ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-20-17, 03:03 PM

UnanimousUser is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Adderall has caused some scary side effects!

Sorry for the length. So I have been taking adderall for about seven months now. Up until this past month I've never had adverse effects like mania, erectile dysfunction, jitters, flushed face and red patches on my arms (likely rashes), and paradoxical effects. I will note that recently my sleep schedule has been unhealthy, last night I slept for a total of 16 hours and was a awake for two days prior that. I would surmise that the sleep deprivation be cause for these unwanted affects, but the mania and erectile dysfunction occurred when I was completely healthy. I was convinced I had bipolar, because i have never experienced mania/hypomania before.

I have had a few people tell me it was most likely amphetamine psychosis. The only reason I'm convinced it wasn't psychosis is because I have been there. In December of last year I was getting caught up with the wrong people and ended up giving in and used street speed. I ended up staying up for about a week and then I lost my marbles and went full blown psychosis. Scariest thing to ever happen to me. The way I would describe mania/hypomania extreme euphoria, thoughts going 100mph, inability to stop talking, erratic ideas, and insomnia even if i didn't redose. Fortunatly the mania hasn't made a return in about a week.

But my adderall is absolutely useless, so today I decided to double my dose and take 40mg of ER. Obviously that was not a brilliant idea, today I'm feeling paradoxical effects, swelling in my face (looks like I'm bloating), flushed face, what looks like rashes on my arms, loss of coordination. At this point I'm content with stopping of this medication. I know the first option should be to call the doc but the doc here in town is just a pill mill and has no knowledge of any medications he prescribes. I feel like other ADD/ADHD individuals may be able to help me understand my situation.
Old 03-20-17, 03:16 PM
Banned

Postulate is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Adderall has caused some scary side effects!

It's not amphetamine psychosis, just mania because you have too much dopamine. Has your doctor considered Strattera instead? It's an ADHD medication that does not increase dopamine.

Also, I don't think you're qualified to increase or decrease your daily dose so I urge you to speak to your doctor before making any modifications.
Old 03-20-17, 03:37 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Your doctor needs to know the entire story including the full details of what happened in December.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Your doctor needs to know the entire story including the full details of what happened in December.
His doctor doesn't need to know that. The only thing his doctor needs to know is how his patient is reacting to his prescribed medication. His abuse did not cause any permanent damage and it's none of his doctor's business.
Old 03-20-17, 03:51 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 18,089 Times in 10,392 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post
His doctor doesn't need to know that. The only thing his doctor needs to know is how his patient is reacting to his prescribed medication. His abuse did not cause any permanent damage and it's none of his doctor's business.
His doctor does need to know about it because how else is the doctor going to be able to help him if he doesn't know everything?
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
All paranoia can go fart in the litter tray.
Old 03-20-17, 03:57 PM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

A person who has had very serious and very recent problems with binge use of a drug that's related to the one being prescribed? That is 100% the doctor's business.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 03-20-17, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
A person who has had very serious and very recent problems with binge use of a drug that's related to the one being prescribed? That is 100% the doctor's business.
The doctor is a busy person, he has to factor in many things into a treatment. The attitude of the 4 y.o. child running to his mom crying because he did something bad is not something any doctor should have to deal with. He's an adult, he drugged his head and bared the consequences.

His doctor needs to know important things like hereditary illnesses, family history, blood test results, medication etc. He doesn't need to know what goes on in his household. That's his privacy. It's intimate and no one should know it.

Last edited by namazu; 03-20-17 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: etiquette
Old 03-20-17, 04:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swissy is a jewel in the roughSwissy is a jewel in the roughSwissy is a jewel in the rough

Swelling can be an indication of high blood pressure. At the very least you should go to a pharmacy or store with one of those bp monitoring machines, a friend of mine just went through this as a s/e of adderall when her doctor upped her dose of XR. He warned her that she had to stop adderall until her bp was under control or it could be deadly.
Old 03-20-17, 04:27 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 18,089 Times in 10,392 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The doctor is a busy person, he has to factor in many things into a treatment. The attitude of the 4 y.o. child running to his mom crying because he did something bad is not something any doctor should have to deal with. He's an adult, he drugged his head and bared the consequences. There will be no crying about it nor going to the confession on Sunday.

His doctor needs to know important things like hereditary illnesses, family history, blood test results, medication etc. He doesn't need to know what goes on in his household. That's his privacy. It's intimate and no one should know it.
The doctor should know about it, yes the doctor is busy but in order to get the best treatment, the doctor needs to know as much as possible, including if medications have ever been used wrongly so the doctor can give the appropriate help.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
All paranoia can go fart in the litter tray.
Old 03-20-17, 04:52 PM
Mr. BllVt

While it's true that the doctor doesn't need to know what kind of movies his ADHD patient likes, or whether the patient's patio umbrella is in good condition, recent bingeing on a drug related to the one being prescribed is not a "household" or private matter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (03-20-17), Swissy (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 05:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swissy is a jewel in the roughSwissy is a jewel in the roughSwissy is a jewel in the rough

Doctors standard questions include whether or not their patient has ever abused drugs or used hem recreationally. It could help them diagnosis and administer treatment.
Old 03-20-17, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
The doctor should know about it, yes the doctor is busy but in order to get the best treatment, the doctor needs to know as much as possible, including if medications have ever been used wrongly so the doctor can give the appropriate help.
He can go to a rehab that provides absolute confidentiality if he ever needs help. His dignity and reputation is in play, and the cons of having a drug addict medical file is far worse than the risk of abusing his medication in the future.
Old 03-20-17, 05:38 PM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
... the cons of having a drug addict medical file is far worse than the risk of abusing his medication in the future.
You know what? A drug addict should have a drug addict medical file. Sorry to disappoint you.
Old 03-20-17, 06:55 PM

UnanimousUser is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the replies. That horrible experience in December was last and only time I've stooped to such lows. My sister is an addict and she's only seventeen, that's how I was introduced. I don't have an addictive personality (if that's even a thing). I quit adderall cold turkey when I was 13 after 2 years. I Increased my own dose like uneducated idiot. I'm thinking of non stimulant meds, namely provigal. Would anyone happen to know if it has promising effects?
Old 03-20-17, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnanimousUser View Post
Thank you for the replies. That horrible experience in December was last and only time I've stooped to such lows. My sister is an addict and she's only seventeen, that's how I was introduced. I don't have an addictive personality (if that's even a thing). I quit adderall cold turkey when I was 13 after 2 years. I Increased my own dose like uneducated idiot. I'm thinking of non stimulant meds, namely provigal. Would anyone happen to know if it has promising effects?
Modafinil is great, Straterra would be another good one. You don't seem to tolerate dopamine agents very well. I wouldn't discard stimulants all together so fast, only those that raise dopamine.