ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-09-17, 04:45 PM

heythere999 will become famous soon enough
How in the world do I convince my psychiatrist

Hey guys, made a topic a few months ago about wanting not to increase my dosage, but to have it prescribed for twice a day. I currently take 30 mg, regular Adderall that is supposed to last 4-5 hours.

The thing is, that's too little for me. Aside from that little time slot throughout my day where I'm on adderall, I am not productive. The few times I've started my day with adderall, I've *gasped* cleaned my room, checked my emails, made a to-do list, etc.

When I'm not on it, I do ****ing nothing. Which is annoying.

I went to my psychiatrist and I told him exactly what I've been doing: some days I take it once, some days twice, and maybe once a week I don't take it at all because I'm scared to build tolerance.

He does this weird thing where he writes "twice a day" on the instructions, but it's really meant for once a day? He wanted to prescribe me 100 pills for 3 months, but he said "I'm worried your pharmacy/insurance will think there's something fishy about that, ask them if that's a concern" so he just prescribed me for 90 for 3 months this time. In general though my psychiatrist is very chill and understanding, I just think he doesn't want calls from insurance or what-have-you (so I'm totally gonna start taking it twice a day as a regular thing).

Should I ask my pharmacy (it's Walgreens) if they or my insurance will be concerned if I double the amount I take? Because I seriously need it once a day is NOT enough.
Old 08-09-17, 10:18 PM

Minkyboodle86 is on a distinguished road
Re: How in the world do I convince my psychiatrist

You can ask him to prescribe you an extended release and if that doesn't help with it becoming ineffective through the day you can ask for an additional instant release to take as the other wears off. Walgreens doesn't give a **** about your prescription- insurance is the one calling the shots and you cannot have a 90 day supply each month. You can however have an extended and instant release as separate prescriptions. It will be for your doctor to decide if they think it would be helpful, but you may be doing a lot of re-evaluating for a correct dosage, but worth it if you're struggling now anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minkyboodle86 For This Useful Post:
wonderboy (08-13-17)
Old 08-10-17, 03:47 AM

Oh no it's 90 pills for 3 months. I want that doubled since 4-5 hours a day is too little
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-17, 11:40 AM

CharlesH will become famous soon enough

I'm not a medical professional, but as I understand it, 60 mg/day is within prescribing norms. I'm assuming that you're currently prescribed IR? Your doctor is in charge of determining what's medically appropriate for you, and your insurance is in charge of deciding whether to financially cover it. Walgreens doesn't make those decisions. Generic IR Adderall is relatively cheap, so I don't think insurance should have an issue with it. Even without insurance, it's less than $1/pill.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
wonderboy (08-13-17)
Old 08-11-17, 06:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,327 Times in 12,770 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Does your doctor want you to take it 1,2 or 3 times a day? If its once then you have a three month rx, twice, a month and a half and three times a day, then you have a months worth. I take my xr 4 times a day due to absorption issues but I have to have a script for one xr three times a day cause 90 is the max a month, and once for once a day.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 08-12-17, 05:16 PM

The thing is on my prescription, it says "take twice a day" but he expects me to, on average, take it once a day. Doesn't this mean that if I actually want to take it twice a day that there's really nothing to worry about?
Old 08-13-17, 12:34 AM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by heythere999 View Post
The thing is on my prescription, it says "take twice a day" but he expects me to, on average, take it once a day. Doesn't this mean that if I actually want to take it twice a day that there's really nothing to worry about?
If this is what he actually said, it does not make any sense to me…
Old 08-13-17, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,038 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Just bring this to his attention.

"Hey, you say I'm to take two pills a day, but the 90-day prescription only allows me to take one pill a day."

He may have simply spaced out on this ... Just politely point out the contradiction and problem and see what he says ...

Sometimes doctors can space out.

Tone
Old 08-12-17, 11:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

The max is really three times a day. That is what I'm prescribed and half the time I only take it once a day. At work though usually it's twice. I have Medicaid, you really should have no problem...
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”