ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-07-18, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,265 Times in 5,503 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Is 37 too old to start your own business

Iím keeping my building trade job for now But Iíve put together a business plan and purchased some property to get rollin. I had most the equipment and got whatever else I needed in the last couple months

But I just feel like itís to late in life for this

Is that a fact? Is 37 too old to start a business
anonymouslyadd (06-10-18), peripatetic (06-07-18), stef (06-07-18)
Old 06-07-18, 03:39 PM

Thanked 3,976 Times in 2,046 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Is 37 too old to start your own business

Absolutely not. You'll probably work till your 70s. So you still have to work nearly double your current life. So plenty of time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-10-18), daveddd (06-07-18), peripatetic (06-07-18), stef (06-07-18)
Old 06-07-18, 03:41 PM

Thanked 34,062 Times in 15,423 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think you're too old to start your own business, dave. i think you'd be great at it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-07-18), stef (06-07-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-18, 03:42 PM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

No it isn't. Thinking you're too old is the wrong attitude for business though. You can never allow that way of thinking to creep in. You've got to focus on reasons for success, not failure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-18, 03:43 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Absolutely not. You'll probably work till your 70s. So you still have to work nearly double your current life. So plenty of time.
Thanks. But 70s? Yuck. I sure hope not

Is that what they want now?
acdc01 (06-07-18), stef (06-07-18)
Old 06-07-18, 04:21 PM

Thanked 27,059 Times in 13,140 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post

But I just feel like itís to late in life for thhis

Is that a fact? Is 37 too old to start a business
It had better not be, I will be 51 when I'm officially a freelance translator.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-07-18)
Old 06-07-18, 05:49 PM
Jr Member

Welds363 is on a distinguished road

I absolutely think it's not too old, matter of fact with a little age under your belt I think it's the best time to start making bigger decisions. I don't know how well established you are in your current career but if you could get you business well established and continue your current path to a good pension/ early retirement it could make for fantastic supplemental income!
The Following User Says Thank You to Welds363 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-07-18)
Old 06-07-18, 07:54 PM

Thanked 3,976 Times in 2,046 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thanks. But 70s? Yuck. I sure hope not

Is that what they want now?
67 is the age you'll get full soc sec benefits as of right now. I figured it'd rise in the future so guessed 70s.

But you can always retire early and take partial soc sec.

When do you want to retire 60?

That's still 23 years away. Lots of time to try at business. Really I've read stories of people starting businesses when they are seniors already and striking it rich. Never too late
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-18, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
67 is the age you'll get full soc sec benefits as of right now. I figured it'd rise in the future so guessed 70s.

But you can always retire early and take partial soc sec.

When do you want to retire 60?

That's still 23 years away. Lots of time to try at business. Really I've read stories of people starting businesses when they are seniors already and striking it rich. Never too late
I want early 50s
Old 06-08-18, 04:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,426 Times in 15,023 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

37 is the new 21.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-08-18), stef (06-09-18)
Old 06-08-18, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

No, I was 42 when I started my business. when you're 37, 37 seems old. when you're my age you realize how young it is
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-09-18), stef (06-09-18)
Old 06-09-18, 12:09 AM

Thanked 5,032 Times in 2,187 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Shame you're not in my country or I could point you in the direction of some good resources.

Just make sure you keep on top of the paperwork. That's how most small businesses come undone in my neck of the woods.
daveddd (06-09-18), stef (06-09-18)
Old 06-09-18, 07:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

If your service is something generic, like fitting furniture or building garages, then you are perfect age.

I assume you need to earn the trust of the client in order to sell your service, so the older, the better (looks more experienced).

If it was an AI startup, I'd say it's better to be right out of school, as it's easier to not know what hurldes are looming and fake it with arrogance and youth
Old 06-09-18, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
If your service is something generic, like fitting furniture or building garages, then you are perfect age.

I assume you need to earn the trust of the client in order to sell your service, so the older, the better (looks more experienced).

If it was an AI startup, I'd say it's better to be right out of school, as it's easier to not know what hurldes are looming and fake it with arrogance and youth
Property development. Somewhat generic
stef (06-09-18)
Old 06-09-18, 10:29 AM

Thanked 21,476 Times in 11,514 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Property development. Somewhat generic
No! Too much generic, but it does sell.

I want vision and customizing. Built-ins. Finished carpentry. You must go all out or else you will be doing the same thing.

The roof must hang over a few feet.

Good God, the wheel of colours for siding goes on and on but beige seems to be the only deliverable one. Who made that up? Forget siding and facades. Bring on the brick and stone and stucco.

Do it up. You must stand out.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-10-18), stef (06-10-18)