ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-12, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

wreckseetee will become famous soon enough
Emotional vs. productivity benefits

I've noticed most of the talk regarding ADHD is related to being productive and using productivity as a benchmark for ones function. While it was my inablity to focus and strugles with school that led to my adolescent dx and treatment; and the return of symptoms in adulthood that prompted me to seek help more recently...I find the most significant impact of stimulant medication is its affect of my emotional state.

The ability to appreciate the most mundane events of life has had a profound impact on my relationship with my kids and wife...greatly improving my quality of life and overall happiness that dwarfs the impact on productivity.

Am I alone here?? Because in talking about this disfunction, I think too much attention (no pun intended) is paid to the productivity aspect vs. emotional well being...
The Following User Says Thank You to wreckseetee For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-28-12)
Old 04-27-12, 08:05 PM
Jr Member

misskitten is on a distinguished road
Re: Emotional vs. productivity benefits

Interesting point! It definitely resonates with me. I initially went to the pdoc for problems (anxiety and attention) stemming from poor productivity at work -- but the diagnosis and medication (started Adderall in March) have clued me in to WAY larger-in-scope issues I'd been dealing with and not seeing as related.

For example. I am noticing big/unexpected improvements in my communication skills (listening to others! what a concept.) and appreciating my baseline total lack of patience. Good times.
The Following User Says Thank You to misskitten For This Useful Post:
wreckseetee (04-30-12)
Old 04-27-12, 08:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,896 Times in 4,065 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Medication makes me like people and actually want to talk to them. You can tell I'm not medicated because if I was I wouldn't put it so bluntly.
The medication makes me want to be social and I can focus on any mundane thing. Except for sports. I was going to research sports for my writings but I just couldn't. To me it's in a different language, a boring language...and I'm falling asleep just thinking about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
wreckseetee (04-30-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-12, 04:04 PM

gracious_mama has a spectacular aura aboutgracious_mama has a spectacular aura about

I understand what you're saying. I have suffered from what I thought was depression for years (started at 13 and I'm now 24 and recently dx) the depression meds have never worked. I do notice a small improvement with the ADHD meds (which is actually significant because NOTHING they put me on before had any effect and even made it worse) However, I think for me personally my depression is linked to my inability to function so I imagine when I am able to get a job (and keep it), move out of my parent's house (and stay out), and take good care of my kids that my depression will lift bc I won't feel like such a failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to gracious_mama For This Useful Post:
wreckseetee (04-30-12)
Old 04-28-12, 08:14 PM

Thanked 6,232 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

So far medication (dexedrine) has not done that much for my productivity. It makes me a little better at staying on top of housework, but I'm still really struggling with procrastination.

The big things I've noticed are increased self awareness and self confidence, less hyperactivity and anxiety, and I'm better able to follow lectures and conversations.

I actually think the decreased anxiety is contributing to my lack of productivity.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
wreckseetee (04-30-12)
Old 04-28-12, 09:51 PM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'm able to separate emotional benefits from those related to productivity. I guess they both fall under the umbrella of efficiency/functionality. I can't be productive without some improvement in my mental state, and I can't experience a positive mental state when I have serious impairments as far as output goes.
namazu (04-29-12), wreckseetee (04-30-12)