ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-28-17, 03:45 AM

pearllilac is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Kindergarten Teacher said My Daughter Cannot Attend Primary School On Time

My daughter (5 years old) is suppoed to attend primary school next year but recently we had a talk with her kindergarten teacher and she told us that my daughter symptoms of ADHD is so serious that she does not recommend that she attends primary school on time. She suggested us to delay 1 year and train her at home so that she might be ready to attend 1 year after.

She's only 5 years old so no way to confirm that she's real ADHD (although her behavior apprently shows that she is and it's quite serious ADHD). Recently we were trying to send her to normal piano classes, hoping it could be some kind of music therapy for her, but after the first 5 or 6 classes, she cannot catch up, and everyday it's a war to get her to practice playing the piano. She cannot focus on it even for 5 mins, no matter how hard I try, motivate her by promising to let her play or watch TV after practicing; threatening her that she will be sent to naughty chair; or even yelling at her after I lose control myself... Nothing helps.

She has some bi-polar symptoms as well so she will scream and cry and run away whenever I try to make her do something that is a little bit brain power demanding. It's really frustrating. Even for very simple missions, like draw a simple drawing on the paper, I have to speak to her and draw her attention back every 10 - 15 seconds. And when I speak to her, she consistently lose her attention and I have to hold her face, kiss her and tell her I love her, please pay attention to what mommy says, then she will understand what I'm talking about. Also, memory is quite bad. I taught her to remember Notes (do, re, mi, etc) on the staff for almost one week, and still, she cannot sing them out when looking at the staff, consistently forget what this note stands for, and what that note stands for... she's already 5 years old...

Now I'm super worried and I'm wondering what kind of therapy is the best suit for her? Any suggestions?

I thought of putting her on medicine as well, but 5 years old is too young for medicine, is it? I know there are a lot of side effects of taking medicine, but what my daughter experiences at school (social isolation, teacher's ignorance and consistent refusal no matter what game other kids are playing) are seriously damaging her self esteem. I really want to find a way to help her. Thanks a lot and I'll deeply appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by namazu; 11-28-17 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Added some line breaks for easier reading.
Old 11-28-17, 04:41 AM
Contributor

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Kindergarten Teacher said My Daughter Cannot Attend Primary School On Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearllilac View Post
My daughter (5 years old) is suppoed to attend primary school next year but recently we had a talk with her kindergarten teacher and she told us that my daughter symptoms of ADHD is so serious that she does not recommend that she attends primary school on time. She suggested us to delay 1 year and train her at home so that she might be ready to attend 1 year after.

She's only 5 years old so no way to confirm that she's real ADHD (although her behavior apprently shows that she is and it's quite serious ADHD). Recently we were trying to send her to normal piano classes, hoping it could be some kind of music therapy for her, but after the first 5 or 6 classes, she cannot catch up, and everyday it's a war to get her to practice playing the piano. She cannot focus on it even for 5 mins, no matter how hard I try, motivate her by promising to let her play or watch TV after practicing; threatening her that she will be sent to naughty chair; or even yelling at her after I lose control myself... Nothing helps.

She has some bi-polar symptoms as well so she will scream and cry and run away whenever I try to make her do something that is a little bit brain power demanding. It's really frustrating. Even for very simple missions, like draw a simple drawing on the paper, I have to speak to her and draw her attention back every 10 - 15 seconds. And when I speak to her, she consistently lose her attention and I have to hold her face, kiss her and tell her I love her, please pay attention to what mommy says, then she will understand what I'm talking about. Also, memory is quite bad. I taught her to remember Notes (do, re, mi, etc) on the staff for almost one week, and still, she cannot sing them out when looking at the staff, consistently forget what this note stands for, and what that note stands for... she's already 5 years old...

Now I'm super worried and I'm wondering what kind of therapy is the best suit for her? Any suggestions?

I thought of putting her on medicine as well, but 5 years old is too young for medicine, is it? I know there are a lot of side effects of taking medicine, but what my daughter experiences at school (social isolation, teacher's ignorance and consistent refusal no matter what game other kids are playing) are seriously damaging her self esteem. I really want to find a way to help her. Thanks a lot and I'll deeply appreciate any suggestions.
I think you can take your daughter to a psychologist, maybe they can figure out a way without medicine cognitive therapy etc. or a temporary solution.
Normally i could suggest you to put her on medicine without doubt but she is too little. Just 5 years old i guess it is too early for starting medicine.
Maybe you can ask opinion from a psychatrist , is it ok to put a 5year old girl on medicine , if they think it is safe, you can try and see what happens.
Old 11-28-17, 05:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would get her evaluated.My son started meds when he was 4 and yes, he was an extreme case but they really saved his life.There is a sticky about it in childrens' diagnosis if you want to read about it. He is 21 now and about to graduated with his associates degree and things are really looking good for his future.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-28-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-17, 09:23 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

5 is not too young for medicine.

I would take the teachers advice. It has been said, and I agree with it, that ADHD kids are 30% more immature than their peers. So that would put her at age 3 mentally, that could cause a lot of problems in school. At age 3 my daughter was biting other kids when she got angry. I put her in a Montessori school and that helped. However, when I signed her up for Kindergarten they did evaluate everyone, and she was allowed to go to school. But I would have understood if they didn't allow her to.

Now she is in 3rd grade and VERY behind. I have a meeting in two weeks to talk about putting her in special classes. Maybe an extra year would have helped her. That might still be an option now as well.

Make an appointment with a doctor for her.
Old 11-29-17, 07:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145739
Here is the thread I was talking about.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.