ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 07-23-10, 05:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

AmyAcer is on a distinguished roadAmyAcer is on a distinguished road
Job Criteria

So I am planning to get a job (whenever my car gets fixed) and i was wondering if any of you pick and choose the jobs that are slower paced and less stressful? Or do you take any old job and hope for the best.

Like for instance i would never take a job that required me to do jobs quickly such as a fast food restaurant. I hated working those because i never grasped the concept of what i was suppose to be doing or my words would get mixed up... it was like ADD (focusing & memory) was worse than normal. That in turn gets me confused and i shut down. So i try to avoid them.

Now i did have a job at walmart a couple of years ago that was THE PERFECT job. I was a sales clerk and all i did was go around and straighten up everything. As long as i got it all done by the time i had to go home i was fine. I really want that job back. I left on good standards and am eligible for rehire.

But my question was... where do you draw the line between using ADHD as an excuse that the job wont work out.... and accepting reality that it wouldnt be something you could do when choosing a job?
Old 07-23-10, 05:44 PM
Contributor

insight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to behold
Re: Job Criteria

I think it is just plain smart to look for a job that is a "good fit" for you (not an excuse that a job won't work out for you because of your ADHD). For my son who has ADHD, a slow job is the kiss of death--he works best in a fast-paced environment with a lot of people around; it pays to know where you will function the best (and happiest). You might also want to consider what health insurance is offered with the job. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer jobs seem to offer health insurance, especially if you work part-time, but maybe you will get lucky. I don't know anything about the qualifications, but I have heard that Starbucks is a good company to work for, and I think they do offer benefits. Depending upon the location of the Starbucks though, they could get rushed at times.
Old 07-23-10, 05:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,264 Times in 13,227 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

wow what a question!

every time I've had this question I just trusted my instinct. I thought I wanted to teach (this was about 20 years ago) but I had this terrible feeling about it; well i was right;

it also has to do with how the atmosphere is and even how the building looks, etc.
and my current job, I would have never applied for this, then this opportunity popped up (because someone retired, it's a long story).

I kept thinking, I just don't think i can do this! but I really wanted to and I here I am 2.5 years later.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-10, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,484 Times in 12,362 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

When I was young my first full time job was in a restaurant. I split my time between prepping food for lunch and washing dishes - and helped the cook during the lunch rush. She had to keep track of everything, I just helped. That was a good fit for me.

Later, when my daughter was in school, I tried working as a sales clerk in a hobby shop and it was horrible. I was good at stocking shelves and dusting, but I was terrible at running the register. I spent a couple of years doing that after my daughter graduated from school.

I tried out for a job as a data entry processor at the post office and passed the test to work over the holidays, but I wasn't called back the next year. The noise and the fast pace were killer for me.

For the last 5 years I've been cleaning a beauty salon - just one day a week. It's perfect for me. I can go at my own pace and I don't have people interrupting me and making me forget what I was doing and whether I'd finished. There's no one there but me and I can listen to whatever I want to on the radio (often public radio) and I can do the different jobs in whatever order appeals to me and set my own pace. Some days I get done in under 4 hours, some days it takes me 5 hours. I wish I had a couple of other salons to clean, I could use the money. But putting myself out there and talking to the salon owners is really hard for me. My daughter helped me get this job.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me