ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-17, 03:58 PM
Jr Member

Artiste is on a distinguished road
Re: Interactions Between ASD & ADHD?

"ADHD is a life of switching tasks in search of something more interesting as well as impulsive behaviour. ASD is the need for routine and order. When ADHD wins, Iím the lively party character. When ASD wins, Iím the cold and calculating scientist."

Perfect!
Old 02-26-18, 07:51 PM

aralee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchie0109 View Post
I get a great idea to be more efficient , result in confusion, more stress and forget to do what I needed in the first place with routines.
That is the story of my life 😄. I can completely relate.
Old 02-26-18, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,043 Times in 11,632 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I don't know how I missed this thread last year, but it's awesome.

I totally confuse myself with conflicting symptoms.

When I first started learning about adhd 15 years ago when a friend suggested
my oldest granddaughter (then 5) might have it, I said OMG, that's so me!
I always knew there was something going on, but didn't have a clue what.

But the more I learned, the more I felt like it wasn't the complete answer, the
total answer. There was still something more going on that wasn't explained by
adhd.

Then my youngest granddaughter began the journey to her diagnosis of autism
and I found the rest of the puzzle. The puzzle pieces don't always fit together,
but they do make the picture of who I am.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (02-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-18, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

I'm all over the map and although it's very disruptive to my life, it's actually something I enjoy most of the time because it makes life a lot of fun! I love not having plans and being able to do whatever happens to pop into my mind. Now that I'm getting older and am supposed to act like an adult I am trying to find some kind of stability, because running from thing to thing like a headless chicken doesn't pay the bills, but the thought alone of having routines doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. They make me feel like I'm missing out on life and are ridiculously difficult to stick to.

I also love interacting with people and have never had a problem reading people, in fact I've been told that I'm good at it. On the other hand, I'm definitely not socially "normal". I get bored with small talk really fast and want to talk about something more exciting and have been told I'm intense, which people tend to enjoy most of the time, but it's not always such a great thing. If I'm working with someone else in the vicinity it's difficult for me to let them work in peace because I want to chat, which really annoys some more quiet types who want to work in peace. Classrooms are the bane of my existence and I constantly got in trouble in school for not being able to sit quietly.

All that aside, I do love science stuff and computers. I'm not good at the hard sciences because I am terrible at math and the theoretical stuff bores me to tears, but I still want to know how everything works and why on a higher level. I don't care about the maths behind it, but I love learning about everything from the vastness of the universe to the way the human brain functions. That, and it was love at first sight when I first laid my eyes on a Commodore 64 as a kid.

All in all, however, I don't feel like I fit the ASD symptoms all that well. I have never done any stimming, the only repetitive thing in my life is my inability to be repetitive and I really enjoy making eye contact with people. So yeah, I'm probably just a geeky ADHD lady.
Old 02-27-18, 04:00 PM

Thanked 25,043 Times in 11,632 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes change is scary and unwelcome. Sometimes it's exciting.

It may be okay if we're choosing to make a change,
and not-so-okay when changes are unexpected or forced on us.

I have 'facial blindness' (prosopognasia) so I have difficulty recognizing people,
even those I know very well if seen in an unexpected setting.
Maybe that influences my difficulty in 'reading' people.

I've always been a rocker, whether I'm seated or standing. This is a 'stim'.
And I have more sensory issues than you can shake a stick at.
Probably several other things that don't fit with an adhd diagnosis
but do fit with an autism diagnosis.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 02-27-18, 04:03 PM

Thanked 20,888 Times in 11,124 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

My eye focus sometimes is a problem to others. I look eye to eye unless they break the gaze.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-20-18, 01:34 PM
Jr Member

mind_in_orbit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinkansen1966 View Post
I have ADHD and ASD.

ADHD is a life of switching tasks in search of something more interesting as well as impulsive behaviour. ASD is the need for routine and order. When ADHD wins, Iím the lively party character. When ASD wins, Iím the cold and calculating scientist.
For me this almost couldn't be a worse description if you'd tried. I'm not actually diagnosed with ADHD, though. I know I have more mental deviations from the norm than most people I know with "pure" ASD, but I go back and forth about whether the other part is more consistent with ADHD or with mild bipolar-type traits. Though either way that doesn't make a difference, because I've read descriptions A LOT like yours when talking about bipolar vs. ASD as well.

With me, the ASD is clearly the "dominant" thing in that decides WHAT I am interested in, and my other mental conditions determine HOW I am interested in it, if that makes any sense. In other words, I am almost fully disinterested in the world of people (except to the extent that I want someone to share my imaginary ideas with), never cared to make friends as a child, etc. However, while many other scientists are prone to being systematic and reject flights of fancy, I'm very creative and pursue many hypotheticals that just "feel" right.

When the "other" (ADHD or hypomanic) side is strong, I don't become more extraverted, rather my inner dream world becomes more vivid and I end up pursuing umpteen ideas at once, thinking that if I read enough papers I can conjure the whole complexity of the cell come to life in living color in front of me. There's this elusive chase of the ultimate kernel of beauty within the universe, trying to seduce me. The subject matter I think about is intricate molecules and mathematical equations, but the approach is more like that of a poet or an artist than a scientist.

I've found that having both tendencies makes me feel like even much more of an outsider than either alone. ASD made me completely oblivious to the social world growing up, and then now as an adult I want friends, yet my mind works too fast and nobody seems interested in my flights of ideas. Other adults all seem too calm and focused on the here-and-now, mundane parts of their lives. Nobody else wants to behold the universe in a grain of sand or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to mind_in_orbit For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-20-18)