ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-05-05, 12:15 AM

Thanked 10,193 Times in 3,205 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Well said. np

I wish you luck.
Old 10-05-05, 12:40 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Okay to prevent over exertion of members fingers here are hyper links to the Russell Barkley threads/post already done.......

Misc treatments
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...hlight=Barkley

General ADD talk
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...ussell+Barkley

Diagnosis and treatment

Newly Diagnosed ADD Adult ADD

Put me down as a lover of repatition....and re-statement....actaully I am trying to save some from having to retype information......besides I was enjoying the kid antics......

Quote:
Did you ever try jumping off the roof with a sheet as a parachute?

No but I did try to jump from the roof to a near by tree branch like I saw a squirl doing.....OUCH eyes crossing, certain body parts I never knew I had throbing....kid falling over Ugggggg......

There was a reason I was made a small child as if I had been a larger one the branch would have broken and hurt me worse......

My mom beat my buttttt once because she was driving home from work and saw me walking accross a near by highway and caught me getting so close to cars I actually reached out and touched them....do NOT try this bare handed.. well I would recommend NOT trying this at all .....causes bottom pain potientially fatal injuries.....especially in the near sighted......guess good distance judgement and luck.....is a genetic......a requirement for impulsive people survival!!!!!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-05-05, 07:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uminchu
Barkley's work, although to be honest I think he is a little too gloomy about the future outcomes of ADD kids.
Yeah he can seem gloomy on first glance. Thing is, a lot of ADHD people don't get the chance to see their ADHD peers on a daily basis. If they did, they might change their tune.

At school I see ADHD kids everyday and it's like a 20 car pile up on the interstate highway. One kid is so rude, disrespectful, and incapable of self editing her remarks...that I want to suspend her!...and I am her advocate. If you saw this everyday then the outcomes that Barkley talks about would be very easy to swallow.

Take a look at the current titles of threads on this board.
"Can't ever get things to work out".
"Lonely life'.
"31 and still no career".
"Where are the positives".

Watch the crashes on a daily basis and you will accept that this is truly an impairing disorder.
Old 10-05-05, 09:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Uminchu has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
Take a look at the current titles of threads on this board.
"Can't ever get things to work out".
"Lonely life'.
"31 and still no career".
"Where are the positives".

Watch the crashes on a daily basis and you will accept that this is truly an impairing disorder.
Well, people do come here to for support. I mean if everything was peachy most people wouldn't be here, right? That doesn't mean that their lives suck all the time.

Even so, I concede that many ADDers have lots of problems in their lives. But things aren't so bad for me -- that's one counterexample, assuming I do have ADD. And I honestly, and realistically, see great things in store for my son, who definitely does have ADD.
Old 10-05-05, 10:44 AM

lostinlspace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Even so, I concede that many ADDers have lots of problems in their lives. But things aren't so bad for me -- that's one counterexample, assuming I do have ADD. And I honestly, and realistically, see great things in store for my son, who definitely does have ADD.
Hi Uminchu,

Why are you going to see a psychiatrist then?

Everyone goes to the doctor when there is something wrong, not to be "the best you can be", unless you're Lance Armstrong or something. Please, no offense, we don't really know the person behind the post on these forums but I just don't get it.

I thought there needs to be significant impairment in more than one aspect of a person's life for ADD symptoms to be considered a disorder, otherwise it's just a trait, definetely not something to see a psychiatrist about.
Old 10-05-05, 11:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinlspace
Hi Uminchu,

Why are you going to see a psychiatrist then?
Things are going well -- but they could be going better. That's the nutshell, feel free to skip the rest.

If I had never heard of ADD, I would probably have happily gone through life. At least I have considered myself basically happy until and including now.

I think it is possible to be happy despite having problems.

I think it is possible to be successful by various measures used by society, and still need to improve.

I have written about my various failings at length and in detail in other threads, so I think it would be overkill to repeat them here. Suffice it to say, I think I need help in various "life areas."

Just one small case in point, though: It is currently 12:00 midnight my time. I have a job due 11:00am tomorrow morning. I estimate it will take me 10.5 more hours to finish it, give or take. Yet here I am, typing this post.

I know that others have more severe ADD than me, if that is what I have, and more severe ADD than my son. This is not a "one size fits all" disorder. Does that mean that I don't need to improve? No.

My son is doing great, and will do great -- with the interventions we have put in place, and with the knowledge we have of his strengths and weaknesses.
Old 10-05-05, 11:16 AM
Contributor

Jaycee has disabled reputation
I was never as hyperactive as my brother. He did the superman thing and then crawled back up on the roof with the cast on his leg. I always thought he was nuts. But I was a bit of the tree squirl and did plenty of time on top of the roof too, I just never tried jumping off.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 10-05-05, 11:39 AM

lostinlspace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Things are going well -- but they could be going better. That's the nutshell, feel free to skip the rest.

If I had never heard of ADD, I would probably have happily gone through life. At least I have considered myself basically happy until and including now.

I think it is possible to be happy despite having problems.

I think it is possible to be successful by various measures used by society, and still need to improve.
fair enough, I understand your point perfectly, I hope you understood mine. I'm not just pushing buttons although I am being pushed all kinds of buttons recently.

My problem is still, (nothing personal with you) to see and read examples of people wanting to start this "self improvement" phase. This is indeed something you know how it starts but don't know how it's going to end, and which involves taking medication, not only that, but putting your brain chemistry through what could be months of trial and error for the right one, right dosage, and dealing with side effects too.

