ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 06-11-18, 05:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,186 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adult onset adhd

Here's a question. What if they misdiagnose early onset dementia as late onset adhd. What if it's a brain tumor. What if it's another chronic illness they miss. My adhd is worse now that I have fibro. It's called fibro fog. It presents like adhd but it's not. Giving stimulants to fibro patients doesn't always work out that well. That's why I am no longer on meds
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18), Lunacie (06-11-18), mildadhd (06-12-18)
Old 06-11-18, 06:38 PM

Thanked 25,987 Times in 12,126 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

tudorose

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18), tudorose (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 07:06 PM

Thanked 1,239 Times in 935 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

The topics are complex.

Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is sometimes referred to in discussions as causation factor for AD(H)D.

I sometimes wonder if a TBI resulting in symptoms similar to AD(H)D, due to TBI, should be considered a type of AD(H)D, or a different health issue that mimics AD(H)D?

But then I wonder if the age the TBI occurred is a factor?

Example, if the TBI occurred in childhood, does the TBI also chronically distress normal early neurodevelopment?

M
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-18, 07:11 PM

Thanked 30,278 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Here's a question. What if they misdiagnose early onset dementia as late onset adhd. What if it's a brain tumor. What if it's another chronic illness they miss. My adhd is worse now that I have fibro. It's called fibro fog. It presents like adhd but it's not. Giving stimulants to fibro patients doesn't always work out that well. That's why I am no longer on meds
1. Yes, it's important to figure out if something else is causing the symptoms and the article mentions that as one of the points (point two I believe in the list of possible reasons for why people might present with ADHD symptoms only as adults)

2. It's possible that this is just the situation in the UK or maybe even just my perception but I really doubt that many people are evaluated that thoroughly. If it's difficult to get diagnosed with ADHD it's probably nearly impossible to get a proper evaluation and diagnosis for fibromyalgia. None of the psychiatrists I've seen at least ever considered doing any further testing or scans to check eg for a brain tumour. It was always "probably just depression". I wonder how many cases of fibro or brain tumours, etc are missed because people got wrongly diagnosed with ADHD instead.

3. The possibility of ADHD symptoms being caused in some people by fibro, brain tumours etc does not mean that there can't be another disorder that causes similar symptoms and that does respond to the same treatment (ie stimulants). If I remember right the article did mention that the people who were diagnosed with adult ADHD responsed well to ADHD treatment.

4 I think it's worth investigating if there is another disorder that mimics ADHD (maybe has the same pathology) but is not neuro developmental.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (08-10-18), namazu (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 07:17 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
The topics are complex.

Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is sometimes referred to in discussions as causation factor for AD(H)D.

I sometimes wonder if a TBI resulting in symptoms similar to AD(H)D, due to TBI, should be considered a type of AD(H)D, or a different health issue that mimics AD(H)D?

But then I wonder if the age the TBI occurred is a factor?

Example, if the TBI occurred in childhood, does the TBI also chronically distress normal early neurodevelopment?

M
Interesting question. If I understand correctly you are asking if an early tbi could result in abnormal development or growth of the brain.

I don't know enough to be sure but it doesn't seem too far fetched.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-21-18)
Old 06-11-18, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Interesting question. If I understand correctly you are asking if an early tbi could result in abnormal development or growth of the brain.

I don't know enough to be sure but it doesn't seem too far fetched.
Yes, I wonder if the distresses of having a TBI during early childhood development could also chronically distress early childhood brain neurodevelopment?

Or if we consider Tudorose's example, does experiencing the distresses of chronic fibromyalgia during early childhood, also chronically distress early childhood brain neurodevelopment?

Lots of different possible types of chronic distresses that could occur during early childhood, distressing brain neurodevelopment.

M
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 07:39 PM

Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,186 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another issue. Fibro has changed the way my adhd presents from being very hyperactive to mostly inattentive. The learning difficulties are worse and the executive function is worse. That said no meds has decreased my effectiveness and abilities a lot.

One of my concerns here too. I always backed myself to spot a person with adhd. I got it right except for 2 occasions. On those two occasions they were both narcissists. Narcissists can present like adhd but the difference is that the behaviour is by CHOICE and is not involuntary.
Fuzzy12 (06-12-18), Lunacie (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Here's another issue. Fibro has changed the way my adhd presents from being very hyperactive to mostly inattentive...
It is fascinating how personal experiences could influence individual AD(H)D presentation.

