ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-26-16, 08:53 PM

Its.huilin is on a distinguished road
Do I have ADHD/ADD or am I just lazy and unmotivated ?

I always feel very unmotivated when I do things that do not interest me, mostly homework. I can't seem to pay attention in class for the life of me. When I was little I used to get good grades all the time, all A's up to eighth grade. Now in my sophomore year in high school things have been going down hill.

No matter how much I study I would stop in the first fifteen minutes to "get back to it". And once I'm finished studying I'm confident to have memorized everything (I also study last minute, the day before and sometimes even the period before the class in which I have the test in) I'm not sure if this is bad or not. Yet when I get the tests back I would have numerous small mistakes on questions that I know I understand, those mistakes end up costing me two grade levels.

In class if I really want to learn something I can concentrate for the most part but only after I've failed many tests.

Same with working on a project. I'm only motivated to finish it after I start it, otherwise if I put it off I'll never get to it. I would have weeks to work on it only to do it on the day before.

I'm always losing things whether it's my retainer, a pencil, my transpass, erasers, clothes, glasses, etc. I also forget many things. I would walk into a room only to forget what I was going to do or I would forget where my classrooms are and zone off while I'm walking to my next class deep in thought.

In class I cannot sit still I'm always shaking my leg or drumming my fingers, talking to people around me, or talking to myself. I feel so frustrated because

I'm always telling myself that if I had just tried harder then none of it would have happened. I used to be interested in reading and drawing but now I dread do either of them. I was supposed to be finished this book for English three weeks ago but never "got to it".

Music helps my distract my mind and soothes it while I dread doing anything. If I'm doing chores it's even worse. I clean my room, lay around for an hour, clean the next room, my mom yells at me, lay around for another other, and then so on.

I'm constantly late no matter how much I time myself on how long I should take to get ready . I time myself doing homework and make lists, down to the check boxes, but never fully complete anything.

I'm definitely sensitive to a point and I get really wild mood swings. Sometimes I forget what I was about to say, or I catch myself from saying something I shouldn't say. And if I don't , I end up making really rude remarks and saying things unfit for certain situations. For gods sake my teachers wife died of cancer and I regret being so disrespectful.

Weird things bother me. Though I'm so disorganized I feel as like once I get a job done nobody else can do it as perfectly as me. The way certain things have to be done (when I actually get my butt up to do them) have to be perfect. It's like weird OCD. From the way I brush my teeth to how I take care of myself in general and how I do things in school and out side. It's like I'm laser focused.

I just want things to go back to how they were in middle school , but I'm unsure on whether or not my personality and me as an individual is just ridiculously flawed and I'm self diagnosing or if I actually have a problem . Please help thanks
Old 02-26-16, 09:40 PM
Minecraft Mod-rater

Thanked 1,106 Times in 587 Posts
TurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to all
Re: Do I have ADHD/ADD or am I just lazy and unmotivated ?

Welcome to the forum.

Have you talked to a doctor about it yet? Seeing a doctor is the only way to get an official diagnosis. Once diagnosed, you could ask the school if there accommodations or a way you get extra help. When I was in high school, tutoring helped me keep my grades up in math, something I struggled with alot.

Also, once you get meds, your can arrange for the nurse to give them to you during the school day.

Last edited by TurtleBrain; 02-27-16 at 08:06 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to TurtleBrain For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-26-16)