ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-05-05, 02:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uminchu
How I find this SCT concept useful -- my "take home message" -- is that of this group he has found, very few react favorably to stimulant medications. So if I thought I fit into that group, I would not pursue that avenue as actively as if I did not think I fit into that group.
My experience was I got diagnosed ADHD inattentive according to the DSM, I was starting medication with limited initial success. I came on here and started reading posts that were saying that ADHD-I is really a different disorder known as SCT, and SCT doesn't tend to respond well to medication. Because of that, I was near throwing in the towel and giving up hope on treatment.

Then I learned what Barkley actually said-- Normally you need to meet 6 of the hyperactive/impulsive criteria to be labelled combined, but he said you should be combined if you only exhibit maybe 3. I don't have 6, but I do have maybe 4, so I would be a Barkley "combined". After that revelation, my outlook improved, and I gave other medication and doses a try to better success.

So that's why I'm leary of the discussion of these Barkley theories. I just want to see that they are discussed in the proper context so nobody else falls into the same pitfall I did.
Old 10-05-05, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Uminchu has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashTheHound
So that's why I'm leary of the discussion of these Barkley theories. I just want to see that they are discussed in the proper context so nobody else falls into the same pitfall I did.
I see what you mean. I think I will be diagnosed as inattentive by the DSM, but will keep an open mind about stimulants -- specifically, I will not give up if the first try doesn't yield results.

By the way, this is not to say that I have decided that I want meds at all. Having a clear head would be nice, but it's my behavior that I really want to improve, and if coaching and the like is enough for that, then cool.
Old 10-05-05, 04:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Delphiki
Too many people just plain don't fit his idea of "Inattentive type,"

It's not about the people who don't fit the inattentive type category. It's about the true inattentive type being quantativly different from classic adhd/combo. They are so different that they are almost polar opposites and need to be separated for different treatment then classic adhd or combo...or those with a "wiff" of hyperactivity.

And it's not like stimulants don't work for the true inattentive subtype of ADHD. Clinically they work for 1/4 of this group and over 1/2 receive some benefit. You just don't see the eye popping success rate of 92% that classic adhders have with meds.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-05, 01:48 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,402 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Although I am not the super educated person of fansy talk but I have always wondered if people who have from ADD inattentive type and those who are hyper-impulsive aren't chemicially different.

In other wards both types of ADD may in deed effect the same neorotrasmitters but in machinaically different ways.

Inattentive-

tunes out in conversation
distracted by internal stumli
under motivated -unable to get task started
day dreamer
tends to be introverted or seen as shy

Impulsive:

takes overconversation
distracted by external stumli
starts too many projects....finshes few
flight of ideas
tends to be talktive out going

I see it as all these are the same but different......

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-06-05, 03:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Tammy, in my book you have the best insight into ADD of anyone I have seen. You're awesome!

But now you have me worried because I fit both your lists!
Old 10-06-05, 07:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
If you're both, you're combined.

And Tammy, I'm not even sure if Barkley can answer your question. They look to be different but why...I think we will find that out in the next decade or so.
Old 10-06-05, 09:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
If you're both, you're combined.
I am starting to think you are right.

But if you just go by the DSM-IV, I'd be inattentive, because I meet maybe 2 of the hyper-impulsive criteria as written. When I was younger I met more, but I've learned to control myself... or maybe just slowed down with age.
Old 10-06-05, 03:05 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,402 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
They look to be different but why

Man is that the million dollar question.....It seems as if all the ADD types affect the same brain area but the difference seems to come from the way they affect these areas......I mean inattentive folks are being as distracted as us hyper both are unable to maintain focus on boring task or long conversations (or post) but the way the distractions occur seem almost opposite..inattentive is usually discribed as distractions coming from internal stumli and impulsive varieties are usually distracted by external stuff..both create inattention but in almost opposite ways....

I also see in my self the older I get the more I fall into a combined traits...as I child I had almost strickly impulsive hyper ADHD but the further I get into my adult years the more I seem to be gathering inattentive traits not previously experienced in childhood, teen or young adult...so I wonder if the changes in my ADHD are due to my "coping abilities" or me aging brain!!!!!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook