ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-17, 11:57 AM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Christians? Are you here?

If so, let's meet and share! I know we may be of different Christian beliefs but surely we can find some common ground. I'm a Roman Catholic myself. So was my dad. My mom was Disciples of Christ. I learned good things about Jesus and the Bible from both of them.

I thought it'd be nice if we could chat about how our faith in Jesus Christ helps us deal with our ADD - or the challenges having ADD may present in areas such as concentration on prayer and Bible study, resisting impulsive temptations to sin, that sort of thing.

Let's do our best to do this in a way that won't become a problem for forum admins and/or reflect badly on our faith. Helpful would be to share in a "this worked for me" or "I'd like suggestions about this" manner. Less helpful would be to blatantly proselytize or criticise another's beliefs or be accusatory that they aren't doing things correctly. We are all works in progress. Maybe pray for wisdom in what we post and how we word it.

And . . . go!
Joker_Girl (03-17-17), mildadhd (03-16-17), namazu (03-10-17), Wuvmy3kitties (03-10-17)
Old 03-10-17, 01:39 PM
Suspended Account

Wuvmy3kitties will become famous soon enough
Re: Christians? Are you here?

COOL! I have wondered if there were any Christians on here.
I may not be a "perfect Christian," but then, if I were I wouldn't need Jesus.

As some of you already know, I have anger issues and am struggling with this as well as using bad language. I thought I'd overcome this, but eventually I discovered I was getting really upset over stupid things. A LOT of prayer, submission to the Lord, and multivitamin supplements with extra magnesium and calcium help.

I am a fervent Christian, my Facebook account is dedicated to the work of Christ with the occasional personal or fun post/share. I love to sing for the Lord, encourage others, and also pray for people. I believe God has let me go thru the experiences of my childhood (and even present-day) partly so I could become closer to Him, and also to encourage people.

OK I've blathered on long enough. Hope to talk with yall soon!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wuvmy3kitties For This Useful Post:
LowBudget (03-22-17), OhLookABunny (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 07:03 PM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuvmy3kitties View Post
COOL! I have wondered if there were any Christians on here.
I may not be a "perfect Christian," but then, if I were I wouldn't need Jesus.

As some of you already know, I have anger issues and am struggling with this as well as using bad language. I thought I'd overcome this, but eventually I discovered I was getting really upset over stupid things. A LOT of prayer, submission to the Lord, and multivitamin supplements with extra magnesium and calcium help.

I am a fervent Christian, my Facebook account is dedicated to the work of Christ with the occasional personal or fun post/share. I love to sing for the Lord, encourage others, and also pray for people. I believe God has let me go thru the experiences of my childhood (and even present-day) partly so I could become closer to Him, and also to encourage people.

OK I've blathered on long enough. Hope to talk with yall soon!
I was at church today having my holy hour and remembered I'd started this thread! Welcome to it! I've been sleepy ever since the time change and the full moon (which sometimes causes me to be wakeful, so a couple nights I stayed up till 3 in the morning). And I returned to exercising at the gym yesterday after months off and a surgery last fall. So I was sitting there with my Bible reading along and suddenly I wake up, realize I fell asleep - tried again and kept doing the same thing.

I did finally get the chapters read - I'm on a goal of reading the entire Bible straight through. It's been stop and start. But I have made it further than on any previous attempts. In the past I'd bog down somewhere between Exodus and Leviticus. This time, despite ADD and the craziness of life, I've still gotten a lot further. I'm ready to begin 2 Kings.

My concentration for reading and prayer isn't what it used to be, not even close. Part ADD, part menopause brain, I think. And probably some laziness but I've been praying for help combating that!

Oh, can I relate to the struggle with temper, too!
Wuvmy3kitties (03-20-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-17, 08:04 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,693 Times in 8,867 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

As far as reading all the way through, you have to allow yourself to pick up where you left off even if you took a long break. Otherwise you just get the first bit over and over.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 03-20-17, 04:49 PM
Suspended Account

Oh I struggle with praying. I came up with a list of things I try to remember to pray about daily. I read thru that as I pray. As I do so, I ask the Lord to show anything or anyone in need of prayer. I also take prayer requests, so if you or anyone here need prayer, DO feel free to ask. Intercessory prayer is one of my spiritual gifts.

