ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-17, 09:20 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,566 Times in 8,789 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Productivity and Emotional State

"Positive thinking" presumes that one's former thinking (supposedly negative, obviously) was mistaken.

It's bad to correct yourself, if you were right in the first place.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 03-16-17, 10:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherfisher View Post
What strategies do you have for getting past emotions so you can be productive?
This is a really great question.

-awareness that I have deficits of emotional-self-regulation
-non distressed emotional environment
-walking
-figuring out why I got mad
-methyphenidate
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-17-17)
Old 03-17-17, 12:27 AM

fisherfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
Wow, great question.

It's more like being my own high-powered defense attorney, who takes every self-accusation or every thought that I'm catastrophically injured or that my life is horrible ... and then chips away at that thought--just as a defense attorney would cross-examine a witness.

Tone
Really interesting comparison. I'm just learning these skills, within the past 4 weeks so it still isn't natural to me but you're right about this. Challenging the thoughts which lead to my emotion seems to work some of the time. The more I thought about it today the more I thought 'no I'm not actually mad at her or what she said, I'm disappointed with myself' (in this case because she pointed out a behavior I've been justifying when it is in fact destructive to my goals). That sets off another cycle of emotion but its a movement away from something very unproductive and toward change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fisherfisher For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (03-22-17), ToneTone (03-18-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-17, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I think there are a lot of benefits and some strong reasoning behind retreating when overwhelmed.
Yes you are so right. I should clarify taking a break, walking away to calm down and regroup, that can be a very good thing. When I talk about 'running' I'm talking about the times I've skipped town and abandoned my family for weeks or times when I'm doing the 'add on' behaviors you mentioned.
Old 03-17-17, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Understanding the emotional states really helps.

(Emotional states are never neutral. At least one emotional state is always being stimulated)

Yes you're right. I meant neutral as in calm, content, happy but not over excited or highly playful. Have you ever seen the feeling wheel by Dr Gloria Wilcox? You might be interested in if if you haven't seen it before. It really helped me expand my emotional vocab when before all I had was happy, angry, and sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to fisherfisher For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-20-17)
Old 03-17-17, 12:41 AM

Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like alot of people use walking to help. Figuring out what my anger was and was not, dissecting it, and trying to move on physically helped alot. I also shot some clays this afternoon so of course that blew off some of the steam so that I could get my head clear enough to really think it through
Old 03-17-17, 01:40 AM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I have in the past wanted to do that (skip town etc) but never did. For me, that desire is gone, but I have sometimes entered a sort of communication shutdown which has more or less the same effect. (Suddenly not reading/listening to messages, not returning calls, not saying why, avoiding anyone who might try to reach me in person, and so on).

Fear is the reason. Or shame, or both. I can't tell which.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-17-17), OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-17-17, 10:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,076 Times in 12,086 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What are some of your strategies for managing distraction and productivity when you're also upset about something?

If my mood and emotional state is neutral most of my usual strategies work but if I'm upset, mad, sad, excited, or anything else I'm almost incapable of being productive. Example, last night my therapist ticked me off and I'm still mad about it today. Its now almost 10am and all I accomplished today was eating, getting dressed, and walking down to the shop. Normally if I have a billable job I've got a solid 2-3 hours of billable labor by this time of day. If it wasn't a work day I'd be missing out on projects I need to finish around the house.

I get up and start to work, get frustrated because the job I'm working on requires concentration, then mess around on the internet for a hour before trying again. I can't stop dwelling on how mad I am and I do this all the time.

One thing that works for me is to weigh the importance of spending energy on being angry vs letting something go. Dont get me wrong, I allow myself to feel the anger, but letting go of it asap because I dont see how anger helps much and most times doesnt change anything to begin with.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-17-17), Little Missy (03-17-17), ToneTone (03-17-17)
Old 03-17-17, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Fear is the reason. Or shame, or both. I can't tell which.
Yes exactly. Sometimes one or the either. Usually both.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fisherfisher For This Useful Post:
dvdnvwls (03-17-17), Little Missy (03-17-17)
Old 03-17-17, 05:22 PM
Mr. BllVt

At least part of my fear and shame relates to people finding out just how "messed up" (both figuratively and literally) I am.

