ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-13-18, 12:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,537 Times in 845 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
In trouble, hopefully not fired

I made mistakes at work. I won't get into all of the details but they range from serious to I-guess-my-boss-doesn't-know-that-most/all-of-us-do-this.

I don't think I'm going to get fired but they have grounds. I will be very, very surprised if I don't get a verbal warning or even a written warning. He mentioned something about re-training. I felt like crying but I held it together.

Getting fired is never good but if someone gets fired from this hospital system, I've heard that you are blackballed. This is the #1 employer in my region! I would quit if I could but finances and the proven "employers like to hire people who are currently employed" is keeping me from putting in two weeks right now.

I decided a few weeks ago that I need to get on the ball and start job hunting. I haven't liked this job basically since I started and decided a few weeks ago to start looking and have been here and there. I have to kick into high gear now.

I'm really sick of going through these things in my jobs. I don't want to be winning awards at any job but I don't want the meetings, feeling so embarrassed around managers, fearing getting fired, quitting under duress, etc.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-13-18), stef (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 10:17 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,351 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: In trouble, hopefully not fired

Hi FF, Sorry to hear. Pls keep in mind that my knothole in the fence is very small here so pls disregard as appropriate.

If it does come up, I would never explain failure to comply to procedure with that procedure is rarely if ever followed. I would communicate honestly. If it is a safety type issue I would include specifics on the how the procedure that you followed was well thought out AND addressed the safety concerns. Then add-in that currently this procedure has problems, is rarely if ever followed by others and offer suggestions on how to improve the procedure and improve compliance while still maintaining a high degree of the procedures purpose.

Job hunting is definitely better while employed. An alternative may be to become a better fit for your current job or to make your current job a better fit for you. I am not saying you can easily make big, systemic, costly changes. I am saying that sometimes the small changes that you "are" able to make may improve your job satisfaction to a large degree. If it is periodic performance issues on your part, schedule review meetings on performance with your supervisor or supervisor's supervisor. Have agreed upon improvement areas. Make the meetings easy, quick, and focused for them and do self-evaluations (performance reviews) prior to meetings, hand-out beforehand, and review in meeting. Another approach is if many of the procedures are inadequate, missing, inappropriate, or needlessly difficult be a driver for updating/correcting them. (Not you solely, more like be active in developing a process to correct w/ timetable and participate where appropriate/needed and work to keep it on-track.)

In any event, I hope it works out for you. -LN