ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-17, 03:58 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 21,634 Times in 9,136 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Could I be autistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Thanks for the quiz fortune. I'll give is try after I get my new charger for my laptop. Sucks it just broke and the quiz doesn't seem to work on my cell phone.

Dvd, thanks for the info on yourself.
Ah, yeah, you probably need to do it on a computer. I've never tried it on a phone or tablet.

Also check out that thread I pointed out on the wrong planet forum - it has a lot of tests which can be indicative.

And I would say not to worry whether or not you're being professionally evaluated, since you know you best, and you're trying to better understand yourself, there's nothing wrong with this kind of exploration.
Old 03-02-17, 04:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,171 Times in 1,634 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
Ah, yeah, you probably need to do it on a computer. I've never tried it on a phone or tablet.

Also check out that thread I pointed out on the wrong planet forum - it has a lot of tests which can be indicative.

And I would say not to worry whether or not you're being professionally evaluated, since you know you best, and you're trying to better understand yourself, there's nothing wrong with this kind of exploration.
Thanks fortune. You've been a big help.
Old 03-02-17, 06:40 PM

Thanked 23,074 Times in 10,648 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHNWCC View Post
Hi! I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you can't really diagnose yourself with a checklist or quiz. I really do wish it were that easy. I have went with several family members through all their long testing to be diagnosed with autism, and it is complex testing. Based on my experience, people with autism generally do not even realize that they view the world differently than others. Therefore, it would be really hard for someone to do a quiz or checklist on themselves. I suppose you could have someone close to you do a checklist on you from their perception of you. I really would encourage you to talk to a psychologist if you are truly concerned. You would need a psychologist to diagnose you anyways. (At least where I'm from, a psychiatrist only deals with prescribing meds and seeing overall care. The psychologist actually does the diagnosing and actual therapy with you.) Hope this helps you!
Online quizzes, checklists or questionnaires aren't meant to be diagnostic,
and I've never seen one claim anything like that.

They've all said my score was high enough that I might be interested in
talking to a trained mental health professional about the possibility I could
be on the spectrum.

Everything I've seen and read from people with autism says that they are
quite aware they are somehow different in how they interact with the world.

Of course I don't mean young children, kids with these disorders may realize
they are somehow different than their peers but they don't really understand
those differences until they get older and do some reading or talk to others
to compare differences and similarities.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-02-17), Fortune (03-02-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-17, 07:16 PM

Thanked 10,968 Times in 4,874 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

rdos dot net aspie quiz:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 76 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 148 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?...37&p9=7&p10=38

Cheers,
Ian
BellaVita (03-03-17), Little Missy (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 07:43 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
rdos dot net aspie quiz:

Cheers,
Ian

Yeah, that's the one I took a few years ago. I don't remember the score now,
but it did say it's possible I'm on the spectrum and if I find the symptoms to
be impairing I should ask for a diagnosis.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-03-17)
Old 03-02-17, 08:16 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 21,634 Times in 9,136 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
rdos dot net aspie quiz:

Cheers,
Ian
Your Aspie score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 34 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

This is from when I took the Aspie Quiz in 2013.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-03-17), BellaVita (03-03-17)
Old 03-02-17, 08:38 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,891 Times in 9,301 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
People can find out from checklists and "quizzes" whether they might be autistic or not.

This advice really isn't helpful for someone trying to explore the possibility that she is autistic. For one thing, when you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism. Which means that your experiences may not be universal. People who grow to adulthood with conditions like autism may very well realize things that you don't think autistic people can realize. Heck, people who are teenagers can realize it. And sometimes children.

To put this in some kind of context, before my official professional dx with autism spectrum disorder, I had used the quizzes and checklists to determine that I was probably autistic. I also talked to other autistic people to see what we might have in common and where we might differ. Overall, it was a very helpful process to me and I would never advise someone to not do it simply because of the (wrong) idea that diagnosis is sacrosanct.
Yes I agree with this.

I may not be diagnosed, but I sure as heck know without any doubt whatsoever that I'm autistic.

I actually wasn't aware of it or that it could even be a possibility until I was a young adult, but I have felt different from everyone since I was a small girl. I remember that feeling hitting me when I was a quite young kid sitting on the floor with my other classmates, it was such a strong and somewhat lonely feeling. But I couldn't figure out what was causing that feeling. It was just there. Maybe different is the wrong word, but the strong feeling that there was something missing in my interaction with others and how others responded to me versus how they interacted with each other and responded to each other. None of these words are accurately describing my experience, it's hard to explain.

I fit the diagnostic criteria almost to a t.

And every checklist I read about symptoms of autistic females I hit like 97% of them.

I can't remember for sure but I think my aspie score was like 178(or was it 189? It was definitely between the 170s and 180s but I can't remember what) on the aspie quiz.

I have researched this topic more than almost any other topic ever. And have looked back and evaluated my childhood. Other people have given their opinions on me. About my behavior etc. Other people also do not doubt that I am.

It so clearly explains everything about my life, it is shocking.

One day I would like to probably get a formal diagnosis just to make it "official." But at this point in my life, that's not something I need.

With this information about autism, I have learned many things about myself and have discovered ways to help reduce sensory issues, reduce and prevent meltdowns and burn out,have people accommodate me in ways so that I am able to function and use communication in a way that works for me, and the people around me are very understanding to my needs and "different" ways.

I got made fun of for some of my autistic behaviors growing up, from my brother to my school friends, and got told bad things about me like how I have to have everything go my own way.

