ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-18, 11:13 AM

asalem is on a distinguished road
What was your behavior in your youngest years?

I have ADHD, the very hyper version. I am very restless and hyper. I talk fast and I like everything fast. I am also in a rush to do things and am never calm. This bothers my wife but she is a very patient women. I have noticed my 7 month son reflects me alot.

I keep being told I was very calm when I was a child all throughout my teen years. I never showed any signs of ADHD until adulthood, just ADD symptoms. My mom says I was so quiet and calm as a kids. She would just leave me alone and I wouldn't cry. I was very low maintenance. I don't know what happened to me lol

What was your behavior as in your youngest years? Did you change in behavior throughout your life?
Old 09-19-18, 12:11 PM

Thanked 34,110 Times in 15,441 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What was your behavior in your youngest years?

i was hyperactive as a child, both physically and mentally. i was rather "scattered"...one of my earliest memories of another parent giving me a hard time was when my friend's mum called me scatterbrained. i never had whatever i was supposed to have for the situation. and i was rarely doing what i was supposed to be doing. my least favourite question in the world as a child was "what are you supposed to be doing right now?" and i always knew...whatever i was actually doing, was NOT was i was supposed to be doing; but i never knew what i *was* supposed to be doing.

ugh...primary school sucked for me.
Old 09-20-18, 08:43 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,632 Times in 15,113 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My teachers labeled me a "social butterfly" which means "talks to much". Up and down in my seat and hyperactive. The mental hyperactivity didnt come til later.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-18, 11:42 AM

asalem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
My teachers labeled me a "social butterfly" which means "talks to much". Up and down in my seat and hyperactive. The mental hyperactivity didnt come til later.
I was the opposite. I was quiet and shy. I still am but I am more social now than I was. I have a feeling people know I have some mental deficiency as I can from their facial expression that they see something off in me. It could my insecurities talking too but I see it more often now. I don't care anymore what people think.I am just going to be myself from now.

Why do you think I became more hyper in my adulthood? I thought they symptoms is supposed to slowly fade away. I need to more research on this. I am trying to figure myself out looooool
Old 09-20-18, 10:01 PM
Contributor

Zoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to behold

My 'inattentive predominant' symptoms (from a few DSM versions ago) have been pretty consistent. My mom told me that at age 2 she'd be pushing me in my stroller and I'd lean out and really try to take the wheels apart. The earliest incident I can remember was one morning when I walked to kindergarten like any other day. (It was a simpler time....) Somehow I ended up spacing out and a teacher had to come out and remind me that I was supposed to be inside instead of on the sidewalk, concentrating on bouncing a rubber ball against a door of the school. Just totally inside my own head and completely divorced from reality.

In classes where I had no interest (English, History, Algebra) I was a squillion miles away and couldn't follow to save my life. In interesting classes (Science, Geometry, Auto Shop) I was on fire and frequently several steps ahead. Needless to say my school performance was spotty at best.

I was never able to form more than one friendship at a time. I could talk to people without much issue, but my mental/emotional bandwidth could only manage one relationship at a time. And relationships were really centered around common interests - humanity-type interaction was pretty limited. Didn't have a girlfriend until college. So I'd say emotional development was clearly delayed. To this day I have no friends that I developed on my own, though I'm much better at really relating to my wife's friends who are very much mine too.

The common thread throughout is living in my head, and the goings on in there are really important.

It's important to note that I was diagnosed in my 50's when my son was diagnosed (and his development was eerily like my own.) I had no prior inkling there was a problem that needed to be dealt with. Not a clue. No idea what ADHD even was. I'm still learning how to live in an NT world.

And asalem, I still get that occasional vibe from others, like people think I'm a suspiciously imperfect replica of a normal human. Even people who know me, but not well. I guess the people who know me well have adapted.

It's a process.

Interesting to see the variety of responses here. You'd hardly think we all had the same disorder. From my perspective, ADHD is a relatively minor influence that seeps into every crevice of our life and subtly alters all of it, reflecting off our genetics, personality, experiences, etc. But that's probably not a good description for those with the more hyper forms. It still gets everywhere and effects everything, but for them it's bigger and bolder. Everyone has their own unique story.

Best of Luck,
ZD

If ADHD was more prevalent it would be "normal". It would shape all of society, just as it shapes our individual lives now.

Those with an excessive need for order, consistency and timeliness would face a lifelong struggle. Most of us "normals" would wonder why they don't lighten up and be more open to life's ebb and flow.

"Normal" is a meaningless concept. Reality is what it is. How we choose to deal with it is what defines us.
Old 09-20-18, 10:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

My behavior at home was to try to fit in with my brother and sister some of the time. If they wanted to play, I played. When they got boisterous, I think I emulated them somewhat. But I was shy and quiet for the most part. Especially outside the home. Then I'd wander off if taken shopping. I didn't have friends, really...just my siblings. When in first grade, the family moved. We lived in a number of different places for the next six years. Poverty followed us. We seldom saw our relatives. We'd always go to church, where I'd stay quiet and bored. School bored me sometimes, but I always had my daydreams.
Old 09-20-18, 11:45 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,332 Times in 7,386 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

When, I was young, I was wide open and full of energy, hyper, bored or busy. I spent most of it on athletics and being full of myself. I did many dumb, illegal, dangerous things and some that were just wrong for my constant need of mental stimulation, mostly for thrill and my amusement.

Around age 18 my reality of life changed and so did I. Everything used to be exciting and about me and my amusement. Now, it was about feeling guilty, irresponsible and trying to catch up with my peers. I became much more introverted and so did my energy. It went from physical to mental.

My body used to never stop as a kid and now it’s my brain as an adult.
Old 09-21-18, 01:16 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

When i was young , i was hyperactive
Later low self esteem,depression etc
Made me much more impulsive, inattentive

Since i solved anxiety and self-esteem problem
I am becoming more hyperactive again

I started freerunning/parkour again

It feels like a source of energy needs to flow

If it is loop, it becomes like my past
If it flows out, hyper

Ofc those are only my feelings

Air Nomad Guru Laghima
Old 09-21-18, 06:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

thorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to all

As a child I was very active and impulsive. I have countless scars from those years as I was always having accidents. I got hurt so often that once when my parent's brought me to the ER child protective services were called on suspicion of abuse. Of course there was no abuse. I was just so active, clumsy and impulsive

At school I never paid much attention to anything. It took me a long time to be able to read but when I finally mastered it I breezed to the top of the class.

I got hooked on computer games as soon as I tried them. Even now in my mid thirties I have to take care to stay away from them.
Old 09-21-18, 06:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalem View Post
I keep being told I was very calm when I was a child all throughout my teen years. I never showed any signs of ADHD until adulthood, just ADD symptoms.
Well, what's your recollection of your childhood symptoms?

I was classic ADHD as a kid. As an adult, the hyperactivity part is more mental than outward, though I still fidget quite a bit. And of course, I'm still mentally inattentive.