ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 04-17-18, 08:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,222 Times in 921 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Attention Deficit Hypoactivity Disorder

I think all cases of "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder" should really be called "Attention Deficit Hypoactivity Disorder".

This thread is meant to explore why I think all cases of "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder" should really be called "Attention Deficit Hypoactivity Disorder".

M
Old 04-17-18, 09:31 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,050 Times in 7,497 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention Deficit Hypoactivity Disorder

Oh dear lord...ANOTHER name for the disorder???

Why? Why do we need to change the name? What will changing the name do for us?
And why do you have to keep coming up with different things to call this disorder? I can't possibly be the only one who gets confused and frustrated by it?

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-17-18)
Old 04-18-18, 12:04 AM

There are 3 evolutionary processing levels of the brain.

In this thread, I will use an analogy of "a ice cream cone, with a single scoop of vanilla ice cream, dipped in chocolate", to represent and help describe the 3 processing levels of the brain.

1)The "cone" will represent the lower deeply subcortex, first processing level of the brain, (limbic system below the amygdala).

2)The "ice cream" will represent the middle subcortex, second processing level of the brain, (limbic system above the amygdala).

3)The "chocolate dip" will represent the higher outer neocortex, third processing level of the brain.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-18-18 at 12:14 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-18, 02:39 AM

Our 3 processing levels of the brain mature/develop from the bottom up, like we make a ice cream cone with a scoop of vanilla ice cream dipped in chocolate.

1) First, we need the "cone". (The first level of brain processing, below the amygdala)

2) Second, we need the "scoop of vanilla ice cream". (The second level of brain processing, above the amygdala)

3) Third, we need the "chocolate dip". (The third level of brain processing)

We eat the chocolate dip vanilla ice cream cone from the top down.

M
Greyhound1 (04-18-18)
Old 04-18-18, 02:47 AM

The dopaminerigic SEEKING/general motivation system originates in the ventral tegmental area (VTA), in the first level of brain processing. (Originating in the "cone")

ADHD has been linked to hypoactivity of dopamine neurones in the VTA. (Originating in the "cone")

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-18-18 at 03:00 AM..
Old 04-18-18, 03:05 AM

Methylphenidate has been found to increase activity in the ventral tegmental area.

Quote:

Highlights

• 89% (154/173) VTA units responded;
66% (101/154) increased their firing rate.

•92% (48/52) VTA units responded to 0.6 mg/kg;
58% (28/48) decreased firing rate.

•80% (48/60 VTA units responded to 2.5 mg/kg;
79% (38/48) increased firing rate.

•95% (58/61) VTA units responded to 10.0 mg/kg;
70% (43/61) increased firing rate.

• MPD caused an increase in locomotor activity with a dose response characteristic.

Abstract
Methylphenidate (MPD) is the drug of choice prescribed to treat ADHD patients. More recently, MPD is also used as a cognitive enhancement and recreationally by young adults and its therapeutic effects are not fully understood. One of the neuroanatomical sites is reported to be the ventral tegmental area (VTA). The ventral tegmental area neuronal activity was recorded from freely behaving non-anesthetized rats implanted bilaterally with semi-permanent electrodes which were recorded from a wireless telemetric system. Thirty-three animals, divided randomly into four groups, were used: saline (n = 10), 0.6 mg/kg (n = 6), 2.5 mg/kg (n = 7) and 10.0 mg/kg MPD (n = 10). MPD caused an increase in locomotor activity with a dose response characteristic; 0.6 mg/kg MPD elicited some increase in locomotion, but not significantly, while 2.5 and 10.0 mg/kg MPD elicited significant increases in behavior of 191% and 870% respectively. A total of 209 ventral tegmental area units were recorded; 100% (36/36) units showed no response to saline; 89% (154/173) of the neurons responded to MPD, with the majority 66% (101/154) showing an increase in activity. In response to 0.6 mg/kg (n = 52), the majority of units 54% (28/52) showed a decrease in activity. For both 2.5 (n = 60) and 10.0 mg/kg (n = 61), the majority of ventral tegmental area units responded with an increase in activity with 63% (38/60) and 70% (43/61) respectively. This study demonstrated that the majority of ventral tegmental area neurons respond to acute MPD in a dose response characteristic and are not related to the animal's locomotor activity.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...61923013000579