I know that that can be straight-up egotistical, and yet I think there's a lot more to it. The ways in which I've often been treated differently after people find out "that stuff" are not things I'd prefer to repeat, and in that context I do think keeping some problems to myself is justified.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-17-17), OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-18-17, 01:32 AM

Quote:
At least part of my fear and shame relates to people finding out just how "messed up" (both figuratively and literally) I am.

I know that that can be straight-up egotistical, and yet I think there's a lot more to it. The ways in which I've often been treated differently after people find out "that stuff" are not things I'd prefer to repeat, and in that context I do think keeping some problems to myself is justified.
I think its pretty natural to not want people to know those things. That doesn't seem egotistical. You want people to think the best of you and thats just human nature.
OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-18-17, 12:11 PM
Jr Member

MissAnnThrope has a spectacular aura aboutMissAnnThrope has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
What are some of your strategies for managing distraction and productivity when you're also upset about something?

If my mood and emotional state is neutral most of my usual strategies work but if I'm upset, mad, sad, excited, or anything else I'm almost incapable of being productive. Example, last night my therapist ticked me off and I'm still mad about it today.

If you feel safe enough to share it, I am really curious about what your therapist said/did to upset you? Was it something stupid? (It happens ... finding the right "fit" with a therapist is hard, hard, hard ...).

Or did s/he hit upon something that challenged the way you see or think about yourself, or perhaps uncovered an unpleasant truth that was/is hard to accept?

As for dealing with the exhausting spiral of anxiety that the incident provoked: it sounds too simple, but for me, deep breathing works. Through the nose, then gently through the mouth. As many times as it takes. Closing the eyes while doing it is sometimes helpful too (although awkward when in public - )

I hate yoga, but for some reason this helps. I think because conciously performing a physical activity reminds me I am in control of *something.*

Anxiety comes in many forms - fear disguised as rage is one. And fear is the result of a perceived loss of control?

So getting control of breathing is a first step ... and then pretty soon I feel a little more "in control" of my emotions. Not completely, but enough to try and start rationally processing whatever it is that is upsetting me.

And when that doesn't work, Xanax or a glass of wine help too ... (only as prescribed, and always in moderation ....)

There are some apps that I have found pretty useful for relaxation in general (I'm sure this is not new to anyone): "At Ease" and "Simply Being." And there are plenty more out there, as your favorite web search engine will tell you.

Good luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissAnnThrope For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-19-17), mildadhd (03-18-17), OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-19-17, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnnThrope View Post
If you feel safe enough to share it, I am really curious about what your therapist said/did to upset you? Was it something stupid? (It happens ... finding the right "fit" with a therapist is hard, hard, hard ...).
Good points in your post. For some reason I never seem to get the hang of breathing to relax.

What she said is tough reality for me to take. The kind of problem you know is true but want to justify. Part of the reason I wanted to take it out on her is that she vibes as if she is very religious (and she might be) so anything related to my less morally acceptable behaviors leaves me feeling judged. I'm still trying to figure out if I have accurate spidey senses or if I'm being oversensitive.
OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-20-17, 02:44 AM
Mr. BllVt

If you are not a religious person, having a therapist who is religious is fine - but having one with religious judgments or a religious agenda is not fine at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 06:30 PM

Quote:
If you are not a religious person, having a therapist who is religious is fine - but having one with religious judgments or a religious agenda is not fine at all.
I know. I've been agonizing over it all weekend because I can't decide if I'm being oversensitive or if she truly is having some personal judgement and I'm just picking up on it. I should bring it up, but I hesitate because I don't really want to know. If I find out she is very religious then our relationship is done and she's a good therapist when it comes to other things.