ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-12-14, 10:57 PM
Jr Member

nielgeogylime is on a distinguished road
20 mg adderall is lasting me 2.5 hours. 120 mg / day???

I'm diagnosed with ADHD-pi. I've been on Adderall seven days now. It's A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. for my brain. I've never felt calm on the inside like this. I can connect with my 1 year old without getting distracted every 15 seconds by something (tears me up! this is amazing medicine!) side effects lasted only the first 2-4 days.

I'm taking 20mg pills of generic (barr) adderall IR, my dr prescribed me two per day. I'm posting here before I talk to my dr's office, just to get feedback on what I should ask for. This dr is new to me, not much trust built yet. I want to know what I want going in.

For the last four days, the first dose kicks in after 30 minutes and wears off 2.5 hours after I took it. During the last 10 minutes of that time I notice myself getting spacey, making distracted mistakes, and hyperfocusing.

So I take my second dose, which kicks in smoothly and lasts 2.5 hours before wearing off.

The thing is, my day is pretty long. My ideal would be to have coverage available for 15 hours! Some days, I would be fine with 9. At this rate, a 15 hour day would be a 120mg dosage. That sounds so high to me!! Right?!

My questions are:
Any chance I can get similar effects on 10mg?
Do any of you take 20 mg every 2.5 - 3 hours? I'm wondering how unusual my experience is? Does anybody take 120 mg / day?

Any feedback or ideas is appreciated! thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to nielgeogylime For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (06-25-14)
Old 01-13-14, 01:02 AM

BlackWarrior is on a distinguished road
Re: 20 mg adderall is lasting me 2.5 hours. 120 mg / day???

1. Yes
2. Yes, only 60mg a day. Not a lot of docs will prescribe over 60mg. At least, not that I know of.

Try this, take a tums with your adderall and the effects should last a bit longer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackWarrior For This Useful Post:
Jaydah (01-15-14), nielgeogylime (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 01:22 AM

cmjchris13 is on a distinguished road

If your looking for a longer lasting dose of adderall id go to your doctor and switch to Adderall XR because its supposed to last about 8 hours. You can get similar effects on 10mg IR though, if not id switch to XR.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmjchris13 For This Useful Post:
nielgeogylime (01-13-14), psychopathetic (01-14-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 12:35 PM
Contributor

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWarrior View Post
1. Yes
2. Yes, only 60mg a day. Not a lot of docs will prescribe over 60mg. At least, not that I know of.

Try this, take a tums with your adderall and the effects should last a bit longer.
try baking soda, even better than tums for potentiation. Also take 300mg magnesium every night and some Delsym to keep tolerance at bay.
The Following User Says Thank You to FocusPocus10 For This Useful Post:
nielgeogylime (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 01:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

agirlandherdogs will become famous soon enough

I was getting the same results, only with the 20mgs. However I am not sure by your post if you have been on other medications in the past and are just now trying Adderall or if this is your first go at treatment. I have been on treatments for ADHD since 1983 so there have been dose changes, medication changes, times of no medication (don't do that!) ... I'm interested to hear what your doctor says. I'm currently waiting to hear back from a new doctor and a new way of doing things with the Mayo Clinic... Good Luck ...
The Following User Says Thank You to agirlandherdogs For This Useful Post:
nielgeogylime (01-13-14)
Old 01-14-14, 06:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,327 Times in 12,770 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

IR isnt meant to last more than 4 hours so if you are awake and need more than 8 hours od productive functioning than 2 20mg's are not going to cut it. I take adderall xr 3 times a day. Now I know that the manufacturer states that its supposed to last 6-8 hours but thats bull sh*t. For me I am lucky if I get 5. I take it 2 times a day dosed just like if it was an ir and it works well.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
nielgeogylime (01-16-14)
Old 01-14-14, 04:57 PM

bfuddled has a spectacular aura aboutbfuddled has a spectacular aura about

I've got the same problem as you, it works GREAT, for about 2-3 hours. My day is probably 12-16 hours long (I'm a stay at home mom with 4 kids and I go to school full time on top of it). I do 30mg IR 2x a day, but with only 2-3 hrs of real effectiveness, I really only get about 6 hours that it works. I've tried splitting the meds and doing only 10-15mg at a time, but it really doesn't work very well, so it's either go for 12 or so hours of crappy coverage (where it's only working a little bit), or have 6 hours of coverage and muddle thru the rest of the day.

