ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-21-19, 06:50 AM

MilosM is on a distinguished road
How the most boring job imaginable helped me get back on my feet.

I had many jobs, and I got fired from most of those, while in some cases I quit to avoid getting fired. Then I found this factory job that pays well, but is physically demanding, boring and I have to work night shifts. It turns out this job is actually ADHD friendly, kind of. How can a boring factory job be ADHD friendly? Because it is so simple and boring, that you can get it done while daydreaming the entire day. I can be lost in thoughts the entire shift, and I still won't mess anything up. This is great for my stress levels, and because for the first time I had some spare money, I was able to get diagnosed and purchase my first meds. Also, because I am physically active my ADHD symptoms are more manageable than before anyway.

This is far from the solution I seek of course. I still feel that my potential is wasted, and my impulsive buying will put me into debt anyway, it's only a matter of time. I am trying to figure out how to do something more meaningful that pays more, but that will be hard. I do have some opportunities to progress inside this factory, but I'm afraid that any promotion will set me up for failure in the long run.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MilosM For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (08-21-19), Lunacie (08-21-19), namazu (08-21-19), SashaBV (08-22-19), stef (08-21-19)
Old 08-21-19, 09:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,188 Times in 2,163 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: How the most boring job imaginable helped me get back on my feet.

That's interestingly ironic. Maybe it could help others too.

And it's stable which is fantastic. Good for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
MilosM (08-22-19)
Old 08-21-19, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
That's interestingly ironic. Maybe it could help others too.

And it's stable which is fantastic. Good for you!
It's not ideal, but it is surely better than what I had a year ago. I took some action, and things are changing at least. I do hope it helps someone.

Actually, I had more to add, but I posted it only to edit later, which I can't do now without admin's approval. I guess I'll just paste that part below in this post.

What is written below was supposed to be in the OP.

All my previous jobs were 80% boring work, and then 20% something that required focus, which is why I would fail. After your mind gets used to working something that allows you to daydream at the same time, it is near impossible to focus on the part of the job that requires focus, even if that something is a small part of the work. So, this job that consists of 100% boring tasks is actually better, because I won't get fired. The question is, what would happen if I found a job that requires 100% focus? Or at least close to that. Would I do better or worse? Maybe the work would be stimulating enough so that I would not lose focus and would not get lost in thoughts that often. Even if that is true, what kind of job would that even be? If there is a such job, what are my odds at getting it, since I didn't even graduate from high school.

Thanks for reading,
Milos

Last edited by MilosM; 08-21-19 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Added some sentences that I forgot to include. Fixed some typos.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-19, 11:51 AM

Thanked 27,049 Times in 12,624 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Yay for getting a diagnosis and starting meds. As you begin to manage your
symptoms better with treatment and understanding, it's possible you may be
able to try something more fulfilling to you.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
MilosM (08-22-19)
Old 08-21-19, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Yay for getting a diagnosis and starting meds. As you begin to manage your
symptoms better with treatment and understanding, it's possible you may be
able to try something more fulfilling to you.
I hope so, this worked well for a year, but I am getting into debt and I need more money. Not to mention that I am becoming increasingly annoyed by the fact that I can't do more than this.
Old 08-21-19, 12:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

With the right meds, you will be able to realize your potential, although you will have to do a lot on your part. The meds are like putting on glasses, they help you see, but then you have to read if you want to move forward (it's an example). You say you work shifts (me too), that can leave you time to try to get some studies. I think you would do well psychological therapy to direct your life towards certain goals.
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
MilosM (08-22-19)
Old 08-21-19, 04:27 PM

Thanked 27,533 Times in 13,329 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being quite happy working summer temp jobs involving gluing stuff together and assembling folders, back in the late 80's.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
MilosM (08-22-19)
Old 08-21-19, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benito View Post
With the right meds, you will be able to realize your potential, although you will have to do a lot on your part. The meds are like putting on glasses, they help you see, but then you have to read if you want to move forward (it's an example). You say you work shifts (me too), that can leave you time to try to get some studies. I think you would do well psychological therapy to direct your life towards certain goals.
The biggest issue with this is that the only medicine available where I live is Concerta. If that fails I will have to find a way to get by without meds, or I will combine it with whatever, even if I wreck my health in the long run. I also don't have much time nowadays since I have two kids as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
I remember being quite happy working summer temp jobs involving gluing stuff together and assembling folders, back in the late 80's.
I could be happy for a while with any job that I am capable of doing, but with time I would have to change something or else I would be miserable.
The Following User Says Thank You to MilosM For This Useful Post:
stef (08-21-19)