ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-17, 12:56 PM

fisherfisher will become famous soon enough
Productivity and Emotional State

What are some of your strategies for managing distraction and productivity when you're also upset about something?

If my mood and emotional state is neutral most of my usual strategies work but if I'm upset, mad, sad, excited, or anything else I'm almost incapable of being productive. Example, last night my therapist ticked me off and I'm still mad about it today. Its now almost 10am and all I accomplished today was eating, getting dressed, and walking down to the shop. Normally if I have a billable job I've got a solid 2-3 hours of billable labor by this time of day. If it wasn't a work day I'd be missing out on projects I need to finish around the house.

I get up and start to work, get frustrated because the job I'm working on requires concentration, then mess around on the internet for a hour before trying again. I can't stop dwelling on how mad I am and I do this all the time.

What strategies do you have for getting past emotions so you can be productive?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fisherfisher For This Useful Post:
Jenn1202 (03-25-17), mildadhd (03-16-17), namazu (03-16-17), OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-16-17, 01:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,348 Times in 8,772 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Productivity and Emotional State

I cry, walk around in circles, snort and stomp, get in a time warp over brushing my teeth, and do nothing aimlessly.

Quit letting a therapist get to you!

Sounds easy but is/was it worth it?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-16-17), mildadhd (03-16-17), Pilgrim (03-17-17)
Old 03-16-17, 01:13 PM

Thanked 5,002 Times in 2,477 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm furious about many things at the moment. It zaps all of my time and energy. I live a life led by emotion. Nothing else exists outside my little emotional bubble.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-16-17), Little Missy (03-16-17), mildadhd (03-16-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-17, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I cry, walk around in circles, snort and stomp, get in a time warp over brushing my teeth, and do nothing aimlessly.

Quit letting a therapist get to you!

Sounds easy but is/was it worth it?
When you say time warp are you talking about when you continue doing something past completion because you're distracted? I do that with washing dishes all the time.

Isn't it her job to get to me in a way? Am I therapying wrong? God I hope so because then I could call her a b**** and walk away without feeling like I'm messing up my chances of getting better. I don't actually think she's a b I just want the satisfaction of calling her that.
Old 03-16-17, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
I'm furious about many things at the moment. It zaps all of my time and energy. I live a life led by emotion. Nothing else exists outside my little emotional bubble.
So true. Interestingly enough even though I have intense emotions on the inside which run my life at times most people only see two emotions on the outside, anger and happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to fisherfisher For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (03-16-17)
Old 03-16-17, 01:49 PM

Thanked 5,002 Times in 2,477 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherfisher View Post
So true. Interestingly enough even though I have intense emotions on the inside which run my life at times most people only see two emotions on the outside, anger and happy.
Well at least you have the addition of happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-16-17)
Old 03-16-17, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Well at least you have the addition of happy.
Well how else am I supposed to convince people I'm as fun and cool as I think I am?
Old 03-16-17, 03:10 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When you say time warp are you talking about when you continue doing something past completion because you're distracted? I do that with washing dishes all the time.

Isn't it her job to get to me in a way? Am I therapying wrong? God I hope so because then I could call her a b**** and walk away without feeling like I'm messing up my chances of getting better. I don't actually think she's a b I just want the satisfaction of calling her that.
Yes, distracted time warps over anything, I just threw in brushing my teeth as an example.

I am not a therapy advocate. Period. But there are many people on here that do very well with it so don't make any decisions because of me.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-16-17, 03:37 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,344 Times in 8,652 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I get much more thrown off course by emotions than the average person. It also takes me longer to return to my usual function. My main strategies are ( a ) to restructure my entire life in order to make this OK, and ( b ) if necessary, to run away and hide until I feel better.

That last one may sound ridiculous or unworkable, but in fact it's what I do.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
julialouise (03-16-17), Little Missy (03-16-17), OhLookABunny (03-22-17), stef (03-16-17)
Old 03-16-17, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I get much more thrown off course by emotions than the average person. It also takes me longer to return to my usual function. My main strategies are ( a ) to restructure my entire life in order to make this OK, and ( b ) if necessary, to run away and hide until I feel better.

That last one may sound ridiculous or unworkable, but in fact it's what I do.
Yes! I forgot the runaway and hide part.

