ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Psychotics
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-16, 10:36 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Abilify and akathisia--- what instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i41agree View Post
I've never heard of anyone taking Abilify for anxiety before.
If I were you I would ask the doctor to confirm that he/she prescribed you Abilify to treat anxiety as an off-label use.
If you're just looking for other novel/interesting options for anxiety, do some research on Lyrica.
Abilify is indeed often prescribed off-label for anxiety

Propranolol helps feelings of inner restlessness ( always make an inquiry with your physician)

It is a very unique neuroleptic because it augments dopamine in some areas of the brain, and decreases in other areas

Is a partial D2 agonist
And also a partial 5HTA 1a agonist
The Following User Says Thank You to wonderboy For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (06-13-16)
Old 11-08-17, 03:53 PM

Happy! is on a distinguished road
Re: Abilify and akathisia--- what instead?

Pristiq works good for me. I was on a Lexapro and Seroquel combo a while back but I became extremely apathetic. I think it was the Lexapro. Seroquel is good for anxiety but it can be separating and give you the munchies. An ssri or snri might really help you! I was on ability 5 mg and got extreme and constant and horrific akathesia so I can relate to you there. There are other antipsychotics you might try though. The atypical seem to be better as they have less side effects. Vraylar and rexulti are similar to abilify. Vraylar hasn't ever given me akathesia but I've never tried rexulti. Visteral is ok but a bit sedating. Propranonal is a good one but probably if you take it with another med too. Really there are so many anxiety meds, it just depends which one works for you. It may take some trial and error to find the right one. Good luck and keep us posted as to how things go for you.