ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 01-15-17, 07:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
Re: Constantly failing college classes for over 10 years and counting

I'm sure you've heard the definition of insanity.....doing the same thing over and over again each time expecting a different result. You can't just try harder. Something has to change. Change is scary, but if we don't change we stagnate and rot. After 30 F's, maybe you need to find out why, instead of getting any more. Take a break from school.

Only my advice, worth 1/2 of what you paid. Or not.
Old 01-15-17, 07:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post

10 years is a long time. A really long time.
There's great wisdom in that statement!
Old 01-15-17, 07:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,264 Times in 11,393 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

It is time to ride a different bicycle.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
MickeMouseFan (04-23-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-17, 05:27 PM

sour_princess will become famous soon enough

I went to see a therapist today and she told me I had ADHD--I have all the symptoms.
In a few days, I'll meet with a psychiatric nurse practitioner to start medication.

I really hope that this is why I've been having problems for so, so long.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sour_princess For This Useful Post:
AdultADHD (07-01-18), Drewbacca (01-20-17), johnny_walker (04-13-17)
Old 01-20-17, 11:42 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I have the rare bragging right of failing out of a semester system, a quarter system, and a trimester system... in each case, due to incomplete work or the inability to life the fog and read/write. It's amazing really, because while I was stuck on a ship I was reading some of the most difficult non-fiction imaginable without flinching... but as soon as I had to get work done on a definitive timeline... *pop* I started college in 1999... haven't fished yet. I have four years worth of credits but no degree and I've probably been in about eight years worth of classes now, so maybe I'll actually finish by the twenty year mark, with any luck?

Granted, I took years off in between and spent six years in the military... but still. It's been a roller-coaster. You aren't alone. I sent you a PM if you want to talk on a more personal level in regards to this stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (01-23-17), johnny_walker (04-13-17)
Old 01-20-17, 11:43 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I second the suggestion that you find out about getting tested for learning disabilities (which are separate from ADHD).

Failing the intro-level class three times in a subject you like just doesn't make sense otherwise.
It doesn't make sense... but I've done it too. Eight hours of neuropsych testing, and only mild problems observed. My problem is solely a matter of ADHD with maybe a sprinkle of depression/anxiety just to keep it interesting.
Old 02-20-18, 01:04 AM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_princess View Post
john, I need a master's degree and licensure to work as an art therapist.

dvd, you're absolutely right about having the same job history that I have now even after I've graduated. I'm determined to earn this degree because I really, really, really want to work as an art therapist, nothing else interests me, and getting a bachelor's degree will get me closer towards my goal. I fully understand that earning a bachelor's degree isn't the magic key to winning life, but it's the only way to get closer to my goals. Not to mention, I really want to "beat" whatever it is that's been holding me back my whole life--I'm a bit competitive, even with myself.
Seems you need to learn the basics in time management and get organized, may I suggest the pdf 'Getting things done fast' by David Allen, search youtube for some of David's TedTalks, you can thank me later.

Oh and if you can remember one thing from this post, I highly advise you to buy a pocket sized notepad and a pack of pilot pens, every day make a list of things you need to do, even if you don't finish those goals then that's ok, it's the ritual of putting your goals and 'to do's' front and center, plus you'll notice this activity will free up some of that 'psychic energy' over time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
AdultADHD (07-01-18), ToneTone (02-24-18)