ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

View Poll Results: Do you consider your external environment as part of your body?
Yes 3 25.00%
No 5 41.67%
other 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-17, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Do you consider your external environment as part of your body?

Do you consider your external environment as part of your body?

See poll.

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Old 03-12-17, 06:09 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,699 Times in 8,871 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you consider your external environment as part of your body?

Do you mean, do I sometimes prefer to treat it as if it is?

Or do you mean, do I really believe it is?

If you mean real belief, I don't see how that could make sense, except as part of a hallucination or other manifestation of a disorder. Are you thinking along those lines - that maybe this is a widespread disorder?

Or... Hmmm... Perhaps a Buddhist-style "all divisions are illusory, the universe is one" type of idea?
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 03-12-17, 06:12 PM

mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

My internal environment could not survive without my external environment.

It is a fascinating relationship.

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-12-17 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: edit environment
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-17, 06:19 PM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
My internal body could not survive without my external environment.

It is a fascinating relationship.
Yes, absolutely.

Unless you do go the Buddhist-style route and say something like "there is no relationship to be fascinated by, because there is no internal and no external".
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
tearsong (04-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Yes, absolutely.

Unless you do go the Buddhist-style route and say something like "there is no relationship to be fascinated by, because there is no internal and no external".

I wonder how someone could say something without an internal/external environment?

m
Old 03-12-17, 06:48 PM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I wonder how someone could say something without an internal/external environment?
The same way as with one.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 07:20 PM

I wonder about parts of ADHD in regards to the internal environment and parts of ADHD in regards to the external environment?

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-12-17 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: edit for clarity
Old 03-12-17, 07:24 PM

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,659 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Inasmuch as I consider having a body, in baseline consciousness, no I do not consider my external environment to be part of it.

Experience with various entheogens has told me otherwise, for what that is worth.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (03-13-17), mildadhd (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 07:48 PM

Humans cannot develop internal self-regulation without external maternal regulation.

m
Old 03-12-17, 08:18 PM

I do think life in the external environment would exist without internal human consciousness.

But I do not think internal human consciousness would exist without an external environment.

m
Old 03-13-17, 03:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,476 Times in 12,301 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I dont understand what the ideas behind external and internal environment and how it relates to me.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 10:45 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,157 Times in 8,643 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I hope this isn't totally off the mark you're aiming for. If so, I apologize. I don't consider my external environment as being an actual physical part of my body, most days (when I'm not lying on the ground soaking up the sun, moon, and stars).

But I do now realize more deeply, and much more clearly than ever before (as it relates to self), just how significantly the external environment directly affects my overall well-being, hence the drastic and purposeful changes I've made to try to live more healthily and function more comfortably within that knowledge.

After experimenting with information I've gained within the last several years, mostly through trying all the things that didn't work, I've learned my environment has been quite instrumental in much of my dis-ease through the years.

What we're surrounded by, what we ingest, what we put on and around our bodies that gets absorbed into our largest organ, how we're raised, what we live through, where we spend our energies (everything is energy), what we allow ourselves to think repeatedly, etc., etc., it all matters more than I ever fully realized. I was too busy trying to meet all of those external expectations to pay attention to those little details.

There are so many things I never thought twice about, or even thoroughly understood the basics of (although I passed many classes and was told I did), until I was prompted to start seeking answers behind all the curtains. That was in addition to the typical scripts I'd been receiving from all the typical spaces suggested to be the most helpful for various issues through the years that only served to complicate things more than help.

So I guess my answer is both yes and no, in a sense. If I'm surrounded by "junk", as in things that are not healthily beneficial to a living being, be it momentarily or over a long period of time, and have no choice but to put junk in, since that's all that's made available and accessible for whatever reasons, be it via food, drink, thought, hygiene products, medications, cleaning supplies, reading material, television, movies, etc., all I will likely ever get back out is "junk", as typically defined by the same society/family/etc. trying to get me to meet their expectations. Quite the catch 22 going on there.

Having endless societal and familial standards in place that are expecting only the highest quality stuff to be coming out, regardless of the external fuel and direction you're given to work with, seems to create the scenes that dictate what's considered good enough and "normal" enough. Not a level playing field by any means.

Reaching a healthy and sustainable functioning point amidst/in spite of a lifetime of a whole lot of external junk being the fuel for the foundation that your existence was built upon is quite the challenge, I've found.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-13-17), mildadhd (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 11:52 AM

Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,126 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Maybe your immediate environment is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-13-17)
Old 03-20-17, 02:04 AM

What would my body be, without earth or atmosphere? (oxygen, etc)

What would earth's atmosphere be, without space's atmosphere?

In other words, if there was no space's atmosphere, there would be no earth's atmosphere.

If there was no earth's atmosphere (oxygen, etc), there would be no Me, for my body to be.

LOL

m
Old 03-22-17, 02:18 PM

Maybe I am an alien?

a