ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 02-03-11, 06:16 PM

3point8 is on a distinguished road
Re: adhd-i and reading people

Yep, I think there is truth to this concept. In fact, I think it can be a real benefit when dealing with others. On the other hand, sometimes I (unfairly) pre-classify others to the point where I can practically predict what they are going to say to me in conversation & that equates to total boredom.

I much prefer socializing and interacting with people who speak or act in unpredictable ways, to a point at least.....!!
Old 08-19-18, 11:38 AM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I'm also very good at that. I can read people just in a second.
Old 08-19-18, 09:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I'm not that good at "reading" people per se, but I have certain instincts (I call them) that drive me crazy sometimes. Mostly just about whether a person is essentially good or essentially bad or in between. Some have fooled me...like one of my BILs...thought he was okay, but it turned out he was a bad guy. But usually my instincts have served me well.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-18, 02:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

This is interesting, that some ADDers find they are better at reading people. Personally, I think that I am far less skilled st reading people than most others are, due to my inattention. I miss a lot of social cues and subtle body language because I get so distracted, either by my own racing thoughts, or by external stimuli like the activities of a pet or small child in the same room. I have had much social grief because people expected me to pick up on some subtle cue or message, and then became angry with me when I missed it and didn’t respond the way they expected me to.
Little Missy (08-20-18)
Old 08-20-18, 08:50 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I think I'm very good at reading people, but I don't think it has anything to do with my ADD. I've recently been doing a lot of research about empathetic people versus highly sensitive people, and while I do seem to notice these traits coming out a little bit more in the ADD Community, I don't think they are absolutely connected. That being said, I think I personally fall somewhere between the two, I have no problem empathizing with people, in fact most times I have more of an issue with feeling too much than not feeling enough. It can be both a gift and a curse, depending on the situation.
Old 08-20-18, 09:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough

I can do this to an extent but mostly only with people I’ve known for awhile.

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
Old 08-20-18, 09:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,476 Times in 11,514 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

If I am repulsed and the hair on my arms stands up I stay away.

I have not been wrong yet.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 08-20-18, 10:27 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

For me the most difficult part has been maintaining a relationship. For a long time I thought I was just overly paranoid, but after proving my concerns right time after time after time.. Let's just say I have been known to **** off my significant others because they can't hide anything from me. At least not as far as feelings and emotions are concerned. Again, gift and curse all rolled into one.
Little Missy (08-20-18)