M
Fuzzy12 (06-12-18), tudorose (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 05:58 PM

I wonder how much Neuropsychiatric Interpretive Electroencephalograph Assessment Aid, could help understand the thread topics at hand?

I wonder why this EEG was only used on people 6-17 years of age?

Not sure if the EEG would help understand the age individual onset, but I wonder if the adults in question, could take both clinical and EEG types of AD(H)D assessments that would at least help confirm diagnosis, or possible misdiagnoses/other condition?

Quote:
Quote:
The Neuropsychiatric Interpretive Electroencephalograph Assessment Aid is a prescription device that uses a patient’s electroencephalograph (EEG) to provide an interpretation of the patient’s neuropsychiatric condition. The Neuropsychiatric Interpretive EEG Assessment Aid is used only as an assessment aid for a medical condition for which there exists other valid methods of diagnosis...
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_d...ws/K112711.pdf

Quote:
...INDICATIONS FOR USE
The Neuropsychiatric EEG-Based ADHD Assessment Aid (NEBAョ) uses the theta/beta ratio of the EEG measured at electrode CZ on a patient 6-17 years of age combined with a clinician’s evaluation to aid in the diagnosis of ADHD.
M

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-12-18 at 06:24 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-12-18)
Old 07-19-18, 01:54 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
There are multiple factors involved in the making of AD(H)D.

Types of distresses, like types of chronic depressions and types of chronic anxieties are some of the factors/components involved in making the AD(H)D.

Individual specifics depends on individual experiences.

M
Can't agree with this. SOME ADHD people have trouble coping with stress, but it is not in the top indicators for diagnosing ADHD and Depression isn't in there at all.

And you don't MAKE ADHD....you make it sound like if you get depressed you can cause ADHD...it's not a flip a switch type of thing.
Old 07-19-18, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Can't agree with this. SOME ADHD people have trouble coping with stress, but it is not in the top indicators for diagnosing ADHD and Depression isn't in there at all.

And you don't MAKE ADHD....you make it sound like if you get depressed you can cause ADHD...it's not a flip a switch type of thing.

You know funnily enough it might be. I mean that's the question if it is possible to switch on ADHD.

Imagine two pathways:

1. Typical neurodevelopmental pathway of ADHD resulting in a developmental lag and ultimately a brain that never quite catches up with the normal. What exactly are the structures in the brain involved? I think it's thought to be the prefrontal cortex, which is largely responsible for executive functions. Now what exactly is different in the prefrontal cortex (PFC from now on)? Are there physical differences? Are some parts smaller for example or subdued or overactive? Are there lesions?

2. Damage to the prefrontal cortex caused by something else. What if the damage results in the same abnormalities that occur with ADHD?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (08-10-18), mildadhd (07-19-18)
Old 07-19-18, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post

Fact #1) Brain areas in question, always develop in interaction with the emotional environment.

M
Fuzzy12 (07-20-18), Luvmybully (08-10-18)
Old 07-20-18, 01:54 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
You know funnily enough it might be. I mean that's the question if it is possible to switch on ADHD.

Imagine two pathways:

1. Typical neurodevelopmental pathway of ADHD resulting in a developmental lag and ultimately a brain that never quite catches up with the normal. What exactly are the structures in the brain involved? I think it's thought to be the prefrontal cortex, which is largely responsible for executive functions. Now what exactly is different in the prefrontal cortex (PFC from now on)? Are there physical differences? Are some parts smaller for example or subdued or overactive? Are there lesions?

2. Damage to the prefrontal cortex caused by something else. What if the damage results in the same abnormalities that occur with ADHD?

As it was explained to me by my kids doctor, ADHD is a chemical imbalance. Some people have too much, some too little, but it's an imbalance.

The type of brain injury you are talking about would more likely cause the person to be dyslexic, since that really is a different path than most folks brains go in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-20-18)
Old 07-20-18, 01:56 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
fact #1) brain areas in question, always develop in interaction with the emotional environment.

M
what?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-20-18), mildadhd (07-20-18)
Old 07-20-18, 02:06 PM
Forum Guru

I'm not really following along here. If a TBI occurs then we are talking brain damage. Yes sometimes brain damaged people exhibit the ame signs of ADHD but they do not have ADHD, they have brain damage, likely pathways are slower or misfiring.

I look at it like this, if TBI "caused" ADHD then why would medicine help with it? I mean if the part of the brain is damaged it's damaged, it's not going to bounce back while on meds and then go back to being broken off the meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-20-18)