ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-14, 01:58 AM

okkbow is on a distinguished road
Dealing with the emotional effects of life long ADD

It seems like there is a lot of info on ADD medicine and tips for productivity, but what I don't always find is information on the emotional and psychological consequences of taking a pill for the majority of one's life.

I am curious to know if people have felt broken and how you have gotten over feeling broken to achieve wholeness.

I recently wrote out my journey and tools (see link below if you are interested), but am also interested in expanding my understanding through others. For the record, I am 34, and have been on and off some sort of medication to help me focus since the 6th grade.

http://www.prettygoodatlife.com/2014...rms-add-adult/
The Following User Says Thank You to okkbow For This Useful Post:
Tmoney (01-31-14)
Old 01-30-14, 12:26 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,777 Times in 640 Posts
Jacksper has disabled reputation
Re: Dealing with the emotional effects of life long ADD

Dealing with this is still something I have to do. Indeed, it's about achieving wholeness.

Something that helps me now: I find out about Jungian psychology a few weeks ago and I am currently reading the book "King, Warrior, Magician, Lover", which describes male archetypes. I don't know if you're a guy, but this is incredibly interesting (I equate this "wholeness" with "becoming a man") - according to the book, most males never truly become "men". It says that in order to become a man, you need to go through an "initiation", which requires sacred space and a ritual elder.

What I get from this, with my AD(H)D struggles in mind, is that I need to transition to a new man and let go of my old boy.

If you're a guy, I highly recommend this read to you. One thing in which this can help is that you know that you're not alone in this struggle. Even AD(H)D people are not the only ones, everyone is struggling with emotional effects of this thing called life. It can be tough and our self-image can be damaged.

It's good that you are working on this. Let me tell you, this requires a lot of conscious effort if you want to change here. I think that most people are not aware how strongly the past affect them, and if they are, they don't find a way to really let go and become a whole person.

So, you really need to go for this if you want it. I am sure life can get a lot better if you manage to make this change!

Edit: interesting link!
Edit2: the book I recommended is for men, but I think most principles apply to women too.
Old 01-30-14, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,911 Times in 957 Posts
Nicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant future

Therapy.

I realize this is a very short answer to a complicated question but everybody is different and thus need to be treated differently. Start some kind of therapy that suits you and get the ball rolling. A good therapist can help you come to terms with your past and learn to accept it.
Old 01-30-14, 03:19 PM

Thanked 5,927 Times in 2,453 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Therapists are the shamans of our age......

Initiation for a bloke happens when the therapist hands them the ritual box of tissues.
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (01-31-14)
Old 01-30-14, 03:24 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,930 Times in 9,007 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post
Therapists are the shamans of our age......

Initiation for a bloke happens when the therapist hands them the ritual box of tissues.

The tissue budget at the therapists I've been to must have taken quite a hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (01-31-14)
Old 01-30-14, 06:04 PM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Why the tissues?
Old 01-30-14, 06:45 PM

Thanked 5,927 Times in 2,453 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Every psychotherapist will have two things in their therapy room.... a clock and a box of tissues.

Guys don't cry....

therefore the point a guy is handed the tissues is significant
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
someothertime (01-31-14)
Old 01-31-14, 10:27 AM

Thanked 3,306 Times in 1,304 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I would describe it as broken. A feeling of being different or not fitting in with the rest of the world is more of a lonely, hopeless feeling. It can have devastating affects on people with this disorder.

I was diagnosed at 6yrs old, I'm 50 this year, I have taken medicine most all my life.

It doesn't bother me one bit. I'm healthy, mentally and physically, I'm in control of my life, and more importantly I have AD(H)D, but I no longer suffer from it.

That's just my experience!

"You can complain that rose bushes have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorn bushes have roses!"

Perspective!
Old 02-01-14, 12:05 AM

Thanked 7,901 Times in 4,068 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I think the medication broke me. That count?
Old 02-01-14, 06:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road

well I was never diagnosed that young...i had behavior problems since kindergarden..which IMO were unrelated to ADD but who knows could have played a part...also in my opinion kids aren't aloud to be kids anymore...the times have changed and our mental/physical selves have not had time to catch up nor has society. Off topic maybe...but somewhat related...not going to explain it because its 2am...and i wake in 5 hours..(diagnosed with anger management in kindergarten, then adhd in 7th grade...didn't take medications until 17-18...for scientific and personal reasons)

I wake up everyday and hate to take a pill...I have always disliked stimulants...I dislike the modern society....I feel I must due to a long strain of failures must now take this medication in order to moderately or nearly stay on task in accordance with what the rest of the world is doing...in a different time who knows...but this is the time I live so it is futile that I adapt in order to get some resemblance of what I want out of life regardless of the times I live in..

I guess some solace I have found is that most people are "broken" and struggle day to day...so in that I am just as everyone else...just trying to get by one day at a time.