I was diagnosed with ADD 8 years ago in the States, this doesn't seem to mean much here in Spain now, and I am currently putting a lot of thought into asking myself if I am seriously impaired to want to be treated. I think I definetely am but I am scared of the whole medication phase described previously, very much. There is a chance I'll get better but this can't be gratuitious for my body.

I have tried gathering as much literature as possible recently on ADD from both sides of the Atlantic and I can say that all the stuff I have found in Spain is more keen on the "Do we want everybody on amphetamines then?" theme and its consequences. My main problem, for example, with "Delivered to Distraction" so far into the book is that it leads everyone to think they have ADD, then specifies when it is a trait and not a disorder, but then goes on extensively about how medication can help both the trait and the disorder.

The more I read the more questions I have too but the only go to the doctor when something is wrong rule is kind of to live by, at least for me.
Old 10-05-05, 11:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinlspace
fair enough, I understand your point perfectly, I hope you understood mine. I'm not just pushing buttons although I am being pushed all kinds of buttons recently.
I think I understand you. I certainly don't take offence. It is a good question for focusing my thoughts.

The anti-meds sentiment is very strong here in Japan as well. Possibly stronger than in Europe. They are always ragging on Americans for popping a pill for everything (yet they think it's fine to take Chinese medicine till the cows come home -- but I digress).

For one thing, treatment does not necessarily need to be pharmaceutical. Even if it is, it does not have to be a stimulant. Additionally, I alreay self medicate with a stimulant -- namely, caffeine.

One non-medication thing I am seriously considering is hiring an assistant part-time to keep me on task. I will wait until I talk to the psych about other options, like coaching, before making my decision.

My son takes no meds, and I have no current plans to put him on meds, but we have changed his environment in a number of ways. And this "treatment" has been very effective.

I have already changed my own environment in many ways over the years to help me cope with my failings, mostly out of instinct I guess.
Old 10-05-05, 11:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee
But I was a bit of the tree squirl and did plenty of time on top of the roof too, I just never tried jumping off.
Me neither, except with a parachute!
Old 10-05-05, 01:24 PM
Contributor

Bean Delphiki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
You know what Barkley said...if there is a "wiff" of classic ADHD any where along the line....then combo.
This doesn't seem to be a popular opinion with some people, but I'm not at all convinced by Barkley's theories. Too many people just plain don't fit his idea of "Inattentive type," so according to him, they're combo...even if the amount of impulsivity/hyperactivity they've expressed in their lifetime has been minimal. To me, that seems to muddy how impulsivity can be impairing. I mean, sure, I've done impulsive things in my life...but that doesn't make me any different from anyone else, and it CERTAINLY doesn't make me combined type.

In response to the OP: I'd say that I tried to fly, but I actually was trying to do a swan dive...off the coffee table.

Update: Currently dealing with a repetitive strain injury [RSI] to my hands/wrists/arms. I may not reply immediately (or at all) because typing is difficult and painful some days. If you'd like me to see something or reply, please email and be patient with me.

Current avatar made by user mutantjedibauer on Livejournal.com
Old 10-05-05, 01:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
I understand what Barkley is trying to accomplish, but his redefinition of combo is bound to cause lots of confusion. Maybe he should have invented a new group to house the non-SCT ADHD-I's
Old 10-05-05, 01:56 PM

Thanked 10,193 Times in 3,205 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
SCT is, to the best of my knowledge, still a theoretical construct.

If that is the case, then he isn't going to go beyond the current criteria until he has established those data.

Trying to apply ongoing research/theory to the current accepted standard of practice simply doesn't fit.

In my opinion, Russ Barkley is the #1 most respected researcher among clinicians.

He 's the main one I hear people qoute at workshops/conferences and hes' the one most clinicians gravitate towards in terms of theoretical viewpoint.

Several weeks ago, I had the opportunity to see a presentation on ADHD by a neurodevelopmental pediatrician from the Philadelphia area.

She was very impressive in terms of her knowledge and experience,as well as the people she's trained with.

For example, she paid out of pocket to take Joe Biederman's (another well respected researcher) ADHD course at Harvard.

Without question, she qouted Russ more than any other researcher.

There's a reason for that.

The truth is, most mainstream/top name researchers have much in common theoretically (I'm not talking SCT here).

I'm referring to ADHD as a disorder of self-regulation/inhibition.

That means something to me as a clinician.
Old 10-05-05, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashTheHound
I understand what Barkley is trying to accomplish, but his redefinition of combo is bound to cause lots of confusion. Maybe he should have invented a new group to house the non-SCT ADHD-I's
How I find this SCT concept useful -- my "take home message" -- is that of this group he has found, very few react favorably to stimulant medications. So if I thought I fit into that group, I would not pursue that avenue as actively as if I did not think I fit into that group.
Old 10-05-05, 02:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23
SCT is, to the best of my knowledge, still a theoretical construct.

If that is the case, then he isn't going to go beyond the current criteria until he has established those data.

Trying to apply ongoing research/theory to the current accepted standard of practice simply doesn't fit.
That's the problem. Some people on this board were quoting Barkley's ideas on SCT and ADHD-I as though they were the widely accepted norm.. had me thinking I was SCT for awhile, meaning there wasn't much information on my condition and how to treat it. When I read Barkley in context, then I understood what he was saying, and I got a bit angry that people were passing off ADHD theory as accepted fact, and leaving out some important bits.