I figure that to really cover my entire day, I'd need 150-180mg of the IR, but I don't know if there's any doctor that would write for that. The docs I've seen will only write for 60mg a day. I've been hesitant to push for more or search around for another doc because I'm afraid they'll think I'm a druggie.
The Following User Says Thank You to bfuddled For This Useful Post:
nielgeogylime (01-16-14)
Old 01-16-14, 07:49 PM

thething313 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuddled View Post
I've got the same problem as you, it works GREAT, for about 2-3 hours. My day is probably 12-16 hours long (I'm a stay at home mom with 4 kids and I go to school full time on top of it). I do 30mg IR 2x a day, but with only 2-3 hrs of real effectiveness, I really only get about 6 hours that it works. I've tried splitting the meds and doing only 10-15mg at a time, but it really doesn't work very well, so it's either go for 12 or so hours of crappy coverage (where it's only working a little bit), or have 6 hours of coverage and muddle thru the rest of the day.

I figure that to really cover my entire day, I'd need 150-180mg of the IR, but I don't know if there's any doctor that would write for that. The docs I've seen will only write for 60mg a day. I've been hesitant to push for more or search around for another doc because I'm afraid they'll think I'm a druggie.
I'm having literally the same experience as you.

I have an apt with my pdoc in about a month, where I plan to bring up the thought of raising the dose or possibly (not to sure on this) adding a low dose of concerta at the start of the day in order to "raise the baseline" so to speak, by its inhibition of DAT and NET. We had previously discussed the possibility of adding Wellbutrin (also inhibits DAT, NET. Also inhibits the liver enzyme that breaks down adderall. As a result Adderall would remain in your system for longer, but has a few other effects that I am not fond of), so that is another option. I would rather stay away from Wellbutrin if at all possible
The Following User Says Thank You to thething313 For This Useful Post:
nielgeogylime (01-17-14)
Old 01-17-14, 12:08 AM
Jr Member

nielgeogylime is on a distinguished road

Okay so I have found that for me, if i start with 20mg, about 2.5 hours later when it starts wearing off, I can keep it going effectively by taking half of my next pill. Have y'all tried that?

So, with 20mg then 10 and then 10, I'm getting fantastic coverage from 9-4. I'm planning to ask my Dr at the end of this month if he can prescribe me just 20mg more per day, to stretch my day from 7 to (10 or )13 hours. Bfuddled, I'm like you, 12-16 hrs sounds normal. So fingers crossed that my Dr can help me.

I'm really anxious about becoming tolerant, and I have started taking magnesium just in case it helps. Thank you for responding this really gives me confidence to ask my Dr.
Old 01-17-14, 05:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,327 Times in 12,770 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have always found that taking multiple doses that total the same overall amount works better than 1 or 2 larger doses. I used to take 30mg xr twice a day but it works much better for me to take 20mg 3 times a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielgeogylime View Post
Okay so I have found that for me, if i start with 20mg, about 2.5 hours later when it starts wearing off, I can keep it going effectively by taking half of my next pill. Have y'all tried that?

So, with 20mg then 10 and then 10, I'm getting fantastic coverage from 9-4. I'm planning to ask my Dr at the end of this month if he can prescribe me just 20mg more per day, to stretch my day from 7 to (10 or )13 hours. Bfuddled, I'm like you, 12-16 hrs sounds normal. So fingers crossed that my Dr can help me.

I'm really anxious about becoming tolerant, and I have started taking magnesium just in case it helps. Thank you for responding this really gives me confidence to ask my Dr.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-17-14), FocusPocus10 (01-17-14), nielgeogylime (01-17-14)
Old 01-17-14, 05:16 PM
Contributor

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I have always found that taking multiple doses that total the same overall amount works better than 1 or 2 larger doses. I used to take 30mg xr twice a day but it works much better for me to take 20mg 3 times a day
XR dosing multiple times a day can lead to sleep disturbances for some patients. I suggest dosing multiple times per day with IR tablets from sandoz.
Old 06-25-14, 10:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

heylookacastle! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPocus10 View Post
XR dosing multiple times a day can lead to sleep disturbances for some patients. I suggest dosing multiple times per day with IR tablets from sandoz.
That is true for most but there are exceptions. I know I'm fine with twice daily dosings of the XR and I can't speak for the IR because I live in Canada and they banned it awhile ago thanks to lazy college kids abusing it before finals (non-ADHDers). I guess you never know until you try the xr and see how it affect you.

I know there is a chance that I could response better to IR and I hate the fact that we can't try it here in Canada but what can you do?

Hope you work it out!
Old 06-25-14, 11:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,916 Times in 2,698 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

120 mg, if you're average size or bigger, isn't very extreme or unheard of. 2.5hrs isn't unheard of either and is similar to what I experience on IR.
My prescribed dose is 80mg/day (combination IR and XR) which I used to take consistently. Now it's more like 40-60mg,... Because I find after years or developing my habits and coping skills. I do better with lesser side effects.

If you find 120mg is too high, I might try 10mg for your first and last dose.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax