ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-17, 05:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold
Achieving goals help

Hi everyone
I ve always had trouble with achieving goals from small to big goals and I was wondering if anyone has a system that helps you achieve your goals and if you could share the details not only to help me but others that might find this thread.
Old 09-08-17, 06:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
Re: Achieving goals help

I pray hard. Sometimes that helps
Old 09-08-17, 06:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
I pray hard. Sometimes that helps
Never helps me, maybe i am not doing it hard enough!
Old 09-09-17, 12:31 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,342 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Umm well that depends the type of goal. Are you talking long term goals or short term goals.

One of the thing I have to do when it comes to goals is to narrow it down by being specific.

The next thing is to be able to remember my gaol long enough to keep the same goal for more than 30 minutes. I also have to consider whether or not my goal is tangable.

Any way once you idenified your goal you have to consider what it is going to take to get the goal met.

I want to start a non-profit

I have to find out what it takes to be a non-profit.

If a goal is unobtainable then some times it has to be changed or tweaked... becoming a non-profit is complicated so it was not a realstic goal so had to figure out why I wanted to do a non-profit - I need help with my cat rescue - but I need to be more specific so what isitI need

I want to meet other people doing cat rescue and I need some extra cash to help mje pay some vet bills.

Soo to meet my goal of wanting colaberation and getting my hands on some extra money I can look for other like minded people by joining a group, raise money by getting rid of stuff I no longer need through a garage sale.

Goals do not have to be set in stone what they do need to do is meet a need or genertate a reward.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (09-11-17), stef (09-09-17), TheGreatKing (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 01:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Man, that sounds like a large strain on executive functions.

I don't think I'd be able to do that unmedicated! I wouldn't have a prayer
Old 09-09-17, 12:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Umm well that depends the type of goal. Are you talking long term goals or short term goals.
Goals do not have to be set in stone what they do need to do is meet a need or genertate a reward.
That is a good point! I guess i am talking about both lol I have trouble with short and long term goals but i think most of my issue lie with long term goals because i never get past the first year or even the first few months before i forget,procrastinate or want to do something else, which in turn means that i have never successfully finished my long term goal and i am 28 years of age.
Last year i successfully went 3 months with a diet and went from 180 to 158 lbs
which now that i think about i was writing daily and putting my daily goals on my fridge. I tried that lately and failed horrible lol actually forgot about my goals.
I know people adhd and add have a hard time with achieving goals and i wanted to see if there is a general system that may help many people achieve there goals in life.
Old 09-09-17, 01:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdme View Post
First, as a individual with ADD or ADHD you must admit to your self out loud that you have issues with self-discipline and or discipline in its entirety. Once you affirm this fact your informing your unconscious mind of this discipline gap. Now you have to understand that over the course of your day you will make 100's of decisions conciously and unconsiously. Now you must make your self aware of each decision even the decision of having to go to the bathroom, get a drink to water, watch television etc. Once you become aware that your making a decision literally every minute of your day you now need to understand how each decision can change the course of your entire day for example like not wanting to get out of bed which would ensure your not productive for the day. Once you affirm the fact you have issues with discipline and now your concious of this and your decisions self accountability will become natural. Once it is natural you will be able to close the gaps in other areas of your life. I did not cover external distractions such as family, friends and work. But, in short you need to learn to say No. If your friends are distracting you shut them down and go your own course. Become the leader pave your own way. One exercise you can practice in real time is when your in a group and if anyone says, "What do you want todo" be the person who leads with idea's. This will help with discipline and confidence. This makes you a stronger person. I know I have digressed but this is very good advice that has helped me that I have either read from books or through personal self development and experience.

Best,
ADHDME
I was talking to ADHDME and he gave me this advice, hopefully that helps, what you think?
Old 09-09-17, 01:20 PM

adhdme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatKing View Post
Hi everyone
I ve always had trouble with achieving goals from small to big goals and I was wondering if anyone has a system that helps you achieve your goals and if you could share the details not only to help me but others that might find this thread.
Yo THEGREATKING again,

