ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-17, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

BOCK102 is on a distinguished road
Does vacuuming make anyone else crazy?

So I just smashed my vacuum cleaner!

I hate vacuuming. I hate the sound, the feel and the unwelcome sweating. My fiancee has gone out for the night and asked me to do it but when the bloody thing wouldn't go in the direction I wanted I lost my temper and smashed it!

I've always hated it as it feels like sensory overload. Does anyone else get like this when their senses are overloaded? Ps I'm not a violent person by any means, but the dreaded vacuum cleaner has always been something I've despised!

Thanks in advance for reading about my craziness lol
namazu (09-09-17), Science112 (09-12-17)
Old 09-08-17, 06:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,877 Times in 11,051 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does vacuuming make anyone else crazy?

Yes, the sound of a vacuum cleaner (Hoover for those in the UK) has always
stressed me out. The only way I can stand it is if I'm in control and can shut
it off.

For me, the thing that is even worse is a two-stroke motorcycle engine,
especially when it's being revved. I would have jumped out of my seat last
week when one darted up from behind unexpectedly, but thankfully I had my
seat belt fastened.

My daughter asked me what is it about that sound that stresses me out?
I don't know how to answer that. This week she mentioned that she hates
the sound of people breathing loudly and sometimes at work will ask another
clerk to take over for her if she has to wait on a mouth breather.

She can no more explain her reaction than I can explain mine.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 09-08-17, 07:00 PM

Thanked 19,296 Times in 10,257 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Try dragging around a stainless steel Filter Queen on casters. Looks like R2D2. Weighs a ton, has a zillion attachments and a super long hose.

I'll tell you what though, you want something that can really suck it up? This one is for you.

Way too loud. Very cumbersome. But, it works. I hate it.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-09-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-17, 07:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

when i drink to0 much coffee, i get quite aggressive, sometimes pounding the table while trying to contain the irritation. Its like i get super sensitive and irritated of my surroundings, it could be the sugar because i am fine when i take caffeine pills. weird. never found an answer to that one. i used to get super crazy when people would chew loudly, impulsively punched my brother in the lip one time.
Old 09-08-17, 08:20 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,436 Times in 9,099 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

I love vacuuming! (Well, to the extent I love any chore...)

It gives me instant gratification -- I can see stuff getting sucked up and the floor getting cleaner. I don't mind the sound at all. (The sweat, yeah, I could do without. But at least it makes me feel like I'm getting a workout.)

Now, getting the clutter off the floor to the point that I can actually vacuum? That overwhelms me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-09-17), anonymouslyadd (09-08-17), peripatetic (09-09-17), stef (09-09-17), Wire Mother (09-08-17)
Old 09-08-17, 11:33 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't require a vacuum to make me crazy I come that way naturally

I do not hate vacuuming as much as I hate carpet ... no carpet no need to vacuum or use that dreaded device called a carpet cleaner. It makes just as much noise but is twice as much work to deal with emptying buckets of nasty water and refilling the darn clean water bucket only to end up with empty clean water bucket and a full nasty water bucket I have to figure out what to do with

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 09-09-17, 02:00 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,117 Times in 12,775 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I found it kind of satisfying
what i really used to hate, was my mom vacuuming! can you not?
Old 09-09-17, 03:13 AM

Kaia.S is just really niceKaia.S is just really niceKaia.S is just really niceKaia.S is just really nice

I can get aggressive thoughts when loud noises intrude my space. Your vaccuum cleaner had it coming
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 04:53 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,360 Times in 751 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

Certain sounds at certain times/circumstances can send me into irrational irritability all the way to rage.

Just to keep things fun, the sounds and times/circumstances change so I never know when it will hit.

I don't know if it's ADHD or what.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 09-09-17, 12:28 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
Certain sounds at certain times/circumstances can send me into irrational irritability all the way to rage.

Just to keep things fun, the sounds and times/circumstances change so I never know when it will hit.

I don't know if it's ADHD or what.
It's Sensory Processing Disorder. Sometimes called Sensory Integration Disorder.

Or maybe Misophonia. Google them.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (09-10-17), TheGreatKing (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 01:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatKing View Post
when i drink to0 much coffee, i get quite aggressive, sometimes pounding the table while trying to contain the irritation. Its like i get super sensitive and irritated of my surroundings, it could be the sugar because i am fine when i take caffeine pills. weird. never found an answer to that one. i used to get super crazy when people would chew loudly, impulsively punched my brother in the lip one time.
I feel so stupid, everyone is talking about vacuum cleaners and i bring up my sensitivity to coffee
Old 09-09-17, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I feel so stupid, everyone is talking about vacuum cleaners and i bring up my sensitivity to coffee
I've never noticed a coorelation between my consumption of caffeine (cola)
and my irritation/anger. Doesn't mean there might not be one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
TheGreatKing (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 02:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I've never noticed a coorelation between my consumption of caffeine (cola)
and my irritation/anger. Doesn't mean there might not be one.
It might be excessive sugar, but i dunno maybe its too much caffeine, it usually after 2 cups of coffee in one sitting which makes me become over sensitive/irritated. I usually take one tablespoon of sugar, some milk with my coffee. weird right?
Old 09-09-17, 03:04 PM

Quote:
It might be excessive sugar, but i dunno maybe its too much caffeine, it usually after 2 cups of coffee in one sitting which makes me become over sensitive/irritated. I usually take one tablespoon of sugar, some milk with my coffee. weird right?
My daughter puts about that much sugar in her coffee, but no milk. And there
is sugar in my cola. Cookies make me happy, not irritated, so I figured it must
be the caffeine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
TheGreatKing (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 04:23 PM

Thanked 19,296 Times in 10,257 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I have never smashed a vacuum, nor would I.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-09-17)