ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-17, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,145 Times in 5,387 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's like the WHOLE WORLD forgot about us and doesn't want to help

Thank all that is good in the world for Big Pharma...they make the medications that are actually proven to work...especially because nothing else has ever been proven to do so, outside of daily therapy.

And yes, dextroamphetamine in particular has been shown to change brain structures...in a way that brings them closer to that which is normative.

You can believe ADHD meds regress children with ADHD if you want to. I'd suggest you find peer-reviewed, verified clinical data in support of your position before making a decision which could have undesired outcomes for your children.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 08-07-17, 08:53 PM

Thanked 23,685 Times in 10,950 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I was very unsure about medications when I joined this forum many years ago.
But seeing videos by Dr. Russell Barkley discussing the risks to those with adhd
who are not medicated showed me a lot about considering risk vs benefit.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-07-17)
Old 08-08-17, 07:41 PM

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

ADHD medication has a half life of around six hours meaning it is out of your system completely within 12 hours. When medication wears off it is noticible even in adults. When people stop medication they experience fatigue and more challenging symptoms for a few days while their body adjusts to being without medication.

When my kids were young I was very anti medication. It scared me. Knowing what I know now about how ADHD ruins lives there is no question for me that medication is the safer route. Educate yourself about ADHD. it's often talked about as if it is little more than a nuisance along with the nuisance children that come with it.

All four of you have ADHD, you owe it to yourself and your children to seek out the best information you can. if you are wrong, you're wrong for four. You only pay the consequences of one of those lives.

My children pay the consequence for my former ignorance and I don't wish that guilt on anyone.

Narratives of overly active healthy children being "drugged" have an agenda attached to that ever so wholesome packaging. ADHD is not a benign disorder, lives truly get ruined. These narratives ignore this. Don't take my word for it the science is sound, it's immaculately done. Check it out for yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-08-17), Lunacie (08-08-17)
Sponsored Links