ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 03-14-17, 06:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Johnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really nice
Re: My oversensivity is ruining my relationships :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
If anything, being oversensitive can make you more prone to putting up with abuse. You are too busy trying to figure out what qualifies as something to really be upset about vs. what is just something kind of usual or normal, and then when you combine that with the self doubt and shame over being sensitive- would make you likely to take abuse because of the uncertainty of the whole situation.
Yeah, totally, 100% this. If you've been around someone who abuses you emotionally, one thing that absolutely comes along with that is that they reject you when you say that they're being mean to you. If that person is your parent, a lot of the time all you have left when you leave the house is how you feel and so without that grounding in what is abusive/mean and what isn't, you wind up accepting straight-up meanness while simultaneously being ****** off at people who didn't actually mean to be mean to you because something in your own history makes you think it was mean.

I mean, I'm not surprised at how this originated but it's still an excellent point that I wanted to back up.
Old 03-15-17, 02:38 PM
Banned

Postulate is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstableAngel View Post
In response to hubby's abuse issue....occationally i say nothing cause it merely escalates the situation and he doesnt hear me anyways. Also, as i have bi polar as well when i'm depressed i feel nothing...i know im being disrespected (to put it mildly) but too depressed to care.
Oh -- one of those husbands, isn't he? His ears are stuffed so he's not listening very well, and when you tell him to no longer do something because it bothers you, he keeps on doing it! And he escalates! How does he make ends meet?

Quote:
so called friends ask "how are you" but don't wanna hear how you really are, they expect fine. When i have told them honestly, it's obvious they didn't really want to know.
Haha! Clap clap! I urge anyone with social anxiety to read this comment. And to think you should envy these people for their social skills! Laughable

Last edited by namazu; 03-15-17 at 03:52 PM..
Old 03-18-17, 08:42 PM
Jr Member

madhadder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
Yeah, totally, 100% this. If you've been around someone who abuses you emotionally, one thing that absolutely comes along with that is that they reject you when you say that they're being mean to you. If that person is your parent, a lot of the time all you have left when you leave the house is how you feel and so without that grounding in what is abusive/mean and what isn't, you wind up accepting straight-up meanness while simultaneously being ****** off at people who didn't actually mean to be mean to you because something in your own history makes you think it was mean.

I mean, I'm not surprised at how this originated but it's still an excellent point that I wanted to back up.

I agree with agreeing with this also. It's easy to stay and listen to verbal abuse of someone you love because there are so many ways you can justify it in your head.. such as 'he really loves me and doesn't mean it' 'he will change' 'he's just in a bad mood' or even worse 'what he says must be right, he is the one that lives with me.. puts up with me.. I best believe what he says' Then you take all those reasoning's that you convince yourself to believe and become overly sensitive to anything anyone else says.

I forget who mentioned it and I'm rusty on MB how-tos so I can't remember how to double quote.....but I also agree that you also spend so much time trying to figure out of you're being overly sensitive, not sensitive enough or if whomever is saying whatever they're saying has a point that you should pay attention to. That alone can make you feel a little batty and cause you to be overly sensitive and read into anything that is being said. That can hurt relationships with even the longest of friends, especially when you're reading into something that you know in your heart the person has said meaning no harm. You still react in a way that may be overly sensitive because of all those justifications mentioned above that are floating around in your head.
The Following User Says Thank You to madhadder For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (03-19-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-17, 09:13 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,686 Times in 8,863 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

It is good to justify a loved one's behaviour. Until it's not.

It takes courage and clear thinking, to start looking differently at the actions of a person who's close to you. Being accepted as who I am doesn't mean being accepted forever without question. When you're sure that my behaviour is going to continue in a way that you can't accept, that means you must stop accepting me.

Not accepting me - I mean sending me away or leaving me - is far better than trying to pretend you'll accept me as soon as I magically transform into someone else.

It can hurt, but not as badly as living a lie hurts. (Where the lie is "He'll change this time, I just know it.")
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-18-17)
Old 03-24-17, 09:53 AM

icantbelive93 is on a distinguished road

Being very sensitive sucks what has helped me is realizing that I also can be insensitive or say/do something that possibily could come across as hurtfull. However, that is not my intention and I definietly don't want to be hurtfull to others. This helped me realize we all do things that might be interpreted as mean/hurtfull when it really isn't like that. Maybe the peron is going through something, is stressed, is distracted, is hurting themselves. I know for me if i'm really stressed I'm more "b*tchy but not cause I want to hurt someone but cause I'm so stressed and selfinvolved I just impulsivily do/say something. I hope what I wrote makes sense and helps
The Following User Says Thank You to icantbelive93 For This Useful Post:
unstableAngel (03-26-17)
Old 03-25-17, 08:01 AM

unstableAngel will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: My oversensivity is ruining my relationships :(

