ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-13, 03:18 AM

MDstudent is on a distinguished road
Story of my life, I hope someone can relate.

How do I start this. Well, I guess, hello everybody. I'm 20 years old, pre-med student. I was diagnosed with AD(H)D when I was around 6 years old, mostly inattentive, behaved well in school but very hyperactive when I was at home. I took natural supplements for many years in my childhood to treat my ADD. I'm not sure about the efficacy of the treatment but I guess it got me trough childhood. I stopped taking them at about age 10.

At around age 12-13 I was diagnosed with depression and I was in treatment until age 15 when I decided to stop taking the meds. Throughout this time I became socially withdrawn and had no friends. I went to 4 different schools during this time, I hated all of them and never made any friends. At grade 10 I stopped going to school. I spent most of my time sitting in front of the computer playing videogames and browsing the internet, the only place where I felt I could comfortably talk to strangers.

In spite of my conditions I have always been a very smart person, what most people consider above average intelligence. I think my ADD might have been overshadowed by my intelligence. Even though I wasn't going to school, that didn't make me stop learning new things. I spent as much time playing videogames as reading Wikipedia entries, articles and browsing the internet for new and interesting stuff. I consider myself an autodidact, most of my knowledge has been self-taught.

Thorough adolescence I also learned to cope with my deficiencies. I've always been very introspective, always trying to understand myself a little better. At age 16 I started going to Job Corps to get my high school diploma, this was a very enlightening experience. I learned a lot about life in the year and a half I went there. The thing about this place was that everybody was on the same boat, we were all high school dropouts. We all had many problems in our lives and everyone helped each other. It was almost like a second family and I managed to make a couple of friends.

After getting my high school diploma I realized I could do a lot more than that. I decided to enroll in college and now I'm on my 4th year (almost finished) of BS in Biology, I have a 3.89 GPA as of today. I also have a few good friends here and I feel a lot better and comfortable than in other stages of my life. I'm hoping everything goes right so I can get to be a surgeon in the future

A year or so ago I started going to a psychiatrist again, the depression came back and it was too much for me to handle so I got help. I've been taking Wellbutrin (bupropion) for a little over 9 months now, it has worked wonders for my depression and also helped a bit with the ADD. In the last couple of months the ADD symptoms got worse, maybe because of all the emotional stress I have. I talked to my psychiatrist about it and she gave me a prescription for Adderall.

Wow, for the first time in years I can say I feel almost normal. Adderall makes me focused, gives me motivation and has even helped with my social anxiety. I cannot believe I had never tried it before. For the first time in my life I can grab a book and read for more than 15 minutes without losing focus or motivation. I even started learning how to play acoustic guitar by myself, something I had wanted to learn for years but never got to it.

So this is my story, it might be kinda disorganized and I hope it doesnít sound like a bunch of rambling. I have many other thoughts to share but I'm tired right now and have a long day tomorrow. I hope some of you can relate to this post and share your thoughts too.

P.S. English isn't my first language, if there are any major grammatical errors you can tell me, I have no problems taking criticism and it will help me learn better English too.
The Following User Says Thank You to MDstudent For This Useful Post:
Baal Moom (12-04-13)