ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-20-18, 07:01 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Written up a work

So I'm utterly distraught. I'm mostly whatevs but I got written up at work. I had two bad instances in a couple month period. Already was told, short discussion. A few months ago. I won't go into real details because I don't know the laws. So I get called in to sign a paper saying I messed 2 things up. 1) Being too slow (by 3 hours actually. I hit the milestone 3 hours late) and 2) kept missing stupid little details (YAY ADD) in a 400k document that they wanted done in a day. They say I told them that they could have it in a day. No. I said I'd see what I could do once I saw what was broken. I'm learning to avoid time frames like the plague. "How long will..." "Full specs, please."

So fine I have to meet with my boss once a week. Ok fine now I have to keep my time basically by the minute. (i hear other people are being told to do this too for what it' worth. Not sure what they did to **** them off) So for safety's sake so I don't scream at anyone tomorrow so I'm working from home tomorrow to cool down. THEN I was told "ok you can do that but you have to call in through the day" I have worked from home HOW many times over 3 and a half years and HOW many times have I ever been unreachable? None. I was trouble shooting a problem for a coworker in my doctors waiting room one day ffs. Its getting absolutely absurd. I'm not perfect and I will make mistakes but this seems like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

"What went wrong here?" "This list of things." "Ok lets fix those things." Problem solved.

It's far easier to deal with people when you don't make their job the Spanish Inquisition.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
allesandro1 (06-21-18), anonymouslyadd (06-20-18), Lunacie (06-20-18), midnightstar (06-21-18), peripatetic (06-21-18), stef (06-21-18), tudorose (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 07:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,635 Times in 15,115 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Written up a work

Let me tell you... people that work walk into mine zones everyday. No matter what there is always drama somewhere and there is always a boss zeroing in on one person to get all up in their grill about how they work.. writing an employee up is ridiculous in my opinion. What are we in high school now getting detention? Writing 'I am sorry' 500 times on the chalkboard? To me a meeting is a better option. Being written up seems so punitive and how many people are motivated by to do well being punished?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-21-18), Lunacie (06-21-18), LyrinMeow (06-21-18), midnightstar (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 08:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,528 Times in 11,548 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Written up my ***. Get the demerit board out.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-18, 08:21 AM

Thanked 5,106 Times in 2,226 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the expectations are unrealistic because you already have a positive can do attitude. Everyone makes mistakes they need to deal with it more constructively.
Lunacie (06-21-18), LyrinMeow (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 08:21 AM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Now I'm required to use a time tracker. Those 3 minutes I spent checking email? Damn straight they on there. 2 minutes to get the call in information for my meeting? Yup that too. If I take a crap that's going in too. I'm writing an email about my day too to send of EOD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-21-18), tudorose (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 09:43 AM

Thanked 5,106 Times in 2,226 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
Now I'm required to use a time tracker. Those 3 minutes I spent checking email? Damn straight they on there. 2 minutes to get the call in information for my meeting? Yup that too. If I take a crap that's going in too. I'm writing an email about my day too to send of EOD.
And then you have to add an entry of how many minutes you took to complete the tracker....

Micro management at it's worst
Lunacie (06-21-18), LyrinMeow (06-22-18)
Old 06-22-18, 01:21 AM

Thanked 4,017 Times in 2,069 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Do you feel like they are singling you out or are they micromanaging everyone?

If they are especially micromanaging you, I'd look for another job. You can't win when they rip you apart for every tiny mistake. You're human, you will make mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
LyrinMeow (06-22-18)
Old 06-22-18, 02:55 AM
Contributor

One of the things it said in the sheet was my original estimate on the project was way off. Of course it was I had no specs. I gave no time limit once I had the specs. The guy I was working with gave the same original estimate I did. I doubt he's getting written up. In fact, on more than one occasion I was told I was ahead of schedule.

Another thing that bothers me is not a single person asked me what happened on either of the occasions they are talking about. They were also months ago anyway. And they are still working on the project that I got kicked off of for not meeting an arbitrary deadline I was told like 3 hours before it had to be done. Every 20 minutes my boss was out there to check on what I was doing. Which meant anxiety for me. I'm like "I can only code so fast..."

The only thing I heard is that the program I use to track time may be used by at least one other person. It isn't yet, regardless. To my knowledge no one else is having this done to them.

The best part is this does not how to motivate me at all. I was happily working on all my other **** until this came along. Now I feel like nothing I do is going to be good enough and any mistake I make is going to be amplified tenfold. I had already worked myself through the project issue and had gotten over it and moved on. (Like I said it was MONTHS ago). So lets just revisit that. Again. Because that's helping me. Totally.
Old 06-22-18, 08:41 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

I don't have ADHD, my kids do. However, in corporate america this is called phasing someone out. Find another job.
Old 06-22-18, 09:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,635 Times in 15,115 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me they dont know about your disability... I cant remember if you said anything.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
LyrinMeow (06-25-18)
Old 06-22-18, 04:49 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Remind us what you do again?
Old 06-22-18, 05:52 PM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

get out, just get out.
look for another job, and leave proudly and on good terms, and with fond memories of the colleagues you truly appreciated.
it's a toxic work environment with pointless, distressing and unhealthy management tactics,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (06-22-18), Little Missy (06-22-18), LyrinMeow (06-25-18)
Old 06-22-18, 08:22 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I have to agree with everyone. It doesn't sound like a friendly environment at all, I would suggest leaving now while you still have some credibility left to carry on to the next job. Don't let them ruin you and then throw you away.
Little Missy (06-22-18), LyrinMeow (06-25-18), stef (06-23-18)
Old 06-25-18, 07:13 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
Remind us what you do again?
Sorry was busy, busy these last few days. I'm a software engineer.

One of my issues is that my female coworkers say that it can get worse for a female dev. Much worse, and they've kinda scared me.

My HR department knows about my disabilities, my new boss does not. A few select coworkers.

New boss has been super friendly about it. He's a new boss so I almost think he just wanted to do something boss like. He talked to me for 5 minutes, told me to track my time. I leave. Track my time. Do the same work I always do. 2 days later we have another meeting and he's like "I'm glad to see you've implemented what we talked about." The f- is he on about. The ONLY thing that changed was me pushing a timer button. And I'm the crazy one!

And I'm going to receive "training", which I asked be tailored to my skill level. He's like well you have to prove yourself. *****, I've been here for 3 and a half years. A short series of unfortunate events doesn't make that all go away. I literally told him I screwed up, I do not, in fact, have brain damage. I can do the same **** I did before.

One of the things I got written up for was also done, verbatim, by another coworker. I don't see him getting written up. it's just so frustrating. But it's either this or I start at the bottom at a new job. I've spent a lot of time and energy on this system. I sound like I'm talking about a bad relationship.

I've been adding things to my resume here and there. Get that out there and see if any of the fish bite.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
stef (06-26-18)
Old 08-13-18, 07:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough

Have things gotten better since your last post?

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,