This is my forte, achieving GOALS! EXECUTING AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS! I was not always like this. I dropped out of high school even and everyone thought there was no hope. But, little did everyone know I had a plan. I dropped out of school when I was 17 years old on the first day of my senior year. I say this with pride because it was my journey. It has made me become the man I am today. You see the day I left I went to Little Caesars and applied for a job. I told myself, you did not fail school the California Education System failed you. I went to a poor school, no budget under staffed and over capacity. Each class had between 40-45 students in one class room. I cannot learn in that capacity there was 100's of distractions happening every single mili-second. The funniest thing though I have a rare thought process I believe I can take a look at situations and see between the lines. I am very street smart with an incredible sense of instinct and logical reasoning. I knew I would not be successful so I left to go learn the value of a dollar. I again spoke to myself which I do fairly often and said to myself, "They were preparing us for college just to get a job." Why do I have to do it in the order they created? So I left and started doing fairly well for a 17 year old. Saved a lot of money, became financially independent, great credit. Then I quit my JOB! because I realized I fufilled what I needed to do but I felt a different calling. Education. as I turned 18 I sat down for 2 weeks locked in my room and watched over 100 GED videos and taught myself how to become a great writer, learned more about science and history and I taught myself math! I sat down for the test 5 seperate times and passed with flying colors. At that time I felt I had to atleast obtain the minimum requirement of education. I was not going to just simply make my previous 12 years of education (Elementary - Highschool) worthless by not obtaining anything from it. Fast forward now, I am 28 I have been taking it slow in school but I have maintained a 4.0. School is easy for me now because I take my classes online and I better off teaching myself the information then being in a distracting class room. On the other hand, obtaining education has never been a goal just to make money. Making money is easy in America! The hardest thing is to keep it after earning. In which discipline comes into play but with our condition this is never easy due to the impulsive decisions we make daily.

So now after sharing my story with you. Tell me what do you want? Whats your why? What goals do you want to set and I`ll tell you how to follow up and follow through and execute. Its quite simple.
Attached Images
File Type: png 4.PNG (83.9 KB, 4 views)

I seen this in someones signature, forgive me I missed your name, PM ME i`ll give you credit! Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to adhdme For This Useful Post:
TheGreatKing (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 02:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdme View Post
Yo THEGREATKING again,

This is my forte, achieving GOALS! EXECUTING AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS! I was not always like this. I dropped out of high school even and everyone thought there was no hope. But, little did everyone know I had a plan. I dropped out of school when I was 17 years old on the first day of my senior year. I say this with pride because it was my journey. It has made me become the man I am today. You see the day I left I went to Little Caesars and applied for a job. I told myself, you did not fail school the California Education System failed you. I went to a poor school, no budget under staffed and over capacity. Each class had between 40-45 students in one class room. I cannot learn in that capacity there was 100's of distractions happening every single mili-second. The funniest thing though I have a rare thought process I believe I can take a look at situations and see between the lines. I am very street smart with an incredible sense of instinct and logical reasoning. I knew I would not be successful so I left to go learn the value of a dollar. I again spoke to myself which I do fairly often and said to myself, "They were preparing us for college just to get a job." Why do I have to do it in the order they created? So I left and started doing fairly well for a 17 year old. Saved a lot of money, became financially independent, great credit. Then I quit my JOB! because I realized I fufilled what I needed to do but I felt a different calling. Education. as I turned 18 I sat down for 2 weeks locked in my room and watched over 100 GED videos and taught myself how to become a great writer, learned more about science and history and I taught myself math! I sat down for the test 5 seperate times and passed with flying colors. At that time I felt I had to atleast obtain the minimum requirement of education. I was not going to just simply make my previous 12 years of education (Elementary - Highschool) worthless by not obtaining anything from it. Fast forward now, I am 28 I have been taking it slow in school but I have maintained a 4.0. School is easy for me now because I take my classes online and I better off teaching myself the information then being in a distracting class room. On the other hand, obtaining education has never been a goal just to make money. Making money is easy in America! The hardest thing is to keep it after earning. In which discipline comes into play but with our condition this is never easy due to the impulsive decisions we make daily.

So now after sharing my story with you. Tell me what do you want? Whats your why? What goals do you want to set and I`ll tell you how to follow up and follow through and execute. Its quite simple.
yet again ADHDME thank you! Well it started when i was a kid about 8 years old, i started sketching, and i was good at it, always in an out of it from then on, you see i wanted to be a cartoonist, because cartoons were the things i got swept up with when the world wasn't right. went to a few art schools and dropped out after a month or 2. Art was always the one i came back too but honestly with adhd its a constant battle of different interests. I feel so good when i finish piece is accomplished but i seem to not have the motivation to get my butt in gear when i need it but when i start man i can go for hours with some music of course can never go longer then a month or 2 before i stop doing it or anything for that matter of fact. anyways i would love to be able to make my own graphic novel or have some work on the side illustrating for people. My life has been in and out of hundreds of different interests a year and i wish for once that i could just have one stable interest that i keep doing forever. that is something that have a hard time emotionally , it makes me sad. now i have been trying to find solution for my impulsive and spontaneous change of heart in hopes to stabilize some how.
Old 09-09-17, 09:11 PM

Thanked 1,291 Times in 530 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant futureInvitroCanibal has a brilliant future

Sure.

