ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 09-27-05, 05:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Scattered, I believe most of the struggle, is really figuring out who you truly are....and that goes double if you have a disorder!
Old 09-27-05, 05:35 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Scuro, especially if that disorder is ADHD, and as Sari Solden comments, your strengths are totally out of proportion to your weaknesses. It's hard to get a complete view of yourself when you inhabit both ends of the bell curve and hang out very little in the middle! Are you hyperactive or hypoactive; hyperfocused or spacey; responsible or irresponsible; gifted or deficit? To make matters worse I prefer things to be black or white!

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 09-27-05, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Uminchu has disabled reputation
Scuro: Awesome, fascinating stuff.

Scattered: Part of the problem is putting together the pieces of us, because so many of them fall outside what is "normal." But another problem is not having all the pieces. I am convinced about this lack of self awareness thing after comparing notes with my wife.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-05, 12:30 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
Scattered, I believe most of the struggle, is really figuring out who you truly are....and that goes double if you have a disorder!
Wandering back to the original topic -- this is why is seems very important to take more than a 5 minute appraisal of a person -- chances are as Uminchu said that we're already missing pieces of our own puzzle and frequently fall on opposing ends of the spectrum. It seems like real hubris to take one look at a person, sum them up and attach a label complete with treatment plan and prescription. No matter what the disorder is -- any person deserves to have their doctor take more than 5 minutes to get to know and diagnose them! Heck, if it's going to be done that way without any real time for a human connection, we'd be better off having a through evaluation by a computer program! IMHO!:soapbox:

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 09-29-05, 01:16 AM
Jr Member

heightstv is on a distinguished road
Sorry that happened to you.
The double checking that you do to make sure doors are locked , and that you turned off the lights or stove is different from OCD. You spaced out at that moment and need to recheck. I go thru the same thing with my shop. Not constantly but sometimes I truly not remember what I was doing at the moment i was suppose to be locking the door. Almost every time I have locked it...but theres been a few times I havent as well either. So it has been worthwhile to check again.
The doctor should have given you more time than that.....One of more important items is that you have had the same troubles thru your entire life.
As an adult, heres what was done for me.....I did have some records from when I was a kid....so those were looked at. Also spent an hour with a counselor and then refered from there to the psychirist. Within that time other factors discussed. they wanted to make sure these factors not the cause of problems. Drug or alcohol abuse. Depression in and of itself, or similar type things. It would seem to me that an hour would be the very minimum amount of time for a reasonable discussion. Glad you joined the list, and read some of our posts and see if you can relate. Then it might help you to put into words the difficulties that you are having and then go for another appt, preferably with another doctor.