I've read thru the entire bible once, but am now reading it again. I strongly recommend reading it all over again once you finish, and if possible use a bible with study notes like the Life Application Bible. I have an online app of it on my phone ($20), and I what I do is I have parallel translations....for example I am in Isaiah at the moment. I read the NLT version, alongside the New King James version, to really get more out of the Word. I also read the study notes and commentary with it. It is too easy to misunderstand Scripture if you read it without the help of study notes. For instance, Matthew 7:1-2 (the "judge not" scripture) is constantly misinterpreted by Christians, used in order to defend against any declaration that a given person’s behavior is wrong (quite often by the person in question). Effectively, when quoted as such, the verse is understood as a prohibition against declaring any specific action sinful or wrong, since doing so would mean “judging” someone. A more thorough study of this passage, along with the texts that proceed it, will show what it actually means. And this is why taking select scriptures out of context like this and then THINKING you understand it or are you using it correctly (when you're not) are so dangerous, and why I say you had better be sure you've really studied that passage thoroughly before making such statements.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wuvmy3kitties For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (03-24-17)
Old 03-20-17, 05:56 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,234 Times in 682 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I am a Christian. For years I was actively pursuing a relationship with the Lord, had amazing Christian friends, very involved in ministry and went to a good church.

I hit the wall and basically had a nervous breakdown while going to nursing school. My ADHD-I was undiagnosed for the first part of it, my anxiety was through the roof and I fell into severe depression. I failed out of that nursing school.

I stopped going to church as it all closed in on me and couldn't handle so many people asking me how school was and I didn't want to lie and say good as it wasn't but I certainly wasn't going to tell the truth- I deal with shame in a huge way.

The wonderful God-seeking, supportive friends were eventually cut out of my life as I was so ashamed at how poorly school was going then eventually failing out as the depression and anxiety took over. I quit taking their calls, and eventually they stopped calling

This all went on between 2009-2011/2012. Since then I haven't read the Bible much, gone to church <10 times, done zero ministry work or had a social life. I graduated from another nursing school and am working as a nurse. I am not in job that is a good fit for my ADHD-I, still deal with depression and anxiety and basically I am a different person than I was before I started nursing nursing school.

I still believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God and only through Jesus Christ is there salvation. I know nothing happens that God doesn't allow, He still has plans for me, He's working all things for my good and He hasn't abandoned me.

I am very, very slowly getting better but it has been and will be a long process.

Please pray for me.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (03-24-17), Wuvmy3kitties (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 08:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Christian Music

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 05:58 PM
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I am a Christian. For years I was actively pursuing a relationship with the Lord, had amazing Christian friends, very involved in ministry and went to a good church.

I hit the wall and basically had a nervous breakdown while going to nursing school. My ADHD-I was undiagnosed for the first part of it, my anxiety was through the roof and I fell into severe depression. I failed out of that nursing school.

I stopped going to church as it all closed in on me and couldn't handle so many people asking me how school was and I didn't want to lie and say good as it wasn't but I certainly wasn't going to tell the truth- I deal with shame in a huge way.

The wonderful God-seeking, supportive friends were eventually cut out of my life as I was so ashamed at how poorly school was going then eventually failing out as the depression and anxiety took over. I quit taking their calls, and eventually they stopped calling

This all went on between 2009-2011/2012. Since then I haven't read the Bible much, gone to church <10 times, done zero ministry work or had a social life. I graduated from another nursing school and am working as a nurse. I am not in job that is a good fit for my ADHD-I, still deal with depression and anxiety and basically I am a different person than I was before I started nursing nursing school.

I still believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God and only through Jesus Christ is there salvation. I know nothing happens that God doesn't allow, He still has plans for me, He's working all things for my good and He hasn't abandoned me.

I am very, very slowly getting better but it has been and will be a long process.

Please pray for me.
First of all, I LOVE YOU IN CHRIST.
2nd of all, yes I will absolutely pray for you.