Well, i have built this shell around myself, i know sounds weird considering how deeply i feel and connect to people...think i have abandonment issues (at least i used to). So my "shell" is my sarcasm, cause you certainly wouldnt suspect i was sensitive or easily upset, quite the opposite in fact. I hate it!! Feeling EVERYTHING so deeply...yet, its one of the things i love most about myself. It seems to me that many people are out for #1 & can't or don't want to be bothered by others problems, ie. dead battery, dropping a bag of groceries, opening doors, smiling & making eye contact & generally just caring about people. It seems people are quick to judge & take others inventory. But as im still quite new to the effects ADD has had on me & still does, i'm a work in process! Thanks again all for your comments.
What i'ts like by Everlast beautiful song about being more accepting & less judgemental as everyone has a story you know nothing about..
Be aware there is a word or two some may be offended by.
https://youtu.be/vPoEA43cqKc
Little Missy (03-25-17), stef (03-25-17)
Old 03-25-17, 12:41 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,686 Times in 8,863 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Sarcasm and joking are very common among ADHDers, probably for that reason. There must be a lot of comedians out there with ADHD.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 03-25-17, 01:22 PM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to all

Quote:
I overreact to the most possibly innocent slights. Guessing i'm experiencing a bit of paranoia....but geez i'm so tired of getting hurt so easily. I become attatched to people so quickly. And compared to me, it seems everyone is so cold & indifferent. Wish to God I could be less apt to feel so deeply when others don't.
Psychologists would say that your oversensitivity suggests that you place an unusually high value on what others think of you.

They would then say that this suggests an absence of self-esteem - that is, you do not hold yourself in high enough esteem for it to overcome potential negative things that others say about you.

I've been there.

The most empowering though anybody gave me was "your opinion of me is none of my business". I don't say that to people, but if they say something that I feel might be intended to bug me or insult me, I say it to myself. Totally defuses the initial negative feeling and allows me to thoughtfully think of how to re-word what they said to show me that they were planning to compliment me all along.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WheresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-25-17), stef (03-25-17)
Old 03-26-17, 04:41 AM

unstableAngel will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: My oversensivity is ruining my relationships :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbelive93 View Post
Being very sensitive sucks what has helped me is realizing that I also can be insensitive or say/do something that possibily could come across as hurtfull. However, that is not my intention and I definietly don't want to be hurtfull to others. This helped me realize we all do things that might be interpreted as mean/hurtfull when it really isn't like that. Maybe the peron is going through something, is stressed, is distracted, is hurting themselves. I know for me if i'm really stressed I'm more "b*tchy but not cause I want to hurt someone but cause I'm so stressed and selfinvolved I just impulsivily do/say something. I hope what I wrote makes sense and helps
TOTALLY!!! I've just recently gone thru something similar. My overreaction only happens to people i'm really close to and love. hmmm, makes sense tho, otherwise i wouldnt care so much. But when "it" happens, it's like KABOOM! I literally go off, am possitive that "they" meant (whatever) and nothing they say helps, in fact i just get more riled up. I'm fairly sure its been driving me bonkers lately as its happened several times in a relatively short amount of time. Also happened to notice i hadn't been takin my anti psych & mood stabilizer. Gee..wonder if that played a part:/ due to my BP i have to take those with both anti depressants & stimulants to keep mania at bay...oh, i've much to learn and runnin out of time to learn it all...
Old 03-26-17, 07:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,945 Times in 9,107 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
TOTALLY!!! I've just recently gone thru something similar. My overreaction only happens to people i'm really close to and love. hmmm, makes sense tho, otherwise i wouldnt care so much. But when "it" happens, it's like KABOOM! I literally go off, am possitive that "they" meant (whatever) and nothing they say helps, in fact i just get more riled up. I'm fairly sure its been driving me bonkers lately as its happened several times in a relatively short amount of time. Also happened to notice i hadn't been takin my anti psych & mood stabilizer. Gee..wonder if that played a part:/ due to my BP i have to take those with both anti depressants & stimulants to keep mania at bay...oh, i've much to learn and runnin out of time to learn it all...
I finally had to put this type of situation into some relative perspective. for myself.

I'm overly sensitive and others can be insensitive to me so I cut those that were out. Done.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 03-26-17, 11:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,449 Times in 12,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I wonder if people that comment on or criticize our sensitive nature are the ones who are afraid of their own emotions and picking on has for displaying ours makes them feel less uncomfortable.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.