constantly make jokes about my short attention span long before I was diagnosed.
When I got my official diagnosis a year ago, I laughed out loud because it just seemed like such an obvious thing. DUH, I have ADHD. How come it wasn't considered true until some psychologist said it was?
It made me hopeful that things would start to get better for me - now that we were making it official, maybe my parents and my teachers would finally understand what was going on in my head. I used to feel like my parents didn't want to bother getting me diagnosed because if they admitted I had issues then they would have to figure out how to deal with them.
I'm not sure how much anything has actually changed for me since getting diagnosed, though. I think the main thing that's changed is my own perception of myself. Right after I was diagnosed I was always hyperaware of my thoughts and my actions, attributing every little thing I did to ADHD, maybe in an attempt to understand how it was affecting me. Now that's worn off and my ADHD is more towards the back of my mind, it's just one more fact about me, one more way to describe myself. I am short. I have brown eyes. I have ADHD. There's not a whole lot of difference between those things for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to pooka For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (07-03-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-12, 02:28 AM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i kinda agree with pooka who has an evil twin on these forums somewhere. my brother always wondered if i had Tourette's (of the swearword/obscenities variety) and joked 'hey have you ever heard of Ritalin?'

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-26-12, 02:32 AM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,578 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

Who's my evil twin...?
Old 06-26-12, 02:40 AM
Artisan of Shenanigans

pookdo

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-03-12, 05:36 AM

Your_Daddy is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed a few months ago and at first it was such a relief. For the first time in my life my adhd symptoms weren't my 'fault'... but then I realised that I will have it for the rest of my days. Like forever. I will never 'cure' it or 'own it'. ADHD will be defining till I die. I can tell people 'sorry, I have a disorder' but most of them won't understand what it's actually like. And my university doesn't recognise ADHD as a disability so it doesn't provide any help.