ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-13-09, 02:38 PM
Contributor

Annwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the rough
Re: The 10 Worst Mistakes Career Changers Make - ADHD

I work as an executive recruiter in the technology field.

While I would never say never, I will say that this is a particularly difficult time to try to change careers. The US economy has lost millions of jobs in the last year and whatever career you think you want to get into, know that there are hundreds, possibly thousands of people with experience who are out of work and desperate to get back - even at a dramatically reduced salary.

If you have expertise in an area, even an area you really do not enjoy, you might consider sticking it out for another year or so until things pick up.

If you do want to make the change, most recruiters will not be able to help you. If you are looking to get into something that a general staffing firm handles and it does not require a lot of experience, education or training, you may be able to just walk into a job like that. These are jobs like telemarketer, light industrial worker, receptionist, warehouse worker, etc.

However, if you are a computer programmer and you want to get into supply chain management or otherwise move from one professional level career to another, a recruiter will be of no help. Recruiters work for fees from their clients and no client is going to pay a 5 figure fee to bring on someone with no track record and no experience.

Use your network, use your friends and family. Highlight the fact that there is little to no risk in giving you a chance. Offer to intern the position for a few weeks or work for a substantially lower salary as a trainee.

Get creative, it can be done.

I went from the high tech world to the recruiting world, but I did it on my own. It was difficult, but ultimately worth it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annwn For This Useful Post:
FastForward (01-26-10), Jade Sea (04-12-11)
Old 05-18-09, 07:23 PM
Jr Member

Scolari Visari is on a distinguished road

Interesting Thread.

To pass on what one of my previous managers told me, when making a job or career change always make sure you are moving towards something, not running away from something.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scolari Visari For This Useful Post:
flipnfly8 (12-21-09), Jade Sea (04-12-11), Squirrely Seth (06-21-11), ~~DayDreamer~~ (12-22-09)
Old 01-15-10, 04:14 AM
Banned

olivia751 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Great information i got here . Good points you discussed here about the mistake of changing career. Thanks for this useful post.

Regards,
Olivia

Last edited by APSJ; 01-26-10 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Removed link. Please see guidelines.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-10, 07:31 AM

FastForward will become famous soon enough

i'm trying to change careers and start up a "coaching" practice !
however, as i know times are rough out there, i will start working 4 days a week as a regular employee and then 1 day a week to build up my project...
Once i see things go well, i'll ad another day to my "self-employment" project and work 3 days as employee... etc... :-)
Old 02-07-10, 07:19 AM

gab1982 is on a distinguished road

I am looking into changing careers too, I did programming and it gets annoying if not tedious, i like careers which have a change throughout the day but can't drive down to my epilepsy so im a bit stuck unless anyone has any ideas.

I have 6yrs of IT education, 3 of which are from college and 3 from university, i followed my heart when i went into my jobs, and have turned out to be fired, redundant, contract ended, and i left the last one down to personal issues.
Old 02-14-10, 11:00 AM

Maurkillor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this post while I am in the mist of seeking employment it has only been two and a half months of seeking and just reading that others find it may take a bit longer is encouraging.
Old 03-30-10, 01:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Brakna will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing this information! I'm transitioning from the field of Adult & Extension Education into Distance Education/eLearning. I recently completed a post-baccalaureate certificate in Distance Ed but I'm finding the job market to be slim to none in this area I would like to stay here in the Chicago area so it might limit my chances a bit. I'm kind of stuck in a rut at the moment and can't decide what to do out this exact moment. It's frustrating!!!
Old 07-13-10, 11:29 AM

Ms.Ambivalent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolari Visari View Post
Interesting Thread.

Always make sure you are moving towards something, not running away from something.
I agree! But at this point I have no idea what to move toward. I've not been diagnosed but am typical female ADD. Bachelor's degree and had various office jobs over the last 30 years. At times quite successful--when the environment/duties/supervisor worked in my favor. But resigned from my last job when it became clear I would be dismissed . . . preferred quitting to 'terminated for unacceptable performance'.
I have no idea what to do next. Feel very discouraged and unable to get excited about any line of work.
All my jobs were beneath my level of education. Factors that enabled me to meet my employer's expectations in certain jobs were really random combinations of 'small' things. Things specific to that company or that department, nothing I can focus on in seeking a new career.
So, I am actually looking for suggestions. I know we are not all the same, but if you are ADD and happy in a job, please tell me what it is so I can at least consider it. Starting my own business would be an option, but in this economy in the midwest US, I can't think of a startup that would have much of a chance. Also, I would like input about ADD treatment after middle age. I am reluctant to get a formal diagnosis at this point, not wanting to be 'officially abnormal'. But if treatment would enable me to keep gainful employment another 15 years, obviously it's the thing to do.

Thank you.
Old 10-03-10, 10:58 AM

vegetablevn is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Ambivalent View Post
I agree! But at this point I have no idea what to move toward. I've not been diagnosed but am typical female ADD. Bachelor's degree and had various office jobs over the last 30 years. At times quite successful--when the environment/duties/supervisor worked in my favor. But resigned from my last job when it became clear I would be dismissed . . . preferred quitting to 'terminated for unacceptable performance'.
I have no idea what to do next. Feel very discouraged and unable to get excited about any line of work.
All my jobs were beneath my level of education. Factors that enabled me to meet my employer's expectations in certain jobs were really random combinations of 'small' things. Things specific to that company or that department, nothing I can focus on in seeking a new career.
So, I am actually looking for suggestions. I know we are not all the same, but if you are ADD and happy in a job, please tell me what it is so I can at least consider it. Starting my own business would be an option, but in this economy in the midwest US, I can't think of a startup that would have much of a chance. Also, I would like input about ADD treatment after middle age. I am reluctant to get a formal diagnosis at this point, not wanting to be 'officially abnormal'. But if treatment would enable me to keep gainful employment another 15 years, obviously it's the thing to do.

