ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-17, 07:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,827 Times in 11,998 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Restless leg syndrome

How do you deal with it? In the moment?

It drives me so crazy especially when I can't move. I makes me want to cry..well I did cry a bit a few days ago. It seems like such a stupid thing bit it's so freaking unpleasant.
Old 03-14-17, 09:21 PM

Thanked 16,348 Times in 8,772 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restless leg syndrome

My mum swore by the bar of soap at the end of her bed thing...

I'm sorry, Geodon did it to me and it was horribly painful. Nothing I know of helps it except for me, except not taking Geodon.

I've never had it otherwise and I really don't ever want to experience it again.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969

Last edited by Little Missy; 03-14-17 at 09:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 09:34 PM

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,506 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

It is SO AWFUL! Like your own body is not under your control!

Besides getting up and walking around, nothing works for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-14-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-17, 12:05 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I always get it when I'm tired. Too tired to move so I mostly just sit there throwing my arms and legs about, thrashing about like a fish out of water.

Or the worst..me hen I'm feeding fuzzling amd can't move really.maybe I need more iron.
Old 03-15-17, 08:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

ajaxblu has a spectacular aura aboutajaxblu has a spectacular aura about

So this is an ADHD thing, too? I just thought it was me being weird but I guess it's ingrained. Unless I'm misunderstanding... Are you referring to the need to move your legs or feet around while sitting still or lying in bed?

If so... If I'm stuck in a meeting or a class I try to kind of stretch my muscles while keeping my legs and arms still - kind of an alternate stretch. The feeling of needing to move definitely makes it harder to pay attention to what's being said and I can only sit there so long before I find an excuse to get up. In meetings, I try not to get there early so I have an excuse to stand in the back.

If I'm in bed and trying not to wake my husband, I try to control the need to move - but then it makes me feel confined and slightly claustrophobic. I can do this for a short time and then I have to get up and sleep on the couch so I can move as much as I want. This doesn't happen to me 100% of the time so I don't know what causes it sometimes and not others.

Or are you referring to doing this subconsciously in your sleep? My husband does that sometimes and it drives me insane. Like once a minute or so he'll move his legs. It'll only last for a couple of seconds, but it takes my mind a while to settle down from that movement. By the time I can stop thinking about it and start to calm down so I can try to sleep, he does it again. So once again, I go sleep on the couch (just like when he snores or breathes ) - otherwise there will be no sleep for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajaxblu For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-15-17)
Old 03-15-17, 11:21 AM

I don't get it while sleeping. It happens mostly when I'm tired. Going to bed, somewhere I can stretch, usually helps.

I can't sit for very long either (and i can't stand still at all. Need to pace.) I feel rls is slightly different though. For me it's much much much more intensive and much more unpleasant. I feel as if I absolutely have to move or my head will explode.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 05:50 AM

dogsrus is on a distinguished road

i swear to god, this may sound absolutely bonkers, but having an orgasm actually helps. not trolling, it actually works and they did a study on it as well lol
The Following User Says Thank You to dogsrus For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 12:32 PM

Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsrus View Post
i swear to god, this may sound absolutely bonkers, but having an orgasm actually helps. not trolling, it actually works and they did a study on it as well lol
I SOOOOOOO wish this was true.

I can confirm that it does NOT.
Fuzzy12 (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxblu View Post
So this is an ADHD thing, too? I just thought it was me being weird but I guess it's ingrained. Unless I'm misunderstanding... Are you referring to the need to move your legs or feet around while sitting still or lying in bed?

If so... If I'm stuck in a meeting or a class I try to kind of stretch my muscles while keeping my legs and arms still - kind of an alternate stretch. The feeling of needing to move definitely makes it harder to pay attention to what's being said and I can only sit there so long before I find an excuse to get up. In meetings, I try not to get there early so I have an excuse to stand in the back.

If I'm in bed and trying not to wake my husband, I try to control the need to move - but then it makes me feel confined and slightly claustrophobic. I can do this for a short time and then I have to get up and sleep on the couch so I can move as much as I want. This doesn't happen to me 100% of the time so I don't know what causes it sometimes and not others.

Or are you referring to doing this subconsciously in your sleep? My husband does that sometimes and it drives me insane. Like once a minute or so he'll move his legs. It'll only last for a couple of seconds, but it takes my mind a while to settle down from that movement. By the time I can stop thinking about it and start to calm down so I can try to sleep, he does it again. So once again, I go sleep on the couch (just like when he snores or breathes ) - otherwise there will be no sleep for me.

Restless leg syndrome is:

"Approximately one in ten adult Americans suffer from Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS), also known as Willis-Ekbom Disease. This sleep-related movement disorder is known best for its overwhelming and often unpleasant urges to move the legs while at rest."

It is an unbearable, uncontrollable urge to move your legs. It drives you BONKERS.
Fuzzy12 (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 10:52 PM

33Forward will become famous soon enough

I used to get this pretty often. It makes you loose your mind. Ever since I've been taking magnesium on a regular basis for migraines (which it has cut back, a lot), my RLS seems to be only barely noticeable, on the rare occasion I do get any.

One thing that would help, when I used to get it pretty bad, was to use something topical and menthol based. I used to swear by tiger balm. Now I have this stuff called "Perform", which is a roll-on pain relief tube. It has a lot of menthol in it, but a lot of essential oils that really make a difference. Roll some of that stuff on your calves, the back of your knee, and down by your ankles as well.

I know some people swear by mag oil (pure magnesium oil) and rubbing it into the back of your leg helps with the nerve and muscle spasms.
(not Einstein, as some believe)
"Right now...time is having its way with you." -Van Halen

"It is the same with people as it is with riding a bike. Only when moving can one comfortably maintain one's balance." -Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 33Forward For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-21-17), Luvmybully (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 10:55 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 16,646 Times in 7,954 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

For me, clonidine has really taken the edge off this.

(In our house, we've nicknamed it "anti-kick-kick-kick" medication. Because we're mature that way. )

I do still toss and turn a lot, and need to move my legs, but it's less urgent and uncomfortable and disruptive.

For what it's worth, there are several studies suggesting that RLS is more common in ADHD (or vice-versa?), possibly due to some shared pathways related to dopamine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-21-17), Luvmybully (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 06:35 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of light

Weighted blankets are supposed to help with this....I know for the mild case I have it seems to work. I jerk my legs and wake up from almost being asleep, just like a young puppy appears to be walking in its dreams sometime. Worse when stressed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-21-17), namazu (03-21-17)
Old 03-22-17, 11:09 AM

Lifestar is on a distinguished road

Mine is pretty much when I sleep. Had a sleep study and didn't even know my leg was ticking a couple hundred times a night. Found a mix of ropineral and klonopin really helped. Not perfect. When I would get a minor wakeful urge to move my legs, the orgasm thing did actually help. I think it relaxes your muscles enough to help. But like I said, the wakeful urges to move my legs were minor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lifestar For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17, 05:01 PM

broidley is on a distinguished road

I've had it for years. My sleep apnea Dr believes that RLS is a result of my moderate sleep apnea. I'm hoping my cpap machine will do the trick. RLS Stinks.
The Following User Says Thank You to broidley For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-22-17)
Old 03-24-17, 09:58 AM

icantbelive93 is on a distinguished road

Like one user above me wrote tiger balm is amazing. I don't have RLS (my dad has it though) but I have this weird restlessness in my right but lol and when it gets really bad I apply red tiger balm and it really helps. It has a cooling effect. Also maybe heat?