ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-04, 09:24 AM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Nasa video games and ADHD

ADHD
Dr. Alan Poe
Increase Beta waves, decrease theta waves

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinoff2003/hm_2.html

http://www.aerospace.nasa.gov/library/ar00/goal4.2.htm

http://ohp.nasa.gov/cope/a_ld.htm

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/goddardnews/20030905/qwl.html

http://www.quest.arc.nasa.gov/events...001/DEST3.html

ADHD is studied by NASA, maybe because test pilots frequently share characteristics with ADHD?

nasatv_rtsp.ram

Destination tomorrow.
Old 01-26-04, 09:29 AM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
NASA has no copyrights on its public material.

IT SEEMS LIKE VIDEO GAMES ARE JUST ABOUT EVERYWHERE. PEOPLE HAVE THEM IN THEIR HOMES, ON THEIR COMPUTERS, AND EVEN SMALL HANDHELD VERSIONS.

NASA USES SIMULATORS, WHICH ARE SIMILAR TO VIDEO GAMES, TO TRAIN AND HELP PILOTS STAY FOCUSED WHILE FLYING A PLANE. DERIVED FROM THIS RESEARCH, NASA RESEARCHERS HAVE INCORPORATED THE USE OF VIDEO GAMES TO HELP TREAT PATIENTS WITH ATTENTION DEFICIT HYPERACTIVITY DISORDER. LYNDABETH BUREAU EXPLAINS.

HAVE YOU EVER MET SOMEONE WITH ATTENTION DEFICIT HYPERACTIVITY DISORDER, OR ADHD? CHANCES ARE THAT YOU HAVE. IT IS ESTIMATED THAT AS MANY AS 6% OF ALL AMERICANS SUFFER FROM THIS PROBLEM. COMMON SYMPTOMS OF ADHD CAN INCLUDE POOR ATTENTION SPAN, IMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR, AND, IN SOME CASES, HYPERACTIVITY.

CURRENTLY, DRUG TREATMENT IS THE MOST WIDELY USED APPROACH TO CONTROL THE UNWANTED BEHAVIOR ASSOCIATED WITH ADHD. BUT WOULD YOU BELIEVE THAT PLAYING VIDEO GAMES MIGHT HELP PEOPLE WITH ADHD CONTROL THEIR BEHAVIOR?

RESEARCHERS AT NASA LANGLEY RESEARCH CENTER AND EASTERN VIRGINIA MEDICAL SCHOOL HAVE BEEN CONDUCTING RESEARCH WHICH SHOWS THAT THE USE OF A SPECIALLY ADAPTED VIDEO GAME CONTROLLER IN CONJUNCTION WITH SOMETHING CALLED BIOFEEDBACK MAY DRASTICALLY CHANGE THE WAY WE TREAT ADHD. WE CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA FOR A WAY TO TREAT ADHD IN CHILDREN WITH OUR WORK IN FLIGHT SIMULATORS, WHERE WE WERE INTERESTED IN PILOTS' ATTENTIVENESS AND HOW TO IMPROVE THAT.

WE CONNECTED THEIR BRAIN WAVES TO THE FLIGHT SIMULATOR SO THAT IT AFFECTED HOW MUCH CONTROL THEY HAD OVER THE FLIGHT SIMULATOR. WE DECIDED THAT THIS MIGHT HAVE SOME USEFULNESS IN BRAIN WAVE BIOFEEDBACK TRAINING, AND WE SUBSTITUTED VIDEO GAMES FOR THE FLIGHT SIMULATOR, AND THAT BROUGHT THE ELEMENT OF MOTIVATION, THE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE INTO BIOFEEDBACK TRAINING. BIOFEEDBACK IS A TREATMENT TECHNIQUE THAT TEACHES PATIENTS TO TRAIN AND CONTROL NORMALLY INVOLUNTARY BODY FUNCTIONS, LIKE BRAIN WAVES, BY USING DISPLAYS OF SIGNALS FROM THEIR OWN BODIES.