The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (03-19-17)
Old 03-16-17, 04:52 PM

Yes I'm a runner too. Except you can't always run and at some point the running starts to damage your life and relationships. Therapy is helping overall I just want to call her some creatively mean names right now. Probably because she said something which I know is true but don't want to deal with. Therapists
The Following User Says Thank You to fisherfisher For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-16-17, 06:39 PM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes therapists who aren't completely familiar with ADHD can give bad advice.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-17-17), OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-16-17, 08:44 PM

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What are some of your strategies for managing distraction and productivity when you're also upset about something?

If my mood and emotional state is neutral most of my usual strategies work but if I'm upset, mad, sad, excited, or anything else I'm almost incapable of being productive. Example, last night my therapist ticked me off and I'm still mad about it today. Its now almost 10am and all I accomplished today was eating, getting dressed, and walking down to the shop. Normally if I have a billable job I've got a solid 2-3 hours of billable labor by this time of day. If it wasn't a work day I'd be missing out on projects I need to finish around the house.

I get up and start to work, get frustrated because the job I'm working on requires concentration, then mess around on the internet for a hour before trying again. I can't stop dwelling on how mad I am and I do this all the time.

What strategies do you have for getting past emotions so you can be productive?
Understanding the emotional states really helps.

There are only 7 primary emotional states

(Emotional states are never neutral. At least one emotional state is always being stimulated)

If I am emotionally distressed (Stimulated bad feelings originating from either one or combination of the RAGE, FEAR, GRIEF emotional states) I find it really hard to concentrate, and much less productive.

When I am not emotionally distressed (Stimulated good feelings originating from either one or combination of the SEEKING, CARE, PLAY emotional states) I can concentrate easier and am much more productive.

When I feel bad it can seem impossible to feel good.

Until I solve the problem.

Emotional states all evolved through movements.

I find walking really helps.

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-16-17 at 09:04 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-17-17)
Old 03-16-17, 08:56 PM

Thanked 2,089 Times in 967 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great question.

You know, if I'm upset with something the therapist said, I will schedule another meeting (as in a second session in the same week). I do this if the therapist himself made me upset. I also do this if an issue came up in session that really triggered me.

When I know I need to deal with the issue myself, then writing in my journal and doing some cognitive therapy self-talk can help. The problem is that it really takes energy to do the journaling to pick apart what I'm feeling, what I'm assuming, what I'm so upset about. The real trick of CBT, in my view, is that I cannot b.s. my way out of a deep troubling emotion. Positive thinking won't shift me out of the troubled state.

It's more like being my own high-powered defense attorney, who takes every self-accusation or every thought that I'm catastrophically injured or that my life is horrible ... and then chips away at that thought--just as a defense attorney would cross-examine a witness.

If I stay with this process, there usually comes a moment when I feel a pop! An emotional shift, like a bolt of electricity. That means my new thinking is rigorous enough and emotionally soothing enough to quiet that original troubling thinking.

A few months ago, I had to do this process after a woman I really liked rejected me and told me of some negative feelings that she hadn't shared with me before. I felt like she had been misleading me for going on a year.

Took a couple of hours of journaling and thinking to pop out of that upset.

But don't get me wrong: sometimes I simply stew in my feelings or get lost in a true-crime show.

Tone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-17-17), mildadhd (03-16-17)
Old 03-16-17, 09:15 PM
Mr. BllVt

I think there are a lot of benefits and some strong reasoning behind retreating when overwhelmed.

I don't think it's a relationship problem at all, in itself.

The problems for employment and for relationships are IMO things that can happen at the same time, but they don't need to happen.

- forgetting to come back (may sound stupid but I've certainly done it)

- miscommunication about the nature of the retreating behaviour

- others misunderstanding the purpose of retreating

- denial and/or hostility from others (which also has led to my becoming reluctant to return to the person in question)

- developing feelings of guilt or shame (whether brought on by self or others) over needing to do this

- developing bad "add-on habits" - retreating and then also doing something unhealthy or unhelpful

... There are probably more.

At some level, this issue can sometimes be nothing more than claiming permission to be an introvert, though there's often more to it than that. Wanting to deny someone this option is (to me anyway) certainly misguided and often cruel.

Having both a spouse and a boss who take my occasional need to retreat as just part of who I am, and who recognize that I need this, it's good for me, good for our relationship, and that I'm coming back, has made a world of difference in my life.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-16-17), fisherfisher (03-17-17), mildadhd (03-16-17), OhLookABunny (03-22-17)