ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Psychotics
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-10, 02:19 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough
Do antipsychotics interfere with Adderall?

I used to take 2.5 mg of Zyprexa at bedtime, and now take either 4 or 8mg of perphenazine instead. Since it's a dopamine blocker and Adderall is a dopamine agonist (am I using the correct term?) I asked the doc if it would interfere with each other. He said no, and I guess I'm not sure if I believe him haha. However, maybe they work on different pathways...does anyone here know how antipsychotics work vs. Adderall, in terms of this?
Old 08-15-10, 01:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

nwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nice
Re: Do antipsychotics interfere with Adderall?

I am not sure as I am not a MD, but I have been taking Abilfy which I think is similar and it does seem that my ADD meds dont work as well. Although it could be the increased depression thus the need for new meds which is causing the issues. I am sure there are some smarter people on this forum that will be able to give some insight.
Old 08-16-10, 03:57 PM

Noki is on a distinguished road

In my case it seemed that it does have some effect, at least with what I was taking.

This past May I switched to Geodon as an anti-psychotic for three weeks cos the Zyprexa I was on was getting too expensive. After about a week this seemed to have allowed the strength of my Adderall XR to shoot up tremendously. Maybe this was because (I was told) Geodon doesn't have a sedating effect like Zyprexa does, and I spent that entire month completely manic.

I had to go back on Zyprexa cos Geodon was giving me some horrific side-effects and I couldn't handle being manic anymore. But instead of taking 20mg like I was before I'm now on 7.5 of Zyprexa and that seemed to be a good dose to help me manage the mania caused by the Adderall without making me a zombie.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-10, 09:05 PM

sir_taps_alot has a spectacular aura aboutsir_taps_alot has a spectacular aura about

I don't think it matters what pathway they utilize,antipsychotics,mostly antagonize dopamine and dexidrine and ritalin are dopamine agonists. I think any interference between the two would be dose dependant.2.5mg of zyprexa (olanzapine) is a very low dose
Old 12-10-10, 03:20 PM

dgarrard29 is on a distinguished road

I believe so. As sir_taps_alot stated, "antipsychotics, mostly antagonize dopamine and dexidrine and ritalin are dopamine agonists."

I have experience as my source. I began taking 20 m.g. of Adderall and it worked. 2 days later, I then was prescribed and began taking 15 m.g. of Zyprexa. I haven't felt the effects of Adderall since. My psychiatrist too said they do not interfere.
Old 01-14-11, 12:08 PM
Contributor

Yellow will become famous soon enough

yes they do, but its dose dependant. if u take enough antipsychotics you probably would cancel the stimulant altogether, but a low dose shouldnt lessen too much
Old 01-24-11, 09:25 PM
Contributor

Hoshi has a spectacular aura aboutHoshi has a spectacular aura about

I think that it does. I'm on Geodon now, but I've taken perphenazine too. Both of them seem to inhibit my Adderall/Vyvanse a bit, even with me taking the max dose of Vyvanse.
I can't function without the antipsychotics though, so I'm stuck. So frustrating!
Old 01-24-11, 10:03 PM
Contributor

Icecream is a jewel in the roughIcecream is a jewel in the roughIcecream is a jewel in the rough

Most medications have an effect (as far as sleep is concerned)on me for about a day. Seroquel has been the only one that helps me sleep. I take half the lowest dose at night(until my dr cut). I guess I have been out of trying new meds for a few years, as there are quite a few that I have never heard of.
Old 01-25-11, 03:11 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,271 Times in 8,601 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to interference on the functional level its also always a wise thing to check for interference on the (de)metabolisation level.
Some meds need the same enzymes to de-metabolise and this may cause blood levels to rise unexpectedly high. An example is using Abilify together with fluoxetine.
Mignon (02-12-11)
Old 02-12-11, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

dixiepeep has disabled reputation

i am dealing with the same issue
Old 02-12-11, 09:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Conceptually, yes, antipsychotics should interfere with stimulants. My anecdotal experience, however, is that while they do not make the stimulants completely inert. I take a large dose of Abilify, for example, and an average dose of Ritalin, and both work just fine. The reason is unknown; the brain is a magical machine.
daveddd (03-01-11), Roxx1980 (06-28-17)
Old 02-13-11, 03:46 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I take Abilify 30mgs daily along with Dexedrine & I find I have less relief from the Dexedrine.I believe Abilify takes away the good feelings you would otherwise get from the Dexedrine.
Old 03-01-11, 10:51 AM

Ms.Maddbord is on a distinguished road

i am on 20 mg of prozac which has been enough to pick me up out of my depression,but needed something for anxiety and temper and ADHD...my doc added 5 mg daily dose of abilify...seems ok...activating but calming...it's only been a few days,but i took 30 mg of adderall yesterday and for the first time in 20 years i took a psychostimulant and still couldn't motivate,so something is going on there...
Old 03-01-11, 10:58 AM

Thanked 11,265 Times in 5,503 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
Conceptually, yes, antipsychotics should interfere with stimulants. My anecdotal experience, however, is that while they do not make the stimulants completely inert. I take a large dose of Abilify, for example, and an average dose of Ritalin, and both work just fine. The reason is unknown; the brain is a magical machine.
my sister is on abilify (not sure of dose) and adderall 40 mg a day and they are a good combo

kinda why i could really care less about the specific pathways a drug affects , when its prescribed to me
Old 03-29-11, 03:26 PM

Ms.Maddbord is on a distinguished road

so now i am on 10 mg adderall xr + 10 mg adderall ir mid-day,and 50 mg serquel at bedtime just until i get myself on a better sleep schedule....is 50 mg seroquel a low enough dose to not lessen the effectiveness of the adderall? i sure hope so because i need my adhd symptoms controlled more than i need to get to bed earlier....also had a third psych confirm that i am not borderline...good to hear....guess i should change my username haha