I haven't been inside a church for over 10 years. Mine is due to being badmouthed by an Elder, falsely accused, forced to submit to their version of "biblical counseling," and then upon my leaving there, the Pastor telling his flock that if they see me to report back to me. That church kept tabs on me and checked with other churches in the area to see if I was there. How do I know? Because someone from my old church told me this. I was told what "they think" of me and I told them, I don't care what you think, I care more about what God thinks of me. I answer to HIM, not you.
I do attend an online church now. Let me tell you for the record that if you "go to church" via watching a televised service, be it on TV or online, that is the same as attending church in a building and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. (I have a brother who accused me of this and I set the record straight with him.)

God still loves you and has not abandoned you. I know that He misses your fellowship, because He desires SO much for us to be close to Him, to experience His incredible love, compassion and forgiveness. I can truly say when no one else gives a (ahem)....HE CARES.

I also encourage you to get back into bible study. No, that doesn't mean you have to go to a bible study group. See my post above about my bible study method: I have a Life Application bible that provides study notes and commentary, and I do my best to read and study it every day. So, if someone asks me to attend bible study, I decline because I'm already doing so. Also, get a translation you can understand. The only ones I do NOT recommend are "The Message" and the Amplified bible, because they distort the scriptures and take them out of context. I use the NLT, New King James, original King James, and occasionally the NIV.

Spend some time talking to the Lord about what's going on in your life. He's interested, and He would love to help you feel better. Call out to Him in your time of trouble. He loves you so much that He died for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wuvmy3kitties For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (03-23-17)
Old 03-21-17, 06:54 PM

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

The Message is my favourite version so far. I find King James old English really hard to understand. Both have probably lost some original meaning during translations. When I read about Jesus I always feel like his actions are meant as examples in how to understand how to promote development of self-regulation. Except maybe when he was flipping tables. Which makes me think if Jesus can lose it, then nobody can expect to have perfect self-control.

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by namazu; 03-22-17 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: to keep thread on topic
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (03-23-17), Little Missy (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 07:34 PM

Thanked 16,956 Times in 9,113 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! I'm a Christian Jew if that counts.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (03-23-17), mildadhd (03-24-17), OhLookABunny (03-24-17)
Old 03-22-17, 05:45 PM
Jr Member

LowBudget is a jewel in the roughLowBudget is a jewel in the roughLowBudget is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
The Message is my favourite version so far. I find King James old English really hard to understand. Both have probably lost some original meaning during translations. When I read about Jesus I always feel like his actions are meant as examples in how to understand how to promote development of self-regulation. Except maybe when he was flipping tables. Which makes me think if Jesus can lose it, then nobody can expect to have perfect self-control.
m

Translations and hard to read versions are an issue that is why they went back to the scriptures and tried again with the NRSV. I still disagree on a few of their decisions but it is a decent and I believe honest attempt.
Quote:
Principles of revision

Improved manuscripts and translations

The Old Testiment translation of the RSV was completed before the Dead Sea Scrolls were available to scholars. The NRSV was intended to take advantage of this and other manuscript discoveries, and to reflect advances in scholarship.

When troubled by other's interpretations I try to look at the original words used or at least the oldest available language such as Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek and how the words were used then. I often find a differing view by doing such. I tend to keep that opion to myslef

LowBudget

Last edited by namazu; 03-22-17 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: consistency with post edited above
The Following User Says Thank You to LowBudget For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-24-17)
Old 03-22-17, 06:00 PM
Jr Member

LowBudget is a jewel in the roughLowBudget is a jewel in the roughLowBudget is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Hey! I'm a Christian Jew if that counts.
I would think so.. I think so many Christians forget or ignore that Jesus was Jewish.

Our church has a decent relationship with a Temple locally and we do a Seder meal together. it isn't a stuffy one either,.. sometimes a few think a bit to much manischewitz is drank.

As Christians I feel we should maintain a better relationship between the faiths. It looks as if you took that one step further.

LowBudget
finallyfound10 (04-01-17), Little Missy (03-22-17), mildadhd (03-24-17)