ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-18-18, 09:47 AM

MatureAgeStuden is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse cold turkey

Hello fellow Vyvanse users (past and present),

I have been on Vyvanse for 5 months (previously on Ritalin for 4 years). I previously told my psychiatrist I was having chest pains and he said we will have to monitor it. Lately it had been getting worse to the stage lastnight I was going to go to the hospitals emergency department.

I have stopped cold turkey to get my heart pain to subside.

The first day (today) I was lethargic and could not concentrate. I also could not stop eating.

I have tried all day to contact my psychiatrists consulting rooms and could only leave recorded voicemails. I have also sent through an email with no reply.

I have tried going to sleep and I am really anxious with my heart raised with irregular beats at times.

Does anyone know how long does the insomnia and anxiety take reduce when going cold turkey?
Old 04-18-18, 02:05 PM

cuegeee is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse cold turkey

I had been on Vyvanse for a good 3-4 years. I did end up stopping cold turkey as well. I just found the negatives outweighed the benefits. I did have to use edibles to assist with the sleeping at first.
Old 04-19-18, 02:44 AM

** UPDATE**

I ended up going to emergency department as the chest pains increased.

They couldn't find anything using an ECG or chest x-ray.

The blood tests resulted in showing high creatinine, high uriac acid and high lympocyte absolute values with a blood pressure of 132 / 71 (similar to when tested by the GP).

The GP said the values are high but both the Doctors and nurses at the hospital said 132 / 71 is normal.

I don't get why they both come to different conclusions.

My psych has advised me to go to the GP, get a cardiac enzyme test (which he said should have been done at the hospital) and get a referral to a cardiologist to be certain.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-18, 10:04 PM

Hey cuegeee,

Can you please tell me what negatives you experienced? Was it the medication lost its effect? Did you take weekends off of Vyvanse and if so, how badly was your cognition affected?

Has anyone else gone off Vyvanse cold turkey for a single day and had their cognition be an issue 3 days later?
Old 04-22-18, 11:04 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatureAgeStuden View Post
---SNIPPAGE---

Has anyone else gone off Vyvanse cold turkey for a single day and had their cognition be an issue 3 days later?
Hey MAS, Just want to clarify your question for me. You stopped Vyvanse for 1 day and restarted on the 2nd day and took the Vyvanse on 3rd day as well, but had cognitive issues starting on the first day and the next 2 days? Thx, -LN
Old 04-25-18, 08:04 AM

Hi Little Nut,

That one single day off has completely messed with my cognition. I booked a return flight 3 days after with the departing and return locations back to front.

I have never done tha before and I fly frequently.

I lose track of thinking at a higher rate than before I stopped for a day and find it more difficult to relocate where I got lost in my train of thought.

Me going off the Vyvanse for a single day brought on strong panic attacks (which I suffer from on occasion).
Old 04-25-18, 11:21 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatureAgeStuden View Post
Hi Little Nut,

That one single day off has completely messed with my cognition. I booked a return flight 3 days after with the departing and return locations back to front.

I have never done tha before and I fly frequently.

I lose track of thinking at a higher rate than before I stopped for a day and find it more difficult to relocate where I got lost in my train of thought.

Me going off the Vyvanse for a single day brought on strong panic attacks (which I suffer from on occasion).
Hi MAS, For me if I stop taking dex for an extended time it takes me 2 weeks to get back to normal. First few days I sleep alot, periods of being fuzzy headed. For about a week or so, I eat more than normal and may have cravings. OTOH my vision will improve a little, I urinate normally, and my sleep pattern improves and becomes much more stable. Of course my symptoms get worse (normal).

When I reread your posts my understanding is.

Prior to DAY1
Taking Vyvanse
No other Medical Conditions
No other medications
Started getting chest pains

DAY 1
Discontinue Vyvanse
Cognitive Skills go to crap.
Strong Panic Attacks
Lethargic
Poor Concentration
elevated heart rate
irregular heart rate
Trouble Sleeping

Day 2
Restart Vyvanse at previous dosage
Cognitive Skills still crappy.
May have Strong Panic Attacks
Repeatedly Lose track of thought
Chest pain continued
Trouble Sleeping

Day 3
Continue taking Vyvanse at previous dosage
Cognitive Skills still crappy.
May have Strong Panic Attacks
Repeatedly Lose track of thought
Chest pain continued
Trouble Sleeping

Did I get your situation correct as indicated above? If not I would appreciate you edit the above table to correct. TIA, -LN