WITH THE AID OF A BIOFEEDBACK MACHINE, PATIENTS WITH ADHD CAN LEARN TO TRAIN THE BRAIN WAVES THAT ARE ASSOCIATED WITH FOCUSING. PATIENTS TRAIN THESE BRAIN WAVES BY INCREASING THE STRENGTH OF HIGH-FREQUENCY BETA WAVES AND DECREASING THE STRENGTH OF LOW-FREQUENCY THETA WAVES. PRACTICING THESE BRAIN WAVE CHANGES HAS BEEN SHOWN TO LEAD TO AN IMPROVED ABILITY TO PAY ATTENTION. THESE BRAIN WAVES CAN BE TRAINED MUCH LIKE AN ATHLETE TRAINS HIS MUSCLES. FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN A PITCHER THROWS A BALL TOWARDS HOME PLATE, IF HE IS OFF THE MARK, THEN HE MUST ADJUST HIS DELIVERY THE NEXT TIME HE THROWS THE BALL. BIOFEEDBACK TRAINING WORKS SIMILARLY; IF A PATIENT'S BRAIN WAVES ARE NOT ON TARGET, THEN THE PATIENT MUST ADJUST HIS BRAIN WAVES TO MEET THE DESIRED GOAL. SO JUST AS THE PITCHER USES HIS MUSCLES TO ADJUST HIS DELIVERY, THE PATIENT USES HIS MIND TO ADJUST HIS BRAIN WAVES.

VIDEO GAMES OFFER THE ELEMENT OF MOTIVATION. THEY MAKE THE BIOFEEDBACK TRAINING ENTERTAINING FOR CHILDREN. BIOFEEDBACK TRAINING TYPICALLY IS JUST SHOWING CHILDREN DISPLAYS OF THEIR BRAIN WAVES AND ASKING THEM TO CONTROL THAT. WHAT WE'VE DONE IS EMBEDDED THAT IN AN ENTERTAINING, ENJOYABLE ACTIVITY. THIS TECHNOLOGY WORKS BY CONNECTING A CHILD'S BRAIN WAVES TO A VIDEO GAME CONTROLLER.

IN THE NASA/E.V.M.S. STUDY, SEVERAL OFF-THE-SHELF VIDEO GAMES WERE LINKED TO THE BIOFEEDBACK SIGNAL FROM THE PATIENT'S BRAIN WAVES THROUGH THE HANDHELD CONTROLLER THAT GUIDES THE GAME'S ACTION. WHEN THE GAME WAS ACTIVATED, THE PATIENT'S BRAIN WAVES ACTUALLY BECAME A PART OF THE GAME. IT WORKS LIKE THIS: WHILE A PATIENT IS PLAYING A CAR RACING GAME, FOR EXAMPLE, THE SENSORS PICK UP HIGH-FREQUENCY BETA WAVES AND LOW-FREQUENCY THETA WAVES FROM THE PLAYER'S BRAIN. IF THE BIOFEEDBACK MACHINE READS A HIGHER PERCENTAGE OF THETA WAVES, IT SENDS A SIGNAL TO THE CONTROLLER WHICH LOWERS THE TOP SPEED THAT THE PLAYER'S CAR CAN REACH. TO INCREASE HIS TOP SPEED, THE PLAYER MUST INCREASE HIS PERCENTAGE OF BETA WAVES. THE PLAYER LEARNS THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR TO PRODUCE MORE BETA WAVES AND NOT LIMIT HIS CAR'S TOP SPEED. WITH ENOUGH TRAINING, CHANGES IN THE PATIENT'S BRAIN BECOME AUTOMATIC AND CAN LEAD TO IMPROVED ATTENTION AND BEHAVIOR ALL THE TIME.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS AVAILABLE TO PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO BRING INTO THEIR HOME AND ENJOY THE BENEFITS OF BIOFEEDBACK TRAINING THROUGH ENTERTAINING ACTIVITIES. HOME VERSIONS OF THIS TECHNOLOGY ARE CURRENTLY BEING DEVELOPED THAT WOULD INCORPORATE SENSORS EMBEDDED INTO A HELMET TO MEASURE PLAYERS' BRAIN WAVES. IF THIS TECHNIQUE CONTINUES TO PROVE TO BE EFFECTIVE, ONE DAY, KIDS MAY ACTUALLY HAVE A GOOD EXCUSE TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES.

Last edited by Wheel1975; 01-26-04 at 09:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Wheel1975 For This Useful Post:
jaimar82 (04-12-11)
Old 02-03-04, 09:01 AM

misyfitz is on a distinguished road
I was just visiting some of the links from above and I would like to say that this is an amazing thing!!! Just think, Nasa is working on this to help our children, children with the same nightmare I grew-up with !! It will take many years for me to overcome my insecurities of feeling like a failure and building self-esteem but I am working on this everyday. The reason, because when I was in school, I was considered, special.....not able to hold a thought long enough to keep up with the others. So, I gave up at an early age and just took the F. Then they think your Stupid. I pray for all the advancements of technology to make our lives easier and in this case bless the children who are livening with this and if this will make it easier, or even just a little more manageable...then its worth the effort, they are worth the effort.

Even baby steps are hard some days
Sponsored Links