Almost every choice in life comes down to Cost to Benefit Risk Analysis and Critical Assessment.

Every system uses some form of Risk Management.

Understanding that, you have to realize what moving forward with a goal is.

Moving forward is more about preventing unwanted outcomes in your life than it is about pursuing the ones that you want.

To prevent something from happening is to plan.

To plan properly you must run a "What Could Go Wrong?" Scenario in your head.

Phase out your answers for questions. The right questions will get you closer to what you want.

For example,

Sometimes it means, Instead of looking at "What should I be doing right now to accomplish my goal?

Instead ask yourself

"What should I NOT be doing?"

Approaching a goal in a non-reflexive way takes you off autopilot in your life.

Messaged you if you need anything else

Thanks
aeon (09-11-17), Little Missy (09-09-17), TheGreatKing (09-10-17)
Old 09-09-17, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,630 Times in 9,932 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvitroCanibal View Post
Sure.

Almost every choice in life comes down to Cost to Benefit Risk Analysis and Critical Assessment.

Every system uses some form of Risk Management.

Understanding that, you have to realize what moving forward with a goal is.

Moving forward is more about preventing unwanted outcomes in your life than it is about pursuing the ones that you want.

To prevent something from happening is to plan.

To plan properly you must run a "What Could Go Wrong?" Scenario in your head.

Phase out your answers for questions. The right questions will get you closer to what you want.

For example,

Sometimes it means, Instead of looking at "What should I be doing right now to accomplish my goal?

Instead ask yourself

"What should I NOT be doing?"

Approaching a goal in a non-reflexive way takes you off autopilot in your life.

Messaged you if you need anything else

Thanks
sometimes it helps to have a plan B also

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-11-17), InvitroCanibal (09-09-17), TheGreatKing (09-10-17)
Old 09-11-17, 07:13 AM

ScatterBrainX is on a distinguished road

Pick ONE goal. The one that has the most benefits, or that would make it easier to achieve other goals. Ignore all the rest for now.

How much time can you spend on that goal, even if you really really aren't in the mood for it that day? 1 hour? Even 5 minutes is ok. Pick whatever time you know you can handle.

Every day, spend that amount of time on the goal. Preferably at around the same time. Make it part of your routine. Do something directly related to the goal (not "cleaning my desk to have more room to work"). It doesn't matter what you do, as long as it gives you some direct progress towards your goal.

If you're really not in the mood, or start questioning if you picked the right goal, remind yourself that it's not only about the goal itself, but also strengthening your willpower. It works much like a muscle, the more you train it, the easier it gets. Don't expect to run a marathon on day 1, you'll just end up exhausted and with sore legs.

Once you've nailed that, and you do it almost without thinking, increase the time gradually. You're doing 5 minutes? Great, aim for 10!

The goal will eventually be met, and when you get started on your second goal, it'll be that much easier because of all the willpower strengthening.
InvitroCanibal (09-12-17), TheGreatKing (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 03:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatterBrainX View Post
Pick ONE goal. The one that has the most benefits, or that would make it easier to achieve other goals. Ignore all the rest for now.

How much time can you spend on that goal, even if you really really aren't in the mood for it that day? 1 hour? Even 5 minutes is ok. Pick whatever time you know you can handle.

Every day, spend that amount of time on the goal. Preferably at around the same time. Make it part of your routine. Do something directly related to the goal (not "cleaning my desk to have more room to work"). It doesn't matter what you do, as long as it gives you some direct progress towards your goal.

If you're really not in the mood, or start questioning if you picked the right goal, remind yourself that it's not only about the goal itself, but also strengthening your willpower. It works much like a muscle, the more you train it, the easier it gets. Don't expect to run a marathon on day 1, you'll just end up exhausted and with sore legs.

Once you've nailed that, and you do it almost without thinking, increase the time gradually. You're doing 5 minutes? Great, aim for 10!

The goal will eventually be met, and when you get started on your second goal, it'll be that much easier because of all the willpower strengthening.
Thank you very much for that! I think this will help not just me but whomever comes across this.
InvitroCanibal (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 12:03 AM

Muggy ray is on a distinguished road

I always have a short term goal (1-2 months) and a long term goal (1-2 years) and write I down every day it helps keep it in your mind.