Thank you.
Old 12-07-10, 07:30 PM

Antiks72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentat50 View Post
Hey atomx,
I do not know how long you were into programming, but I guess not as long as I was - 32 years. Only my very first programming job lasted more than 3 years. All others lasted less than 2. I found out close to 10 years ago that I am ADD and Bipolar 2, but it did not keep me from trying again and again. That is, until I worked for my last employer that is a subsidiary of a Japanese company. Apparently Japanese companies set up their offices in very large rooms without any dividers like cubicles, just desk after desk after desk. That is about the worst you can do to an ADDer - nothing BUT distractions!! Anyway, I lasted a year and a week.
After filing for unemployment benefits I started taking aptitude/interest tests. One through Employment Security, one through Vocational Rehabilitation, one on the internet that I paid for, and one as part of a training program through the Software Association of New Hampshire. Guess what - all of them came up with the same result: I am in the wrong profession. They all recommended to go into an arts field like painting or music or writing. I scored the highest in music where my score compared favorably with professional musicians. I suggest you do the same. Get tested. It may change your life. If you score high for the arts I have some additional suggestions.

I hear ya. I think IT in general is very ADHD unfriendly. I've been doing service desk for the last year, and it's been the same way. I too am liberal arts oriented like yourself. These jobs are non existent though in comparison to others.
Old 02-15-11, 03:21 PM
Jr Member

AFgirl is on a distinguished road

I was so relieved to read this. I am in the middle of a career change that was didn't initiate by choice. I was fired from my teaching job...a career field I had already tried to leave once by enlisting in the army. I loved being in the army but was hurt during training. I came home and fell back into education out of necessity. After 2 years, I still missed being in the military...I thought about it every day. I didn't want to give up a teaching job and move again so to fill the void I joined the Air Force Reserves. Although I can't prove it, I believe I was fired for doing so. Now, I want to go active duty but don't want to leave NJ. I'm trying to be patient and wait until I finish tech school to make any decisions so I was very relieved to see that career changes take six months or longer. Its hard being in this holding pattern but its nice to know I'm not alone.
Old 02-21-11, 02:18 PM

tigsybear is on a distinguished road

I have severe ADHD and I kept on switching jobs...from working for an IT company ( a Japanese one! aaaah SO ADHD-unfriendly for sure) and then working as a programmer for 4 more years which I hated...EXCEPT for the graphic design part. I think seeing your graphic design on the computer and being able to test it immediately after creation is great for ADHDers.
I then got really tired of programming and got into accounts management. I loved the networking aspect of it since I'm very friendly...but LOATHED the daily tasks of managing accounts. Hated it!

Anyway, my point is that after 6 years of jobs that I didn't love (being ADHD, "like" is not an option...I have to LOVE what I do or I'll go crazy), I decided to move from the US to Thailand where it is way cheaper and I can actually move on to freelance writing jobs which I LOVE and still be able to afford rent at a nice place.
I don't require luxurious things so I'm really glad I decided to move to a cheaper country and still earn US $ from online writing while living here.
I taught little kids computer classes here too for a bit and I also LOVED that (my contract ended however)

So yeah, I would advice people who can make the move and want to get out of a career rut to try living in a cheaper area - not necessarily another country, but if you're 100% ADHD, you know what I mean when I say the excitement of moving to a foreign country is awesome as well. =)

Most jobs that many ADHDers love don't pay that well in the beginning, I think. I myself prefer creative jobs like writing and design.
Moving to an area with a significantly lower cost of living gives you the option of going after a job you want.
Old 02-21-11, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,526 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

If I was you Id go Airforce and fly the hell out of this state as fast as I could.I hate this freaking state of NJ.TIred of being cold guidos,@sshole drivers.@ssholes in general,chris christie.I cant leave right now but as soon as I can get out of the people republik of NJ
Old 04-12-11, 06:03 AM
Jr Member

swapz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentat50 View Post
Hey atomx,
I do not know how long you were into programming, but I guess not as long as I was - 32 years. Only my very first programming job lasted more than 3 years. All others lasted less than 2. I found out close to 10 years ago that I am ADD and Bipolar 2, but it did not keep me from trying again and again. That is, until I worked for my last employer that is a subsidiary of a Japanese company. Apparently Japanese companies set up their offices in very large rooms without any dividers like cubicles, just desk after desk after desk. That is about the worst you can do to an ADDer - nothing BUT distractions!! Anyway, I lasted a year and a week.
After filing for unemployment benefits I started taking aptitude/interest tests. One through Employment Security, one through Vocational Rehabilitation, one on the internet that I paid for, and one as part of a training program through the Software Association of New Hampshire. Guess what - all of them came up with the same result: I am in the wrong profession. They all recommended to go into an arts field like painting or music or writing. I scored the highest in music where my score compared favorably with professional musicians. I suggest you do the same. Get tested. It may change your life. If you score high for the arts I have some additional suggestions.

@innocentat50: Can you direct me to any online aptitude tests??

I am 2 years in to career as a HR and I strongly suspect I am gonna get fired and since day one of my job I wanted to change my career.
Thanks a lot for the post. It gives me some hope.

Regards,
The day dreamer.
Old 05-15-11, 07:47 PM

woodye has a spectacular aura aboutwoodye has a spectacular aura about

I had at least 4 good jobs,good benefits but was teased away to other jobs that I liked better but quit cuz I got bored. Dopey me.