M
Old 04-18-18, 09:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I feel that that is what I have and have always had. I don't know if that is true for everyone, and cannot speak for everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (04-18-18)
Old 04-18-18, 04:59 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I like Dr. Hallowell's alternate designation personally. Attention Surplus Disorder. It's not that I have a deficit of attention ability, it's that I just can't sort out the incoming signals properly. If anything, I think we pay too much attention to things, hence why we run our minds in circles over things that don't always deserve it.
Greyhound1 (04-20-18), Little Missy (04-18-18), Lunacie (04-18-18), mildadhd (04-18-18), peripatetic (04-18-18), stef (04-18-18)
Old 04-18-18, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesandro1 View Post
I feel that that is what I have and have always had. I don't know if that is true for everyone, and cannot speak for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
I like Dr. Hallowell's alternate designation personally. Attention Surplus Disorder. It's not that I have a deficit of attention ability, it's that I just can't sort out the incoming signals properly. If anything, I think we pay too much attention to things, hence why we run our minds in circles over things that don't always deserve it.
Thanks

I do not disagree.

ADHD involves all 3 processing levels of the brain, working from both the bottom up and the top down.

First I am going to focus on discussing the 3 processing levels of the brains normally developing from the bottom up.

After discussing how the brain matures from the bottom up, I would like to return to discuss these two posts, considering the whole brain working together both from bottom up and top down.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-18-18 at 07:12 PM..
Old 04-18-18, 08:30 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,050 Times in 7,497 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
This thread is meant to explore why I think all cases of "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder" should really be called "Attention Deficit Hypoactivity Disorder".
I'm still curious why you think we need yet another name for this disorder, and what would be gained by changing it.

I thought that's what you made this thread for?

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-18-18)
Old 04-18-18, 09:55 PM

Thanked 21,403 Times in 11,479 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Thanks

I do not disagree.

ADHD involves all 3 processing levels of the brain, working from both the bottom up and the top down.

First I am going to focus on discussing the 3 processing levels of the brains normally developing from the bottom up.

After discussing how the brain matures from the bottom up, I would like to return to discuss these two posts, considering the whole brain working together both from bottom up and top down.

M
This seems very similar.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-18-18, 10:57 PM

1) Unconditioned genetic, emotional feeling systems, brain-body feeling systems, and sensory feeling systems are processed in the first processing level of the brain. (The "cone")

2) Conditioned learning and memories are processed in the second processing level of the brain. (The "ice cream")

3) Conditioned awareness/self regulation functions are processed in the third processing level of the brain. (The "chocolate dip")

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-18-18 at 11:24 PM..
Old 04-19-18, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesandro1 View Post
I think your right not to include everyone in exactly the same presentation of boat.

Due to possible individual variations of epigenetically inherited temperament and individual emotional circumstances, hypoactivity may not be consistent throughout all 3 processing levels of the brain.

Some possible example...

-Some people may have inherited a more hypoactive temperament of the first processing level of the brain, developmentally influencing hypoactivity of the second and third processing levels of the brain.

-Some people may not have inherited a more hypoactive temperament of the first processing level of the brain, but experienced chronic emotional distresses after birth and the first few years of life, developmentally infleuencing hypoactivity of the second and third processing levels of the brain.

-Some people may have experienced combination of both.

-Some people may have been born with a more hypoactive hypersensitive temperament, but experienced emotional circumstances that promote development, and in turn not resulted in hypoactivity of second and third processing levels of the brain, etc..

(-Sources of the chronic emotional distresses also vary depending on the individual inherited emotional temperament and/or emotional circumstances)

(-Sources of epigenetically inherited hypersensitive emotional temperament may also vary depending on ancestors emotional temperament and/or circumstances)

Quote:
Quote:
..Given what we know--and what we don't know--the only test of any explanation for attention deficit disorder is whether it makes sense in the light of people's experiences and the available research facts, and whether it can be used productively to help people.
-Gabor Mate M.D., "Scattered", p 25.

M
Old 04-19-18, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
Focusing on ADHD only in this post, I think the concept of (Involuntary) Attention Surplus Disorder is the effect of top down hypoactive processing levels in the brain.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-19-18 at 03:25 AM..
Old 04-19-18, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hyperactivity, like other traits associated with ADD, is a normal stage in the maturation of a child...

...Hyperactivity and its counterpart, the lethargy of many children and adults with ADD, are both exaggerations of body states first experienced during toddlerhood...

...They each represent activity of the autonomic nervous system, which, in ADD, is poorly controlled..
-Gabor Mate M.D., "Scattered", p 130
Hyperactivity and inattention experienced by people as result of having ADHD, are both due to hypoactive processing levels in the brain.

M