ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-17, 08:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

Swissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really nice
Overwhelmed by Music

Anyone feel overwhelmed by certain songs, even ones you have no history with? Recently a song triggered something in me, like extreme longing for something I lost and I don't know what it is. There have been times I have had to avoid certain music all together because I can barely handle what it does to me. I can't even pinpoint the exact feelings or emotions... like that word that gets stuck at the tip of your tongue. Almost as if I remember a past life and people I didn't want to leave and I miss it. Which is weird because I don't miss people in this life when we are apart. It puts me in a funk for days. Is this a thing or am I just strange?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-13-17), Little Missy (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 11:21 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,027 Times in 5,841 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overwhelmed by Music

Music can also have an overwhelming effect on me. Some music can trigger OCD thoughts, worries and concerns and is very depressing to me.

Other types of music can make me so overly excited or stimulated, I can feel my adrenaline pounding to the beat. It makes me feel so overly confident and I am much more prone to taking risks. Driving is when this usually becomes a problem now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-13-17), Swissy (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 11:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,132 Times in 9,694 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

ohh, music. The highest of highs, the lowest of lows. Feeling so full I could burst and feeling there is nothing left.

I LOVE it.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-13-17), Swissy (08-13-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-17, 11:56 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,027 Times in 5,841 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
ohh, music. The highest of highs, the lowest of lows. Feeling so full I could burst and feeling there is nothing left.

I LOVE it.
My experience exactly!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-13-17), Swissy (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 12:13 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even care if the lows and the emptiness of nothing left are extreme. I'll take more. Because it is music. It feeds my soul.

Thank God LOL has the XM blasting here all day. LOUD.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-13-17), Swissy (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 01:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really nice

I am with you, music saved my life when I was young (cliche, I know). the highs are definitely worth the lows. But this recent experience was strange in that the song was not tied to any point of my life and had no significance to me. I am still not quite right from my reaction and it has been a couple days. I feel like I was up crying all night (I was not), fatigued, foggy, sort of out of phase with the world. I don't think I like this, not even a little bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
I am with you, music saved my life when I was young (cliche, I know). the highs are definitely worth the lows. But this recent experience was strange in that the song was not tied to any point of my life and had no significance to me. I am still not quite right from my reaction and it has been a couple days. I feel like I was up crying all night (I was not), fatigued, foggy, sort of out of phase with the world. I don't think I like this, not even a little bit.
Could be that it hit a chord deep within you. It happens to me even with no significance, etc. A sort of musically induced fugue of sorts perhaps. I don't really know.

I hope you feel better

The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-13-17)
Old 08-15-17, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

I checked with family and this music wasn't played by anyone I was around as a baby. Maybe it's a sort of synesthesia... I paint weird pictures by listening to music and painting the images the sounds evoke.