ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-15-17, 08:32 PM
Banned

Postulate is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Severe writer's block?

I suggest using colored paper of your favorite color. Also, if the walls of your room are white, it's time to pay a visit to Home Depot!
Old 03-22-17, 04:28 PM

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

I usually have a completely blank mind when faced with a writing task. Is this symptomatic of ADHD or am I just intellectually handicapped/mentally impaired/a simpleton?
Old 03-22-17, 04:56 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,400 Times in 9,079 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
I usually have a completely blank mind when faced with a writing task. Is this symptomatic of ADHD or am I just intellectually handicapped/mentally impaired/a simpleton?
It can happen for a number of reasons -- and not just ADHD or intellectual disability.

Anxiety, subject knowledge, language impairments, bodily discomfort -- these are among the (many) other possibilities.

Even with ADHD, writer's block can arise for a number of reasons (in addition to those mentioned above):
  • A general feeling of being overwhelmed;
  • Distractibility or restlessness, leading to difficulty forming a coherent argument;
  • Lack of preparation;
  • Organizational difficulties: knowing bits of what you want to say, but struggling to put it in order;
  • Etc.
So, even knowing that it's ADHD doesn't necessarily fix the problem without further troubleshooting.

If it's any consolation, even people widely acclaimed for their written works have struggled with this!:
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (03-22-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-17, 05:03 PM

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that's interesting to know.

Irrespective of what's unfolding, I always feel like my mind is somewhat quiescent. But it's quite difficult to explain without contradicting myself. I honestly believe I have been absent-minded the vast majority of my life. It's hard to discern if it's a sensory-related problem, some form of cognitive impairment or something else entirely.
Old 11-01-17, 05:04 AM

Nate Jones is on a distinguished road

Although there are some good ideas and suggestions posted, none of them are getting to the heart of the matter. Nuerotypical solutions do not work as intended for ADD/ADHD brains. Here is why:

1st add/adhd is causes by underdevelopment or injury to your frontal lobe. This compromises your executive function. Executive function governs planning, organization of thoughts, emotions and words. It governs time management and self awareness. Motivation. Typically, add/adhd is on a spectrum and those suffering from it experience either innattentaive symptoms such as muddled thoughts, an inability to be concise or not tangent, disorganization and cluttered home/work space etc. While the hyperactive spectrum experiences impulsivity, lack of filters, irregular or overwhelming levels of energy, disrupted sleeping schedule etc. Some adhders have both. How severe you are depends on degree of underdevelopment of your frontal lobe.

The other key trait of add/adhd is your dopamine receptors being unable stimulate off of normal levels if dopamine. This causes us to be in a pseudo depressed unmotivated state gasping for stimulation like it were air. Once that stimulation is found, we then enter a state of hyper focus where we are engaged with that stimulus and lose track of everything else. What is happening is the excitement boosts your dopamine and you enter a focused state blocking out everything else. This is how most "normal" brains work at regular levels, adhders are focused and normal in states where "normal" people are over excited and freaking out. This is why somethings are easy to focus on while others are impossible. This is also what stimulant medications help manage. If you have adhd, drugs like Ritalin and adderall are actually much less risky. An add/adhder might have minor side effects (like an upset stomach for a few weeks) but if you actually have add/adhd they are not habit forming and overdosing is actually difficult to do. I was treated by experts in field. They said you dial in your medication by 10mg increments each day and once you feel twitchy like you drank to much coffee, go back down a step. That is your optimum dose. If you actually have add/adhd you will not experience euphoria and you won't crave the meds. All you will notice is a clear focus and motivation to do stuff that you normally don't have about 20 mins after taking a dosage. Once the dosage burns out of your system (6-8 hrs for standard ritalin/adderall based on brain chemistry) you will feel your self become scattered brain again. After being on meds, the only major side effect is slight fatigue once they wear off. This is because the dopamine receivers are not getting enough dopamine so your brain thinks it's time to sleep. You take another dose, and back to functioning. Adderall is more like needing glasses. Without It, everything is blurry and out if focus and you have to concentrate way harder. With it, your mind clears up and life and the normally difficult things your add can't focus on become things you can do.

Mind you, adderall doesn't solve the executive function issues. Coping tools and mindfulness can help there. Yes, I know a number of coping tools. Here is a quick list:

* use a timer, preferably the pomodoro method. The timer should be in small time chunks, simple and in your perreferial vision. It should count down. This method makes you mindful of time and helps you feel it passing instead of procrastinating to get that effect.
* use a body double. This is you working in a room or on a project with another person who is aware of what your goals and work require but isn't working directly with you (they may have their own stuff) so you aren't distracted talking to them. This makes you mindful of your actions, getting distracted and at the end being accountable for the goal.
* Visualize and map out the task or writing assignment. Visualize and feel what it will feel like to get it done. This engages your executive function that in a normal brain would be doing this automatically. In an adhd brain, we have to manually use that function to make it work.

* empty your mind with a gtd/capture system. I can't recommend a system like GTD enough. Simply, capture your ideas in a app or notebook. Gather your notes each day. Process the notes so they are either deleted, defered (to a later date and time), delegated or done (If it only takes 2 mins or less). Then plan out your day, and go. This allows you to empty your head and learn to trust your gtd system not lose anything. Just start researching the variety of methods. Each person customizes it to their own needs, but the basics are capture, gather, process and plan. Simpler the better.

* Work in a remote place with distractions removed. Isolation with you and just your work, a way from interruptions and temptation. This forces you to focus. I will go work out at some peaceful edge of town country road with my lap top and whatever project. I got a car desk. It's a board with a slit cut in it and it slides over your steering wheel, turning your car into an office. With my mobile device and hot spot. Accordian file and a computer bag with the right extra pockets, my car is a mobile workspace and I can go anywhere peaceful and remote where I won't be distracted. Sometimes a coffee and parking lot somewhere is enough too.

* Use the current initiative system in the book "do it tomorrow". Simply put, you have top priorities and a current main project. You do work on that first. Any interruptions, ideas, other tasks gets captured and then planned for action at the end of the work day or tomorrow. You can make exceptions for real emergencies, but you set aside scheduled time for that current initiative and only actions directly supporting it when you first start working. That gets priority and until you've put time into It, you don't get to do anything else.

* Use white noise or binaural beats. The idea is play these low column under the surface. They occupy the part of your brain that is distractable. Your concentration can then focus on writing or reading.

Here is a bonus, if you need to watch or listen to a lecture or book and you don't need to take many notes or you can't get motivated to do It, try this. Occupy your hands with something fun bit mindless. Fidget toys, shooter or twitch video games, exercise equipment, adult coloring book or other artistic but automatic muscle memory type activity. Then put on head phones, put the computer screen in your line if sight. And put the play speed at x1.5 or x2. Then go into that no mind state with the activity and focus on just the voice and any images in the video if any. Adhders can do this. It actually helps you focus and have greater comprehension.

It should also be stated, because adhd is caused by frontal lobe disability, it carries what are called comorbity traits. Aniexty, dyslexia, OCD, ODD, autism .. these are all in the same family/spectrum and an adhder is 75% likely to have one comorbid trait and 50% likely to have two. Add/Adhd runs in families too. Its the second most inherited trait next to height. Most likely it's the root of the dysfunctional stories you might have. Add isn't just distraction, it's self esteem issues, learning disabilities and unnessecary emotional abuse in otherwise perfectly loving homes. All these factors play into why you have writers block. Proper meds, good coping habits and identifying what specific types if adhd traits and an comorbid secondary traits you need to manage needs to be done first before you can solve why you can't get the words out of your head and onto a page.