ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-19, 03:43 PM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
advancing sleep disorder

If you could sleep all day, would your sleep hours move in a progressive cycle ?

We usually have to wake up, so we cut this cycle before it evolves, have some cranky days and then we start over the torture.

I didn't have to wake up for some time though, and my "night" had been moving forward over some 2 weeks until it reached a full cycle.

What is that ?

Have I abused the system in a big way, or I just let it go while most ppl cut it in the early stage ?
Old 04-05-19, 07:05 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice
Not Sure I Understand What You Mean by "Advancing"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post

I didn't have to wake up for some time though, and my "night" had been moving forward over some 2 weeks until it reached a full cycle.
Do you mean that when you could sleep in in the morning, you went to sleep later and later, first during the night, and later on through the daytime, until eventually you were going to sleep in the early evening?

Or when you could sleep as late as you want, you eventually started going to sleep earlier and earlier in the evening until you were going to sleep first in the afternoon, then in the late morning, then in the early morning, then late at night again?

Or what?

Sleep Onset Insomnia (SOI), where people have trouble falling asleep at night (and usually trouble waking up in the morning), is said to be very common in people with ADHD. There are also protocols for re-setting your circadian rhythm (which worked amazingly for me), so you fall asleep earlier in the evening.

To your main question what would happen if you slept in as late as you like, I have no answer (because I don't really like sleeping in, and would prefer to just fall asleep sooner).

I'm just wondering if you could clarify what happened to you, and what you mean by advancing sleep?
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
userguide (04-06-19)
Old 04-06-19, 09:20 PM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
Re: advancing sleep disorder

I mean the first option: going to sleep later an later, and doing it long enough that you complete a full cycle.

That is, however, something more than a SOI or DSPS - when your "night" comes later than it should, but is still more or less regular - if you took a flight eastward at a set hour, sleep there and fly back, you'd be all set.

I am talking about a DSPS which is itself advancing throughout the day.

I don't know what it is called, never found a description anywhere.

So how did you treat yours ?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-19, 09:34 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,161 Times in 10,687 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

There is a name for it (actually, a few names). It is more common in blind people.

See https://www.sleepfoundation.org/non-...cts-prevalence for some information.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (04-07-19), aeon (04-07-19), userguide (04-07-19)
Old 04-07-19, 04:12 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice
Morning Sunlight: Dead Simple and Absolutely Free

It makes sense that if you are totally blind, your Suprachiasmic Nucleus (SCN) is unable to receive regular input of light and dark signals from the environment, so your circadian rhythm could get out of sync.

But (forgive me if I oversimplify) if we who are not blind just sleep in, stay indoors all day under artificial light, and then bathe our SCN's in fake blue light from our devices all evening, is it really surprising if we, too, get out of sync?

Elsewhere on the Sleep Foundation website Namazu mentioned, there are quite a few references to sunlight and "phototherapy" (but unfortunately no citations to the scientific literature).

For example in the article "Can You Change Your Circadian Rhythm?" it states: To adjust your sleep hours, the biggest tool at your disposal is light (or lack thereof). When it’s dark outside, your brain naturally signals to your body to release melatonin, a hormone that makes you feel sleepy. When it’s light outside, your brain sends a signal to cut off the melatonin supply, making you feel more awake. To shift your circadian rhythm earlier, dim the lights in your home an hour before bedtime to prepare yourself for sleep. As soon as the alarm goes off, turn on as many lights as you can to simulate a bright sunny morning.

The problem I see is that most of us live in a completely artificial light environment, so our SCN's have no longer have any idea whether it is light or dark outside, and even during the day seldom receive the full solar spectrum unfiltered by glass. (John Ott (Health & Light, 1973) showed that even clear glass blocks part of the natural spectrum affecting the growth and health of plants and animals. Jack Kruse (genius or nutcase neurosurgeon) even thinks much of ADHD is a matter of disordered light inputs slowing down our dopamine signalling.)

But try it yourself. I wonder if most sighted people could not achieve noticeable improvements--to their sleep, their attention, their mood, their immunity, and their energy balance--by trying one simple free experiment: Expose yourself to early morning sun--outdoors and without glasses--for some small period most days. And, of course, turn off or shield your devices in the evenings. (When I remember (ha ha), I wear amber goggles, and I will feel tired within 2 hours!)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-07-19), namazu (04-07-19), userguide (04-08-19)
Old 04-07-19, 10:52 PM
Contributor

Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder - Free Running Type
Non-24-Hour Sleep Wake Disorder

What stupid names

Yes, that would be it, thx namazu.

I am a bit sceptical of the light therapy - Last summer I would take an hour of bike ride every morning, and it didn't seem to help.

Most programmers, for example, spend less time in the sun, and stare at blue screen for 10+ hrs and do not develop a sleep disorder. What about Scandinavians ?

I don't know, I will try.
Old 04-08-19, 12:07 PM
Contributor

Taking My Own Advice...

As I was writing the above post yesterday, I realized I am probably the one most in need of trying the morning sunlight experiment.

Despite all the efforts I made last year to improve my sleep, I can see it is starting to get ragged again, with long intervals of tossing and turning before I can fall asleep. And since getting myself out the door is hard for me at the best of times, if natural sunlight has any benefits, I'm sure I have been going short.

Now that spring is here (at least in the northern hemisphere) it's a perfect time for me--and anyone else who is curious to try this-- to start.

I don't want to hijack this thread on advancing sleep disorder, so I will start another challenge and accountability thread on Morning Sunlight. Good luck with your advancing sleep pattern, userguide.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-08-19), Little Missy (04-08-19), namazu (04-08-19), userguide (04-08-19)
Old 04-08-19, 11:22 PM
Contributor

I am going to gulp some sunlight next week.

Now that you mentioned immunity I connected some dots.

Now I need to find out what to do outdoors.