I've been told that I'm rude for things I didn't even know were "wrong" because I lacked the ability to understand how other people thought and how my actions and behavior would affect others, I was told other times that I am self-centered and selfish. Because of how badly I would react to changes in plan, and because I needed things to go in a particular order and way.

And it is so good to now know that I never was those bad things and that what people said about me and thought about me wasn't true after all. That it was just how I am and it is how I am because of being autistic. And it's good to know that my behaviors (rocking, flapping, vocal repetition - etc.) are stemming. And now I don't feel so bad about doing them because I need to do them! And it's OK. I'm not a freak or weird like how I was treated.

And my struggles to interact socially and the weird suddenly going mute thing that has happened to me my entire life is all finally explained and that gives me relief and peace.

Oddly enough, although not so odd to me, finding out about autism has changed my life in more ways than any other "official" diagnosis I've ever received.

I could go on and on - but yeah sometimes just knowing about yourself and learning something so significant can be life-changing without necessarily having a formal diagnosis. Plus, just because I could get a piece of paper saying that, doesn't change the fact that I already have been autistic this whole time.

Last edited by BellaVita; 03-02-17 at 08:54 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-03-17), aeon (03-03-17), Fortune (03-03-17), Lunacie (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 09:16 PM

Since I didn't remember my score, I took the test again.

Quote:
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 112 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 73 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
Not as significant as Fortune, but not neuro-typical by any means.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-03-17), BellaVita (03-03-17), Fortune (03-03-17)
Old 03-02-17, 10:17 PM

Got it to work on my cell using chrome.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 95 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 100 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

I'm thinking I'm like dvd. Probably not autistic but with some traits. Test seems to match what people think of themselves interestingly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-03-17), Fortune (03-03-17)
Old 03-03-17, 12:35 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that you probably would not be diagnosed with ASD by a mental health professional who was using the "gold standard" autism diagnostic tools.

However!

ADHD and ASD are a lot more similar than they might first appear. If think if you have ADHD, you might as well consider yourself to have Autism Lite, for the purpose of self-help research. The actual issues faced by adults with each condition are weirdly similar, so if you make a topic about ADHD issues and someone starts posting ASD-related info, it's not because you have ASD, it's because similar tactics are used for both. (Here's a comparison of the DSM diagnostic criteria.) The overlap is stronger with some presentations of each condition than others, but if you read forums/blogs/self-help/etc by autistic people, you will probably identify with it quite a lot.

Quote:
Is there a good online checklist somewhere or something?
The AQ-10 (available here) is considered useful as a screening test by actual medical professionals. (Personally, I have trouble answering half the questions.)

The Aspie Quiz is probably most informative, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be the most accurate, but it gets little respect by mental health professionals because it wasn't made by one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Would it not be a psychiatrist instead of psychologist or is it different with autism
Autism seems to be more of a psychologist thing. At least in the USA, any mental health professional is technically allowed to diagnose any mental health condition (even if they're like a social worker or counselor or something), but in practice, it seems like different types tend to have different diagnostic inclinations and specialties.

People on this site (expecting an ADHD diagnosis) tend to have bad results if they go to a psychologist, but on wrongplanet.org (autism forum, people want an ASD diagnosis) you'll find oodles of similar anecdotes about the bad consequences of going to a psychiatrist. I wonder if there is some diagnostic bias based on whether the condition has decent medication or non-medication treatments?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-03-17), aeon (03-03-17), BellaVita (03-03-17), Fortune (03-03-17)
Old 03-03-17, 04:31 PM

Thanks cyllya. Interesting comparison between the 2 illnesses.

I'm so discouraged by mental healthcare services available around the world. That generally accepted test sucks. It's another example of why I'd much rather do my own research and ask people here than go to any medical professional. I guess both is good since the pros would know better how to ask me questions so they can get the big picture better but still, I don't think I could ever trust a medical professional without doing my own research ever again when it comes to mental illness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-03-17), Fortune (03-03-17)
Old 03-03-17, 07:31 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

About professionals and legitimate diagnosis:

In a significant proportion of cases, professionals diagnose wrong. Often, they diagnose the same person wrong more than once.

Given that, I can't see a reason why someone who thinks they're autistic should be warned to only trust professional diagnosis. Also, at least in general, an autism diagnosis doesn't lead inevitably to medication and other treatment the way an ADHD diagnosis does.

I do see lots of reasons to warn them away from quacks, but in general the autism quacks are scary and cruel anyway - no one in their right mind, autistic or non-autistic, would listen to them for their own personal advice. The autism quacks seem instead to target the parents of autistic children, desperate parents who will do or pay anything to get their child "fixed" - as long as it doesn't involve asking the child how he feels about it, or being led to discover that the child doesn't need to be fixed. It's sad.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-03-17), BellaVita (03-03-17), Fortune (03-03-17), Lunacie (03-03-17), Tetrahedra (04-11-17)
Old 03-03-17, 09:00 PM

Thank you dvdnvwls!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-03-17), BellaVita (03-03-17)
Old 03-19-17, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
acdc the only way to know for sure is if your doctor diagnoses you
but dont tell the doc about other diagnoses you got before not to make him/her half-blind.

My Aspie score: 182 of 200
My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200

Do I still have ADHD?

CBD-votary

Last edited by C15H25N3O; 03-19-17 at 03:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to C15H25N3O For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-19-17)
Old 03-19-17, 03:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

I am diagnosed with heavy inattentive ADHD and recently with Autism.

What is true? Dont believe the diagosis hype and evidence based medicine.
Just be yourself and take what feels natural and good for you.

First of all I am myself not a labeled peace of meat.

As I am autistic I have to repetitive burp again.

Burp!

CBD-votary